PDA

View Full Version : Poor Battlefield 2 performance (with Soundblaster X-FI)

BLOODUK
10-18-05, 02:36 PM
I dont understand it with battlefield 2, it was fine with my
radeon 9700... but my 6800GT it feels really slow , frames are
ok but it also stutters when walking, but moving the camera
around and its fine.

athalon xp @ 2.2ghz 200mhz fsb
400mhz ddr - 2gb
500/500 swap file
6800GT using 81.85 drivers, tried them all i could try
overclocked 396/1000
8XAF
Performance -
NoXAA
Windows XP
Soundblaster XFI
Ive tried medium settings and it still feels slow
i dont understand it, F.e.a.r runs awsome , SS2 runs AWSOME

BLOODUK
10-18-05, 03:18 PM
I just put battlefield 2 to Software sound and the performance has gone
up and the 80% of the stuttering has gone...

wtf? , is there something wrong with this XFI or something

Omega53
10-18-05, 03:43 PM
I just put battlefield 2 to Software sound and the performance has gone
up and the 80% of the stuttering has gone...

wtf? , is there something wrong with this XFI or something

Have you downloaded the beta drivers from creative

BLOODUK
10-18-05, 03:55 PM
Have you downloaded the beta drivers from creative

yep, they are the same as the ones i got on the cd..
could do with an update, i see the creative forum members
are complaining big time

SLippe
10-18-05, 04:57 PM
Yeah, a similar problem occurred back in the day with Creative Sound Blaster Live! drivers and Ghost Recon.

MikeC
10-18-05, 06:14 PM
Not sure if this applies to your situation (nForce 4 motherboard)

Due to a handful of problems the SoundBlaster X-Fi has been causing nForce4 based motherboard owners, Creative forum representative has anounced a solution.

A problem was identified on nForce4 based systems where the system ran into difficulties, related to the enumeration of the cards with 2MB (X-Fi XtremeMusic and X-Fi Platinum).

View their forum to read more about the problems and solution, or just click on the quote to go directly to the post.

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4031&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

BLOODUK
10-18-05, 06:28 PM
Mines an nforce 2, and also it still stutters in strike at karkand or what ever
it NEVER did it with my radeon :( :(

BLOODUK
10-18-05, 07:05 PM
In rivatuner i have enabled

: Force constant Performance Level : for Performance 3D

Ive noticed much smoother frame rates to battlefield 2, it stutters
now and then but it doesnt feel really slow anymore , was my
card throttling?? i also played ss2 and that also felt alot smoother.

smthmlk.
10-18-05, 09:55 PM
...frames are
ok but it also stutters when walking, but moving the camera
around and its fine.

Sounds like server lag and/or a bad connection. try different servers, especially those with less than 32 players (try 24/20/16/10 player servers). if it persists, then I would guess it could be something on your end.

subbo
10-19-05, 11:02 AM
Your GT OC might be botched too, I used to get worse performance when the OC was too much even if it passes the auto oc test. So I lowered my clocks to near default and it ran much better.

Also, do NOT ALT-TAB to adjust your volume etc. It causes horrific stutter and seems to worsen each time you switch out and back. I'ts not swapping either its something RAM related unless they fixed it, and it lasts until you quit and restart the game.

SigmaOrionis
10-19-05, 05:14 PM
Bring down the console and type.

renderer.drawfps 1

This will give you your framerates in the game. What do they look like?

Like earlier poster said it could be server lag. See if its smooth in single player mode.

hoop
10-19-05, 11:27 PM
Same here,Soon as i enter a server(no matter the size) it lags really bad for like the first 5 mins then it subsides for a few then comes back for a few then repeats.I've tried everything nothing semm's to work.I even set it to software same result's.U can see my computer spec's and i think with what im pimping i should have hardly any lag.Also i only lag like this on BF2 thats it.
I can play any other game fine without any lag.

tranced43
10-20-05, 12:28 AM
Same here,Soon as i enter a server(no matter the size) it lags really bad for like the first 5 mins then it subsides for a few then comes back for a few then repeats.I've tried everything nothing semm's to work.I even set it to software same result's.U can see my computer spec's and i think with what im pimping i should have hardly any lag.Also i only lag like this on BF2 thats it.
I can play any other game fine without any lag.

i think the RAM could use a boost to 2 gig...but just my opinion...BF2 likes 2 gigs

Tym
10-20-05, 09:31 AM
Have you tried the latest ForceWare (81.85)? I had terrible stutters and slowdowns in BF2 in X-Fi/Ultra Quality mode with 78.05 and 81.84, now they are gone. Perhaps there was a conflict of some sort.

hoop
10-20-05, 06:40 PM
Have you tried the latest ForceWare (81.85)? I had terrible stutters and slowdowns in BF2 in X-Fi/Ultra Quality mode with 78.05 and 81.84, now they are gone. Perhaps there was a conflict of some sort.

yes and same result's.

BLOODUK
10-20-05, 06:57 PM
Read below problem remains..... it seems to be walking by walls
and tanks, but if i walk to the mountains as they say
there is NO stuttering..... lower textures everything to low
still does it

Fx-Rat
10-20-05, 07:38 PM
You have Vsync turned on in videocard settings? I also have Dynamic shadows OFF in game.I also responded to your other thread about taking out your soundcard and drivers.

BLOODUK
10-20-05, 07:57 PM
Doom3 quake 4 SS 2 all working perfectly now due to a refresh rate problem
causing all the stuttering, i went back to what i used to do with regedit
refresh rate forcing... totaly fixed that lot.

The only thing left now is, Battlefield 2!

Vsync is on yep :p , battlefield 2 is an odd one though how it can stutter
near walls, but be perfectly fine elsewhere

subbo
10-21-05, 04:56 PM
Ah, so the game is just bogging down the GT and when you have Vsync on it goes between half speed and full speed or half and 1/4th speed. The stutter is caused by the screen being filled with a bumpmapped wall.. unless it stutters when youre not even looking at a nearby wall.

Also you cannot dismiss how much CPU power BF2 needs to predict the movement of other players. The more players on the server and the more lagged you or the server are the more your CPU is hammered.

I play BF2 at 1600x1200 with no AA and 4xAF and some buildings like the TV station in Sharqi or those constuction buildings can run really badly, and I believe its the multiple lightmaps and shaders bogging down the GT at such a high res. Also the smoke grenade kills the frame rate when youre close to the smoke but the tank smokes dont. Artillery blasts together with a tank or other explosion effect are a slideshow too. Of course the effect quality setting affects this.