PDA

View Full Version : Best Drivers for the 6800GT?

Killroy X
10-18-05, 08:52 PM
Geeze, with all these different drivers coming out, I can't figure out what's coming or going.

I just upgraded to the 81.85's and I got a 2 FPS increase of the 77.xx .

Just wanted to know with the card I have and playing F.E.A.R or Quake IV, what drivers are people finding to be the best.

Loaded question, but thought I'd take a shot!:)

mike2h
10-18-05, 09:09 PM
8185 or 7805

michaelj
10-18-05, 10:50 PM
81.85 is the best one

saturnotaku
10-18-05, 10:55 PM
Geeze, with all these different drivers coming out, I can't figure out what's coming or going.

I just upgraded to the 81.85's and I got a 2 FPS increase of the 77.xx .

Just wanted to know with the card I have and playing F.E.A.R or Quake IV, what drivers are people finding to be the best.

Loaded question, but thought I'd take a shot!:)

Congratulations, you're the 10,000,000th person to ask this question! Here's a cookie, and a suggestion that you continue to research this yourself, find a driver set that works best for the games you play and stick with them.

supra
10-19-05, 01:16 AM
Im using 78.05 here and they have been great.
About to try 81.85

Killroy X
10-19-05, 10:34 AM
Congratulations, you're the 10,000,000th person to ask this question! Here's a cookie, and a suggestion that you continue to research this yourself, find a driver set that works best for the games you play and stick with them.

Thanks for the tip smart ass!!

SLippe
10-19-05, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the tip smart ass!!
That "smart ass" is a Moderator/Admin, so I'd be careful where you tread.

As for your question, I have a 6800 GT and I love the 81.85 set. However, everyone's system is different, so like he said, try a few different ones out. Good luck.

mike2h
10-19-05, 03:58 PM
That "smart ass" is a Moderator/Admin, so I'd be careful where you tread.

As for your question, I have a 6800 GT and I love the 81.85 set. However, everyone's system is different, so like he said, try a few different ones out. Good luck.

i dont think so. just because he is a mod does not mean he is above reproach if he posts a 'smartass' response. which his was.
i agree with the general idea he was getting across, just not the method.

Pennyboy
10-20-05, 02:58 AM
[QUOTE=GRUNT]

Hey GRUNT nice nVidia logo!! that is brilliant. BTW have you ever been to Wichita Falls, TX?? I use to live there! it's not too far from Oklahoma City just incase you haven't heard of it.

macatak
10-20-05, 03:14 AM
81.84 or 81.85 are best for FEAR i found.

j0j081
10-20-05, 03:17 AM
I agree with saturnotaku. Imagine if everyone who visited this forum started a new thread asking at any given time, what the best drivers are for there card. It would be nuts. A better way is to look for the most recent stickies and see what people are saying in there. Perhaps even ask your question in there.

MUYA
10-20-05, 03:34 AM
I am in total agreement with Saturnotaku.

Any more of these "which drivers is best for this or that?" shall get deleted. Enough is enough.

Do your own research if you cannot find them articles, it doesn't take much time to install and test etc. It's not that hard to do. In any case most of the time it is case of 5% or less increase or decrease in average fps..i mean really. Stick to the drivers which gives less grief!!!

myshkinbob
10-20-05, 05:45 PM
Asking people to search is easiest for moderators, but have you ever tried entering "6800GT best drivers" in the forum search, you get a lot of hits, a lot of signal to noise.

Currently the best bet is to go to the thread for the latest driver, and read through the pages until you find a post from someone with your card that says how well it works on it. It's not ideal either.

There really aren't that many different cards. Why not create two sticky threads; "best drivers for 6800 series", "best drivers for 7800 series", where people can post positive feedback only on the drivers that work well with their card. With each new driver set, someone will post in that thread if the new drivers work well on their card, so...

If anyone wants to know the latest best driver for their card, they'd only have to click the last page of that thread.

Just make it clear the threads are not for posting problems with drivers, only what works well. The existing "forceware xx.xx" threads cover the problems with drivers fine.

That'd give people looking for the 'best' drivers an instant answer, and cut down on the noise from the "which drivers?" posts, and save you moderators from needing to write smartass replies/lock or delete threads.

just an idea. :)

Killroy X
10-20-05, 06:30 PM
I thought this was a forum guys? I went back 6 pages and put in a search that didn't bring up exactly what I was looking for, so ...well I posted a question on a forum that has people who have good insight on Nvidia Drivers. Isn't that the reason a forum exist?

Anyway, thanks to most for helping. I actually compared a couple with the Fear Test and for me, the 81.85's are the winner. Looks like they were just Certified too...

MUYA
10-21-05, 12:55 AM
Forums exist to help but for drivers there are butloads of feedback threads,,,doa search next time by using the serach function. Its all to irratating to have someone ask questions like this, the reality is that performance is going to be between 0-5% of each other between drivers. We won't see magical detonator performance increases anymore.