PDA

View Full Version : transparent aa settings help? (pls)

macachia
10-19-05, 07:44 AM
Hi, from reviews around i udner stand that TAA, being multisampling or supersampling can give u better quality

call of duty - multisampling
hl2/css - supersampling
ut2004 - supersampling

any idea what the settings for Cod2 demo, FEAR and Quake4/Doom3 should be?

Also, do you get degreaded performance with gamma correct antialiasing? using 81.85 drivers

thanks in advance

rewt
10-19-05, 08:28 AM
Just a guess, but I would say use multisampling for OpenGL and supersampling for Direct3D.

macachia
10-20-05, 03:06 AM
anyone else pls? jackup? :p

particleman
10-26-05, 05:49 AM
I pretty sure transparent AA in OpenGL is borked at the moment, I wasn't to get it to work in any Quake 3 engine games, including Call of Duty 1. I recommend using transparent Supersampling if the game can handle it without too much of a performance hit, and transparent multisampling in games where performance is an issue.

OWA
10-26-05, 11:50 AM
Yeah, it doesn't look like TAA:SS works in opengl. I haven't tried TAA:MS though.

The gamma AA works fine in the 81.85s (that is, no big performance hit like the 81.84s).

I use TAA:SS and Gamma AA for FEAR, HL2, CSS, UT2004. For COD2, I left all that off b/c the performance in the demo was so poor. Hopefully I'll be able to use those settings in the retail game.

fatal1ty
10-26-05, 12:50 PM
TAA:SS doesnt work in OGL, TAA:MS works when the application calls for it... so for now don't bother with TAA in opengl applications - it doesnt work. Unless the 81.85s forced MS, without the application calling for it, which is something that was being looked into.

zoomy942
10-26-05, 12:55 PM
i personally use SS with quincunx AA. at 1280x1024 that whole "blurry" issue doesnt come up, and with the softening of edges with quincunx, and then sharpness that SS AA brings, its great. MSAA was okay... but i didnt know that SS only worked sometimes.. i may have to start using MSAA instead of SSAA.

i use gamma correct as well, just cause it doesnt affect performance, so why not?