PDA

View Full Version : SLI + Dual Displays.. system thinks I have 3 monitors

SignorSalad
10-18-05, 10:41 AM
Since the 81.84/85 drivers came out, I decided to take the plunge with SLI since I would be able to switch in and out of SLI without a reboot.

I have dual displays that up to now I keep in dual-view. After installing SLI, cleaning the old driver set, and installing the new drivers (tried both 81.84 and .85) the system has showed 3 monitors in my display settings instead of 2.

This is a problem because for whatever reason to get any output from the graphics card (I have the monitors hooked up to card #2) I have to set the output to display 2 and 3. If I switch into to SLI, the output goes to display 1, which is basically outputting nowhere. My monitor remains blank not getting any input (as if in power save) till I VNC (remote desktop) from another system into it and switch things around to get output going to display 2. When I switch out of SLI and back to Dual-view, invariably the main output is once again directed to only display 1. Again I have to VNC into my system and set the output manually back to display 2 and 3.

I have uninstalled all monitors from my device manager, rebooted, plus reinstalled the monitor drivers, all to no avail. Not having to reboot when switching between SLI and dual-view is great, but having to VNC into my system just to get the displays working is a giant load of suck. reaaaally annoying.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have a problem where SLI now causes an extra display to show up in your display settings? Are you supposed to have your monitors hooked up to the 2nd card (the one closest to the normal PCI slots)? If I hook up the monitors to Card 1, I get a black screen after booting to windows, but my monitors stay on as if powered up. Which is different from the other situation where they are getting no output as if in power save mode.

I don't know how to get rid of the extra fake monitor, the one that the driver defaults output to after switching into or out of SLI mode.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

SignorSalad
10-19-05, 02:50 PM
No-one who uses SLI has extra displays showing up in the display property settings page?

GlowStick
10-19-05, 03:41 PM
My primary monitor(crt) is counted as monitor 1, my Secondary (LCD) is coutned as monitor 3. I have a unenabled ghost '2'. however when i switch from sli to non sli it goes back to the configoration that i was useing before i enabled sli. Dosent matter what monitor was primary before or not. your issue is definatly werid not sure what to say about it hm.

garikfox
10-19-05, 03:55 PM
No-one who uses SLI has extra displays showing up in the display property settings page?

Same here but mine is 2.

PlugNPlay Monitor
Samsung Syncmaster 997DF etc.

GlowStick
10-19-05, 04:12 PM
On a nother note, i connect my monitors to the card closeist to the cpu.

SignorSalad
10-19-05, 04:56 PM
On a nother note, i connect my monitors to the card closeist to the cpu.

Ah... thanks glow! When I first hooked up I didn't get any output at all hooking up to the card closest to the CPU. So I just figured I had to have it the other way.

So I switched back to using card #1 closest the CPU and now I have exactly the same thing you do. Display 1 and 3 are used while 2 is a ghost. I can switch back and forth between SLI and Dual View now without having any major display issues.

cheers to you :beer:

GlowStick
10-19-05, 05:34 PM
Sweet,

btw, as i have many many many monitor combo's i like to use im in constant desktop icon hell. Know of any program that arranges them back with a click of a button? ultramon has the feature but it dosent work right heh.

SignorSalad
10-19-05, 06:05 PM
Sweet,

btw, as i have many many many monitor combo's i like to use im in constant desktop icon hell. Know of any program that arranges them back with a click of a button? ultramon has the feature but it dosent work right heh.

I was in the same hell till I said the hell with it and cleaned up my entire desktop by putting the things I use the most often into the quick launch menu.

Konfabulator (if you are familiar with it: http://www.konfabulator.com ) has a desktop launch widget, where you drag shortcuts to your fav programs into a folder that the widget reads and builds a neat little launch list. However, I couldn't get it to recognize 1/2 the shortcuts, so I gave up on it.