PDA

View Full Version : WTB/TF: Older Geforce

Serath
10-18-05, 10:49 AM
My girlfriend's rig is currently running a Geforce 4 MX 440. I'm looking for almost ANYTHING better for her. Here's the deal. She loves the Sims and has been trying to get into The Sims 2, but it frustrates me cuz it runs so slow most of the time. Her specs are:
Celeron 1.2ghz
256MB PC100 SDRAM
GF4MX440 AGP

So... ANYTHING better would be appreciated. I was thinking high end Geforce 4 era, but I'm open to any offers.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Q
10-19-05, 10:29 PM
Just thought that I would let you know.... Sims 2 is going to run like crap on that system no matter what. It doesn't run GOOD on my system (see below). Every element in that system is just about evenly matched for the other, so getting a more powerful card wouldn't help too much. Especially not if your running XP with 256mb of memory. And that Celeron is killing you, that game EATS processors for breakfast...and the MX is..well...a criple...

And the thing is, each is a weak link in the system. You could upgrade the memory and video card and the processor would still hold you back. Same could be said for the other combinations when changing two components.

Sims 2 is a very demanding game.

That being said, good luck with the new card! ;D Hopefully someone around here has what you're looking for. Sorry for the buzz kill, just thought I would give you a heads up before you spent any money needlessly.

alucard_x
10-20-05, 11:38 AM
i have a 5800 ultra i've been trying to get rid of.

$90, will take offers.

Serath
10-20-05, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all of the offers so far, guys. I will still be entertaining offers until this saturday when she tells me what she wants to go with. Thanks to all who have replied already and keep em coming.

@Qlitchford: What you say is definately true, but we're just looking to slowly expand her system. Think 2003 budget system as what we're shooting for over the next little bit just until Feb. when I upgrade my system and give her the left-overs. I know what you're saying about the Sims 2. I've got about 512 PC133 ram and 1ghz thunderbird CPU just waiting on a card to hook her up with something.

sytaylor
10-20-05, 03:07 PM
Is a ti4400 anywhere near where you're looking? Have a 9800pro going spare too...

Rakeesh
10-20-05, 03:57 PM
I would just buy a geforce 6200. I paid $66 for one brand new about 4 months or so ago for my office computer. Not only is that card faster than any of the 4 and 5 series, but it also supports all of todays features.