PDA

View Full Version : SLI worth it?

BlackSands
10-19-05, 02:43 PM
Hey guys i'm thinking about getting a 7800gfx , should I get two or should I hold off until the next best thing comes out and just stick with one?

Ninjaman09
10-19-05, 02:46 PM
Well that really depends on what kind of display you'll be using. If you're running an LCD with a 1280x1024 native res, don't bother. If you're running a CRT that can do 1600x1200 at more than 75hz, go for it. I had a second GTX but I ended up returning it as I didn't feel the performance boost was well correlated to the price. ;)

Redeemed
10-19-05, 02:52 PM
Yes. SLi is for people whom will be playing games at 16 x12 or higher with max AA/AF settings and all other IQ settings maxed. I guess you'd still see a bump with the exact same settings as above just a resolution of 12 x 10 though- I doubt the increase would be worth the cost at that resolution though.

What kind of setup do you intend on running? What IQ settings are you aiming for when you game?

OWA
10-19-05, 02:59 PM
Definitely worth it for me but I try to run everything at 1600x1200 and try to use 8xS AA as often as possible. If you have a good CRT you even do crazy stuff like running Doom 3 at 2048x1536 with 4xAA/8xAF. Mine can only do 65hz at that rez so I play around with some games at that resolution but I wouldn't use it for long since it's tough on my eyes.

Redeemed
10-19-05, 03:18 PM
You know, this is SLIGHTLY off topic and I apologize, but when you mentioned gaming at 16 x 12 @ 65Hz OWA- are you using DVI or D-sub?

I ask because before I got my 6800GT I was using a 5950U. I could play most any DX8 game at 16 x 12 with 8xAA/8xAF and all IQ maxed, no problem. No ghosting, wasn't hard on my eyes, nothing.

But as soon as I got the 6800GT, I had to switch to DVI. Now, the images are much sharper, crisper, cleaner, and clearer, but I notice that in some games I get ghosting at 16 x 12, such as in HL2. Now, I did try playing HL2 @ 16 x 12 on my 5950U, and in the rare places where it'd be playable I didn't notice any ghosting, but suddenly with a 6800GT I do? Seems kinda' wierd. You wouldn't happen to have any idea as to why this is, would you?

BlackSands
10-19-05, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replys! Well what if I got a Dell 2005FPW 20.1" (16:10) then would that justify the use of SLI? Would like to run games with to the max ingame stuff , as for AA and AF I would like to run those up
to 4xAA/8xAF. Not a must mind you.

Heres the set up , my list I don't have these yet.

Two eVGA e-Geforce 7800GTX 256-P2-N529-AX Video Cards , Core clock 490MHz

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit

OCZ SLI 600W Power Supply

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi , with 6.1 speakers

Redeemed
10-19-05, 03:48 PM
Dude, that's a sweet setup! You wouldn't mind hooking me up with one, would ya'? ;)

Um, with that large a monitor I say go for it. But if I were you, I'd wait for the ASUS A8N-SLi X16 to come out. You really get a performance bump with SLi AA thanks to the dual x16 PCI-e lanes. Patience IS a virtue, after all. ;)

But, if you can wait for that new ASUS board to come out, then I recomend also waiting for the MSI equivalent to come out. The one set back about the new ASUS board is that it limits the use of your regular PCI slots when running dual graphics. So that killer new SB of yours might not fit in in other words. So, wait and see what MSI offers.

Ninjaman09
10-19-05, 03:57 PM
I'd get a PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 SLI personally, but otherwise, that's a kickass system. As for the monitor, there are some new 8ms 21.3" 1600x1200 monitors coming out now for good prices like the Samsung 214T, get one of those instead. ;)

OWA
10-19-05, 05:04 PM
You know, this is SLIGHTLY off topic and I apologize, but when you mentioned gaming at 16 x 12 @ 65Hz OWA- are you using DVI or D-sub?

The 65hz is for gaming at 2048x1536 and is with a 21" CRT. At 1600x1200 I use 85hz on it. Since it's a CRT, I'm using the DVI-to-Analog (dsub) adapter. As for my LCD, it only does 1280x1024@60hz although the refresh rate doesn't really matter with a LCD.

I'm not totally sure I understand what you're asking though. If you use a LCD and use the DVI connection rather than the analog connection, it'll definitely be sharper, clearer, etc. but I'm not sure how that affects ghosting. My LCD has digital and analog connections. If yours does as well and you're noticing ghosting when using the digital connection (DVI), try using the analog connection and using the DVI-to-analog adapter that should have come with your card or if the GT has an dsub connection, connect it to that (just to see using the digital connection is the reason for the ghosting).

If you're talking about a CRT, you really shouldn't be seeing any ghosting with a CRT and going through the DVI-to-dsub adapter really shouldn't affect the quality.

Redeemed
10-19-05, 08:58 PM
Um, yeah, I'm using a CRT- this one:

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_type.jsp?eUser=&prod_path=%2fComputers+and+Related%2fMonitor

The only game I noticed it in was HL2. FarCry wont even run at that resolution, and any other game I play at that resolution is either DX8 or early DX9 and runs smooth as ice.

Might it be driver related?

OWA
10-20-05, 01:57 AM
Can you provide a link directly to your model of monitor? Also, can you describe the ghosting (what it looks like) you're seeing in more detail.

With a CRT monitor, you shouldn't be seeing any ghosting. That is normally just an issue with LCD monitors. Also, using the DVI port on the card with a CRT really shouldn't be making it clearer, crisper, sharper etc. You shouldn't see much of a difference, if any, since the DVI port is for a LCD, providing it a digital connection instead of analog. With a CRT, it's still going to be analog so I'm not sure why you're seeing a big difference.

