PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

superklye
10-17-05, 12:03 AM
I went to the mall today and stopped by EB Games and happened to see they had this game on sale for $15. I played it on PS2 a year ago and loved it. I'm really not much of a console gaming fan, but this game grabbed me by the balls and wouldn't let go.

So I grabbed it for GC and I played for about 4 hours today. It's just fantastic...everything about it. It's somewhat difficult at times, and it's incredibly frustrating when your characters each miss three attacks/turns in a row, but all in all, it's a ton of fun, and probably the best LotR game to date.

Anyone else play/enjoy this game?

GamerGuyX
10-17-05, 12:37 AM
Anyone else play/enjoy this game?

By any chance when you say play/enjoy do you mean hate? :D

I'm sorry but EA needs to learn how to add a little personality to its rip-off cast of characters in that game...

superklye
10-17-05, 12:43 AM
Meh, it's okay for me. I'm not that interested in the story. I mean, it parallels the main story pretty much completely, so whatever. I'm just enjoying having a real RPG in the LotR universe. It's fun, you do crazy amounts of damage and such...I dunno, I'm a fan, obviously. :)

Edge
10-17-05, 03:13 AM
I bought it a while ago for Xbox for $10, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet (along with a pile of other games I got for cheap). It does look mildly interesting, although it's strange that the gameplay looks to be more similar to the eastern style than the western type. I mean, if ANY game screams "western RPG", it's LotR. I'm surprised they didn't make a Morrowind-type game based on LotR yet...

russ_3d
10-17-05, 03:22 AM
plleaaase dont say that edge. you might give them ideas.

if theres anything in rpg that im bored of its tolkien. its been done, already!

superklye
10-17-05, 09:25 PM
My only complaint is that I was just playing it for about an hour, and I'm in the mines of Moria. I only uncovered a tiny portion of the map, because every 10 steps, I had a battle with like 4 goblins or some albino cave wargs. That's fine, because I'm getting skill points and XP, but it was just annoying that I couldn't get more accomplished.

That being said, combat is an absolute blast! I'm so glad I bought this game.

Toss3
10-18-05, 07:02 AM
I'm also getting kind of bored of the rings here.. Game development studios should instead of doing hundreds of lotr games start working on games based on different fantasy books, like for instance The Wheel of Time (which is a series much better and longer than the lotr series, so if you haven't read it already, I certaintly recommend it!)! :)

superklye
10-18-05, 07:23 AM
I'm also getting kind of bored of the rings here.. Game development studios should instead of doing hundreds of lotr games start working on games based on different fantasy books, like for instance The Wheel of Time (which is a series much better and longer than the lotr series, so if you haven't read it already, I certaintly recommend it!)! :)
I disagree. It was great until book 5, but then Jordan got so full of himself the series just kind of stopped. I stopped reading after book 7 becuase nothing was going on anymore. I was just wasting my time reading 700+ pages of nothing in every book.

|MaguS|
10-18-05, 09:04 AM
If you haven't played the "Wheel of Time" game then be happy... It was total crap!

superklye
10-18-05, 09:31 AM
That's what I heard. I played the demo and just wanted to gouge my eyes out.

russ_3d
10-18-05, 11:12 AM
we have loads of other ripe universes as well.

palladium games RIFTS, TMNT & other strangeness, beyond the supernatural

warhammer - i know the MOC game, but 40K is ripe for a game - we could have a brilliant MMorpg with all the species ALL at each others throats, and 'guilds' like chapters,facets of chaos,tyrannids,necrons etc.

cyberpunk games - shadowrun being developed (yay) but there is tons there..

what about games based on the art of roger dean or rodney matthews? www.rodneymatthews.com

or based on art by dylan cole http://www.dylancolestudio.com/

or even something weird like a game about the internet, a la ghost in the shell????

also books like the culture series by iain M banks.. that would be wicked, hardcore gamers fighting a war and other scholars just hang and do odd stuff.. that would be acest.

i could spout hundereds of ideas..

any companies looking for a bright spark to help game development ideas? i could do this all day. :) :cool: :afro: :afro2: :angel:

Toss3
10-18-05, 03:10 PM
I disagree. It was great until book 5, but then Jordan got so full of himself the series just kind of stopped. I stopped reading after book 7 becuase nothing was going on anymore. I was just wasting my time reading 700+ pages of nothing in every book.
How can you say that when everything started happening after the 7th book :D?? and I was thinking of a battle for middle earth- type of game!

superklye
10-18-05, 03:14 PM
Like, in books 6 and 7 combined, TWO FRICKING DAYS WENT BY! That was like 1300 pages! He just keeps making it more and more complex instead of just finishing the damened thing. It got way too busy and just wasn't fun to read anymore.

Toss3
10-18-05, 03:31 PM
Like, in books 6 and 7 combined, TWO FRICKING DAYS WENT BY! That was like 1300 pages! He just keeps making it more and more complex instead of just finishing the damened thing. It got way too busy and just wasn't fun to read anymore.
Well I that's one thing that's good with the series; it will never end :p but yeah you're right... they're a bit slow, but still it would make a nice game! :)