PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Flashlight Shadows?

Pages : [1] 2

karkrash81
10-19-05, 07:18 AM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that your flashlights in the game don't cast shadows like in Doom3?

I'll post a screenshot when i get home.

I'm running at high quality 1280x1024 using a 6800GT.

RAY16
10-19-05, 11:11 AM
Probably done for performance saving reasons. Shadows cast by your flashlight in doom 3 didn't even look like they were being cast, just projected right in front of you on some invisilbe surface. Your squadmates flashlights cast shadows on the environtment, though. Doesn't bother me at all.

Ninjaman09
10-19-05, 11:11 AM
Probably done for performance saving reasons. Shadows cast by your flashlight in doom 3 didn't even look like they were being cast, just projected right in front of you on some invisilbe surface. Your aquadmates flashlights cast shadows on the environtment, though. Doesn't bother me at all.
Yep, same here. I thought the shadows cast by the flashlight in Doom 3 just looked weird.

CaptNKILL
10-19-05, 12:00 PM
Yeah, and if the light is directly in front of you (ie, stuck to your gun while you are aiming) then you wont see a shadow anyway... so cutting it from the game isnt that important.

Remember the whole deal with Doom 3 shadows? People were accusing Carmack of doing completely pointless and stupid things with the shadows simply because they couldnt understand the concept of light being cast from a point close to your view. It might work better in a couple years when games can do realistic projected soft shadows (not soft edges... I mean real soft shadows). For now, this kind of thing isnt needed and looks funny when its there.

Ninjaman09
10-19-05, 12:55 PM
Yeah now that I think about it there were a couple of big arguments as to whether or not there were these extra polygons being rendered around the objects to emulate shadows or something. Pretty ridiculous but it just goes to show that the shadows really didn't look very good in the first place.

Brimstone7
10-19-05, 02:34 PM
As far as I know the flashlight still behaves like any other lightsource and casts shadows on the environment. It is difficult to see sometimes because of the angle of the flashlight but I'm pretty sure the shadows are still there. The same goes for your squadmates' lights as well.

Rakeesh
10-19-05, 02:58 PM
It could just be the angle from your view that the lightsource is being emitted. If your eyes are located in almost the same place as the lightsource, then you won't see a shadow. If your flashlight is in your hand though, you'll see the shadow.

I personally noticed the shadows cast by your own flashlight quite well in doom 3, and I thought it was pretty good. Is the flashlight in quake4 helmet mounted or something?

BrianG
10-19-05, 04:12 PM
Made the observation about the lack of shadows, but quickly realised it was perspective. One of the Co-op guys was running behind another and cast a shadow, looked cool.

Alpha, the light is attached to the weapon, which is line of site anyway.

I want to go home and kill Strogg.

karkrash81
10-19-05, 06:05 PM
Loving Quake 4 so far, can't get any homework done now...but earlier today at work I was in an abandoned steam plant with a flashlight and I experimented with shadows and it looks like Doom 3's shadows were pretty accurate. Anyhoo...tooks some screens and made an animation.

First, an animated GIF
http://portfolio.iu.edu/wflaniga/light_test/light-test.gif

Secondly, Doom 3
http://portfolio.iu.edu/wflaniga/light_test/D31.jpg
http://portfolio.iu.edu/wflaniga/light_test/D32.jpg

Finally, Quake 4
http://portfolio.iu.edu/wflaniga/light_test/Q41.jpg
http://portfolio.iu.edu/wflaniga/light_test/Q42.jpg

Brimstone7
10-19-05, 06:07 PM
Mystery Solved: turns out the "Ultra" quality setting in Quake 4 does not have the same functionality as it does in Doom 3. Under the Ultra setting, your flashlight, as well as anyone else's, does in fact cast shadows. Now, if only there was a way to have the flashlight cast shadows without having to use Ultra mode (which makes my game hiccup when I open doors)...

karkrash81
10-19-05, 06:14 PM
Config file setting, but which one? I would guess it's the same as in the doom 3 cfg file.

cyberbloke
10-21-05, 11:05 AM
I am definately seeing flashlight shadows. I am playing with everything maxed out except AA which is set at 4.
I have not tinkered with the config file.

karkrash81
10-21-05, 01:46 PM
cyberbloke, you are using ultra settings right?

In doom 3 flashlight shadows were enabled on high settings, whereas in quake 4 they are not. in ultra settings, the flashlight shadows are turned on.

SH64
10-21-05, 05:03 PM
Probably done for performance saving reasons. Shadows cast by your flashlight in doom 3 didn't even look like they were being cast, just projected right in front of you on some invisilbe surface. Your squadmates flashlights cast shadows on the environtment, though. Doesn't bother me at all.

