PDA

View Full Version : Some trouble with Q4

Pages : [1] 2 3

PaiN
10-18-05, 07:13 PM
Basicly the game wont start/// I launch, no matter from where(DT shortcut, run or disk) The splash screen comes up, I hear DVD access, the screen goes black for a sec., then pop I'm back on the desktop. It did this to me when I first tried OpenAL but I managed to get back and set the sound to default. I played through fine but after I quit out and tried to restart it did it again.
I tried a reinstall of the game, that did no good...I went and got an X-Fi (installed no issue) but the the game still won't start. I'm running the FW 81.84s I'm going to try a few others and report back....Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? tx

leca
10-18-05, 07:34 PM
It might be a SecuROM 7 issue, try using Anti-Blaxx :)

jAkUp
10-18-05, 07:36 PM
Try the 81.85's just for the hell of it :D As for me, I'm finally gonna pick my games up soon!

PaiN
10-18-05, 07:56 PM
I just went up to the 81.85's....no fix :(
I took the sound card(s) out...and the game still will not start. I'm trying a reinstall with, no sound card installed atm.

NWCook
10-18-05, 07:56 PM
I'm having the same dump to desktop issue. Never had a problem with any other games before. Tried the 81.85s and didn't help.:(

PaiN
10-18-05, 08:10 PM
NW, what are you system specs? tx
ok...still a no go, I've even tried an install to C:\ and got it off my RAID, this did not help either, the game continues to dumppto desktop.
I'm going to roll back to 78.01 and see what happens.

NWCook
10-18-05, 08:26 PM
Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754
ASUS K8V (Via K8T800) - using on-board sound
1GB Corsair Value Select PC3200
EVGA Geforce 6800 GT AGP(400/1050)

-was running 78.01 FWs then tried the beta 81.85...both dump to desktop.

PaiN
10-18-05, 08:41 PM
-was running 78.01 FWs then tried the beta 81.85...both dump to desktop.

Official 78.01s didn't work for me either/// I'm at a complete loss , I unload my virus scanner, setpoint drvs., even uninstalled quicktime ...the game continues to dump to desktop everytime.
This stinks.....NW,strange question; Do know what IDE controller(if your running IDE) the optical drive is on that Q4 is installed and run from is? Mine is a DVD-RW, Master on IDE2.

I'm going to try running it on my #2 machine.

NWCook
10-18-05, 09:03 PM
Don't really know how to find out the IDE info...my computer was built by Monarch Computer about a year ago. If you could tell me how I'll check. I do know it is a Sony DVD-ROM drive and is the only optical drive in the computer.

PaiN
10-18-05, 09:20 PM
Don't really know how to find out the IDE info...my computer was built by Monarch Computer about a year ago. If you could tell me how I'll check. I do know it is a Sony DVD-ROM drive and is the only optical drive in the computer.
Then its likely Master on IDE1...so, that kills that theory..
I installed Q4 on my #2 an XP2500+(Albatron nF2Ultra mobo), 1gb Corsair Value RAM, FX5700(FW 78.01), SBlive, 2 IDE HD's and one IDE DVD-RW(master on IDE 2, also) and WinXP Pro SP2. I had adsolutely no problem running the game. :confused:
So WTH??? #2 is the family's machine....its old and gets tons of use and kid abuse, I'm not so good about maintaincing it....and by no means does it have up to date hardware...but somehow it runs what my main machine can't even start???
I'm totally stumpped, I need to sleep on this before I do something stupid.....really totally stupid

forgot to mention....I killed all the OCs first thing, before I ever thought about some other fix

Lazaredz
10-18-05, 09:42 PM
Only thing I could suggest is:

Delete Q4
Delete the idsoftware folder
Empty recycle bin
Run some sort of reg-fix program (Norton Windoctor for example)
Defrag drive
Attempt new install NOT USING THE DEFAULT FOLDER

I mean, it sounds like a regeisty issue to me.

Only other thing I can think of is editing the .cfg to make sure the soundcard changes you made before are gone.