I guess I'd try another DVI-to-Dsub adapter to see if that helps, try another video cable if possible, if you have it connected to a switch or anything like that, remove it, and finally, try the other port on the video card. Might want to try different refresh rates also to see if that helps or makes it worse. Check to make sure you're actually getting the refresh rate you're asking for. Try the game with vsync on and off to see if that affects it.

OWA
10-20-05, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the replys! Well what if I got a Dell 2005FPW 20.1" (16:10) then would that justify the use of SLI?

Yeah, I think you should get that. I've been looking at that particular monitor for a while now so you can get it and then let me know how it is. :)

Amuro
10-20-05, 05:44 AM
Dude, that's a sweet setup! You wouldn't mind hooking me up with one, would ya'? ;)

Um, with that large a monitor I say go for it. But if I were you, I'd wait for the ASUS A8N-SLi X16 to come out. You really get a performance bump with SLi AA thanks to the dual x16 PCI-e lanes. Patience IS a virtue, after all. ;)

But, if you can wait for that new ASUS board to come out, then I recomend also waiting for the MSI equivalent to come out. The one set back about the new ASUS board is that it limits the use of your regular PCI slots when running dual graphics. So that killer new SB of yours might not fit in in other words. So, wait and see what MSI offers.
You woudn't be able to fit a sound card in with that motherboard in SLI

Redeemed
10-20-05, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Dude, that's a sweet setup! You wouldn't mind hooking me up with one, would ya'?

Um, with that large a monitor I say go for it. But if I were you, I'd wait for the ASUS A8N-SLi X16 to come out. You really get a performance bump with SLi AA thanks to the dual x16 PCI-e lanes. Patience IS a virtue, after all.

You woudn't be able to fit a sound card in with that motherboard in SLI

Um, that is what I was saying- the new ASUS board wont fit a soundcard if you are running two vcards- unless those vcards are single slot, and even then the sound card would have to fit under the SLi adapter between the two vcards. That is why I told him to wait and see if MSI's board is any better.

Redeemed
10-20-05, 07:24 PM
Can you provide a link directly to your model of monitor? Also, can you describe the ghosting (what it looks like) you're seeing in more detail.

With a CRT monitor, you shouldn't be seeing any ghosting. That is normally just an issue with LCD monitors. Also, using the DVI port on the card with a CRT really shouldn't be making it clearer, crisper, sharper etc. You shouldn't see much of a difference, if any, since the DVI port is for a LCD, providing it a digital connection instead of analog. With a CRT, it's still going to be analog so I'm not sure why you're seeing a big difference.

I guess I'd try another DVI-to-Dsub adapter to see if that helps, try another video cable if possible, if you have it connected to a switch or anything like that, remove it, and finally, try the other port on the video card. Might want to try different refresh rates also to see if that helps or makes it worse. Check to make sure you're actually getting the refresh rate you're asking for. Try the game with vsync on and off to see if that affects it.

Sorry, here is the monitor I have:

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_subtype.jsp?eUser=&prod_path=%2fComputers+and+Related%2fMonitor%2fCRT +-+Flat

It is the 955DF. Not a bad monitor, considering how old it is. ;)

Well, I can play any other game at 1600x1200, Maxed IQ/AA/AF/Vsync enabled no problem (some games are bismally slow at that setting, obviously, while others play exceptionally well). DX8, OpenGL, and early DX9 games play fine at that setting and with rather smooth framerates. FarCry, though it isn't playable at such settings, doesn't show any ghosting. It only happens in HL2.

And maybe it isn't "ghosting". What I'm seeing is like a trail behind the characters. Almost like the game was running in slow motion with motion-blur enabled. As I've never experienced "ghosting" before, I figured that was it.

Odd, eh?

Redeemed
10-20-05, 07:37 PM
http://www.computingreview.com/cat/hardware/monitors/samsung/PRD_221269_5637crx.aspx

That is a better description of the monitor. For some reason, the link to the Samsung site only takes you to a list of monitors, but not mine. Even if I clicked on my monitor, it's like the web-address doesn't change. Wierd.

Anyways, that's my monitor.

Elfear
10-21-05, 08:27 PM
Sorry, here is the monitor I have:

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_subtype.jsp?eUser=&prod_path=%2fComputers+and+Related%2fMonitor%2fCRT +-+Flat

It is the 955DF. Not a bad monitor, considering how old it is. ;)

Well, I can play any other game at 1600x1200, Maxed IQ/AA/AF/Vsync enabled no problem (some games are bismally slow at that setting, obviously, while others play exceptionally well). DX8, OpenGL, and early DX9 games play fine at that setting and with rather smooth framerates. FarCry, though it isn't playable at such settings, doesn't show any ghosting. It only happens in HL2.

And maybe it isn't "ghosting". What I'm seeing is like a trail behind the characters. Almost like the game was running in slow motion with motion-blur enabled. As I've never experienced "ghosting" before, I figured that was it.

Odd, eh?

I get the same thing in HL2. I think it's a problem with the newer drivers. I was using the XG81.82 set and after switching back to 78.03's i noticed the tearing/ghosting disappear for the most part.

Redeemed
10-22-05, 09:24 PM
So, you are recommending the 78.03's, then? I shall try them and see if that helps. Thanks! :D

Elfear
10-23-05, 02:06 AM
The 78.03's seemed to fix the problem for me. I'm also trying the new official 81.85's and I haven't noticed any weirdness so far.