QFT.
i did mention something about how wierd the shadows cast by the flashlight in Doom3 when it came out. they looked to me like they were "floating" in space.

karkrash81
10-22-05, 10:14 AM
Yeah i thought they looked kind of weird at first but I tried replicating it in a 3D software package and found out it's pretty accurate. A couple posts up I made a little animated GIF to show what i mean.

SH64
10-22-05, 11:06 AM
Yeah i thought they looked kind of weird at first but I tried replicating it in a 3D software package and found out it's pretty accurate. A couple posts up I made a little animated GIF to show what i mean.

Yeah i just got to see your pics .. thanks!

AH this thread reminded me to enable player shadows.

cyberbloke
10-22-05, 01:20 PM
cyberbloke, you are using ultra settings right?

In doom 3 flashlight shadows were enabled on high settings, whereas in quake 4 they are not. in ultra settings, the flashlight shadows are turned on.

Yes I'm on ultra. Should have read the whole thread before posting!

Dazz
10-22-05, 01:33 PM
Yeah i only play with ultra high settings.

agentkay
10-23-05, 12:11 AM
Yeah i just got to see your pics .. thanks!

AH this thread reminded me to enable player shadows.

How can you enable the player shadows?

SH64
10-23-05, 05:54 AM
How can you enable the player shadows?

Its in the config.cfg file .. just change the "0" to "1" in the 'showplayershadow' command.

i wonder if its possible to do the same & enable flashlight shadows without running at Ultra Quality ?

agentkay
10-23-05, 11:11 AM
Its in the config.cfg file .. just change the "0" to "1" in the 'showplayershadow' command.

i wonder if its possible to do the same & enable flashlight shadows without running at Ultra Quality ?

Thank you and I think I found the setting that enables the flashlight shadows in high quality mode.

Just change seta com_machineSpec "2" (high quality mode) into seta com_machineSpec "3"

Here are the other settings that differ between the two modes:

Quake4Config.cfg
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "256" (ultra)
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64" (high)

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "0" (ultra)
seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1" (high)

seta image_useNormalCompression "2" (only high)

seta image_useCompression "0" (ultra)
seta image_useCompression "1" (high)

seta image_anisotropy "8" (ultra)
seta image_anisotropy "4" (high)

seta com_machineSpec "3" (ultra)
seta com_machineSpec "2" (high)

seta g_brassTime "2" (ultra)
seta g_brassTime "1" (high)

However, there is one bug when you enable both the flashlight shadows AND player shadows. As soon as you point your flashlight towards the ground, its literally switched off/disabled but it happens only at a certain angle. If you disable the player shadows, the flashlight works normal at all angles.

A side note, I´m surprised how little the fps are reduced by switching on the flashlight shadows. The Ultra setting by itself is a real killer for my computer (6800nu 128MB and 1GB ram), especially in comparision to the Ultra setting in Doom 3. I never had such strong hicups and hd swapping in any other game like Quake 4 with Ultra settings. Even FEAR doesn´t cause such strong hicups, but its probably comparable to BF2 at highest texture settings on 64player maps. That Ultra setting is definitly a setting for computers with 2GB and/or videocard with at least 256MB ram.

SH64
10-24-05, 05:53 AM
Thanks i think i'm going to try it & see if it works alone without enbaling the Ultra settings .. because setting machinespec to 3 means Ultra & thus it might disable the specular/normals compression automatically.

That Ultra setting is definitly a setting for computers with 2GB and/or videocard with at least 256MB ram.

actually its for 512MB cards only. even 2GB of system RAM wont help IMO because it needs a ~ 500+ of video memory to store all the diffuse/speculars/normal maps data there & without any compression.

agentkay
10-25-05, 06:17 AM
Thanks i think i'm going to try it & see if it works alone without enbaling the Ultra settings .. because setting machinespec to 3 means Ultra & thus it might disable the specular/normals compression automatically.

No problem, you are welcome. :) I have just a 128MB card and only 1GB ram, trust me, I would have noticed if Quake 4 would be running with Ultra textures all out of sudden. lol The system menu does say "Ultra Quality" though but it can be ignored.

actually its for 512MB cards only. even 2GB of system RAM wont help IMO because it needs a ~ 500+ of video memory to store all the diffuse/speculars/normal maps data there & without any compression.

Since all your computers have video cards with 256MB, I can trust your word. :D Q4 seems to be the first game that truely needs 512MB cards for the Ultra setting then. It should be interesting how many games will come out with similar settings/demands over the next 12 months.

Ice =A=
11-22-05, 05:23 PM
Great work, agentkay! Thanks a lot, I really missed that Doom flashlight! :)
After all, it was the very first "real" flashlight in a game, everthing else were just bright circles on some walls...
I also can confirm what you wrote in your last post.
BTW: Does anyone see a real difference between High and Ultra Quality (besides the flashlight of course)?

ynnek
11-22-05, 07:38 PM
perfect agentkay!