Good luck!

skoprowski
10-18-05, 09:51 PM
I have the same problem :(

MUYA
10-18-05, 09:54 PM
If you run some form of virtual CD program, then Quake4 will problem running. It says so in the readme file! It was acting funny with daemon tools loaded. So I unloaded Daemon tools and Quake4 started playing nice.

skoprowski
10-18-05, 10:44 PM
Update!!! Installing the new beta drivers for my Audigy 4 solved the problem. They are the beta OpenAL drivers dated Sept 21 on Creative's site.

Off to play Quake :)

SH64
10-18-05, 11:21 PM
Update!!! Installing the new beta drivers for my Audigy 4 solved the problem. They are the beta OpenAL drivers dated Sept 21 on Creative's site.

Off to play Quake :)

Thanks for the info! gonna download'em just in case. i have a 2ZS.

NWCook
10-19-05, 12:00 AM
OK finally got it to work. Reading how skoprowski got it up and running by installing new sound card drivers I remembered how I bought a cheap refurbished Audigy 2 a few months ago. Unfortunately I was getting an annoying popping sound with the card so I took it out and went back to on-board sound. On a whim I decided to pull the card out of storage and try it again. It works. So on my rig at least it looks like an issue with the on-board sound. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get rid of this popping sound.

PaiN
10-19-05, 05:38 AM
I have a fresh XP instalation.....I have installed Q4 the way it was ment to be (no virtual CD etc.) all the drivers were installed clean and are as up to date as I could get.
I didn't wake up with any good ideas on what could be wrong :(

Stakes
10-19-05, 07:57 AM
I had the same problem until I disabled my SB Extigy, just ordered a new sound card. My friend has had the problem of Q4 asking for cd1 and not responding to it. She tried a friends install and still the same thing,she has a dvd-rom and a cd-rom and both keep asking for cd1. Any input would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Ninjaman09
10-19-05, 08:27 AM
I had the same problem until I disabled my SB Extigy, just ordered a new sound card. My friend has had the problem of Q4 asking for cd1 and not responding to it. She tried a friends install and still the same thing,she has a dvd-rom and a cd-rom and both keep asking for cd1. Any input would be greatly appreciated.:confused:
Does she have virtual drive emulation software running like Alcohol 120 or Daemon Tools? Other than that I don't have a clue. That really sucks, I don't have any problems here and I'm running D-Tools in the background all the time.

Stakes
10-19-05, 10:12 AM
She had Alcohol 120 installed but uninstalled it and it still askd for cd1.

PaiN
10-19-05, 11:16 AM
She had Alcohol 120 installed but uninstalled it and it still askd for cd1.
You might have reinstall the game...

I'm going to try a radical fix for my own troubles.....going to Intel

Riptide
10-19-05, 11:22 AM
Wow sounds like this game has a few problems then. Bummer.

alucard_x
10-19-05, 12:10 PM
i'm willing to bet money that you guys have the dvd version. i was on #quake4 yesterday and there was 3-4 people that were having the same issue where it drops back to desktop and they had the dvd version and it kept asking to have the dvd in the drive.

from what i read, this was an issue with doom3 as well and was on activisions support site, and it had something to do with the copy protection and winxp sp2.

i'm not sure of a fix, and i made sure to get the cd version.

for the person above where it keeps saying insert CD1, you have to reboot your computer after you install Q4. i had the same issue, and the game doesn't make you reboot for some reason. again.. i think its this copy protection bull****

extreme4377
10-19-05, 12:26 PM
You guys go through so much just to get a game running. Why not leave your clocks at stock? O/C'ing is sick and lets you take advantage of you investment but seriously, it gives you more problems then it solves. Anyways, good luck!

PaiN
10-19-05, 01:40 PM
i'm willing to bet money that you guys have the dvd version. i was on #quake4 yesterday and there was 3-4 people that were having the same issue where it drops back to desktop and they had the dvd version and it kept asking to have the dvd in the drive.

from what i read, this was an issue with doom3 as well and was on activisions support site, and it had something to do with the copy protection and winxp sp2.

i'm not sure of a fix, and i made sure to get the cd version.

Ah...something I'd haven't tried or thought of (maybe a firmware update for my NEC DVD-RW might help too) :) Tx much alucard_x, I called EB and they're holding a CD version for me.
Intel will have to wait ......