PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360s at Wal-Mart

Clay
10-19-05, 02:18 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000753064065/

evilchris
10-19-05, 02:53 PM
Almost here...gonna be great to be playing next-gen console in a month or so.

Clay
10-22-05, 01:36 PM
I played the demo unit at a nearby Wal-Mart the other night. I wasn't really blown away by it. Call of Duty 2 is one of the playable demos and it had no AA applied. Kameo (sp?) did nothing for me. That's about it, hard to tell much from their demos and rolling videos I suppose.

LiquidX
10-22-05, 11:28 PM
No Wal-Mart for miles around here so I cant check it out. How did the controller feel Clay and how would you say COD2 compares to the PC version aside from the AA issue? And also how does the system look in person? Better than the pictures I hope.:cool:

Clay
10-23-05, 10:16 AM
The controller felt good. Regarding size, I'd describe it as a good balance between the original Xbox controller and the later released S type controller. I has a rubberized underside which I really liked and it is contoured underneath for a really good fit/feel in your hands. I liked the button placement as well.

COD2 "felt" a lot like the PC version (it was the same opening demo level). It didn't seem like it was on a console (if that makes any sense). It's hard to compare actual control because I cannot stand playing FPS games with a gamepad.

I couldn't see the actual system, only the controller was visible (and a widescreen display of course).

Droid6
10-25-05, 11:30 PM
I just played it at Wal-Mart also. The controller is pretty awesome and the graphics were pretty good on both games I played (Kameo and COD2) but the the lcd they had it hooked up to had some ghosting and the contrast was set way too high so some of the detail was washed out. I can't wait to play that sucker on my perfectly calibrated Mitsubishi. Kameo wasn't too bad it seems like a game that I could get into just for the fact its an easy game to pick up. COD2 was hell with that controller, I looked like I never played a FPS before. Nobody at the store seem to even care that they had a 360 there, I just walked right up and started playing it. Hopefully nobody wants one around here so I can get one for sure on the 22nd.

Edge
10-26-05, 02:34 AM
My local Wal-mart had an Xbox 360 demo unit, but the geniuses apperently weren't smart enough to figure out how to plug the controller into it :rolleyes: . Love the people that work there...

But, my local Best Buy had it on display, using a nice sized HDTV and 5.1 surround sound, no less. I didn't see much of it, but the CoD2 demo looked ok, ran smooth but there were noticable jaggies and the graphics weren't all that spectacular (which I'm not really surprised at, since the PC version doesn't look all that great either). Looking forward to when they finally load up some full games on that configuration though, since stores are getting the games a week or so early I'm hoping they'll put in Perfect Dark Zero or something like that when they get them :)

Oh, and for those interested, you can already buy the Xbox 360 controller (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7477349&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01063&id=1125465741642), which works on both the Xbox 360 and the PC.

saturnotaku
10-26-05, 08:21 AM
Oh, and for those interested, you can already buy the Xbox 360 controller (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7477349&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01063&id=1125465741642), which works on both the Xbox 360 and the PC.

Sweet. I've been looking to replace my venerable Sidewinder USB 1.0 gamepad but haven't been able to find anything I liked.

lIqUID
10-30-05, 12:16 PM
My local Walmart had one hooked to an HDTV, and to be honest I was disappointed in the graphics a bit. I played CoD2 and King Kong.....I dont know if Im just spoiled by PC antialiasing or what but Im just not seeing it with Xbox360.
If I want the Xbox360 look Ill just turn my graphics down on my PC, dont get me wrong this is a nice console if your computer is not up to par.

Maybe its just these first wave of game or something, but from what I played I dont like it. I do like the controller though, its way better than the older ones.

dynasty336
11-01-05, 11:50 PM
My local Walmart had one hooked to an HDTV, and to be honest I was disappointed in the graphics a bit. I played CoD2 and King Kong.....I dont know if Im just spoiled by PC antialiasing or what but Im just not seeing it with Xbox360.
If I want the Xbox360 look Ill just turn my graphics down on my PC, dont get me wrong this is a nice console if your computer is not up to par.

Maybe its just these first wave of game or something, but from what I played I dont like it. I do like the controller though, its way better than the older ones.

Wow he's not kidding i played them both too and well i was somewhat impressed by king kong but COD looked awful i mean way worse than anything ive played on my pc in the last year

EvilEye
11-04-05, 10:04 AM
Wow he's not kidding i played them both too and well i was somewhat impressed by king kong but COD looked awful i mean way worse than anything ive played on my pc in the last year

I were at this MS XBOX360 VIP happening with my company and they let us loose in their "Joanna Dark" appartment, with four 360:s connected to HD screens, so I had time to test them for a couple of hours :cool: . The games that was playable was Perfect Dark, Kameo, PGR3 and DOA 4.
They were really keen to point out that the versions we were playing were "work-in-progress" and about 80% complete. This showed as there were no AA in any of them and some slowdowns in PGR3 (+disabled reflections in some areas).
DOA4 impressed as always.
The most impressive moments in PGR3 was at the starting grid where the camera paned around the car and this was when I found my jaw at the floor:p . The sound also impressed, and driving in the car was extremely fun.

When it comes to textures both Perfekt dark and Kameo really showed of the best textures I have seen in a game - EVER! Again I found my jaw laying at the floor. (ok, some parts needed polishing, like the enemys for example). Here we were shown both displacement mapping and bump mapping like never before :eek: . I have only seen simular things in some Unreal Engine 3 shots. Metal really looked like metal!
Of all the games Kameo felt like the game that was the most finished one (and probable the best one), only thing I missed was the AA.
I really didn't miss CoD2 since that game sucked bigtime on the PC (both graphicswise and in the gameplay department).

I'm eager to see how the final games will look like when I get my 360 on the 2nd dec.

CHEVYMAN_02
11-09-05, 06:27 AM
I played the Xbox360 at a walmart near me and it wasn't all that it as cracked up to be. They really have to impress me with something different about the system or another game that is great

Acid Rain
11-10-05, 01:36 PM
:angel: DP

Acid Rain
11-10-05, 01:39 PM
I was very impressed with some of the shader effects in Kameo, like that shiny, bumpelly what-the-hoosey in the first level, and the overall shine and crisp look was amplified by the liberal use of offset (?) mapping. The only thing dragging it down was the fact that all these effects were bathed in NO AA and no aniso.

The lack of AA really hurts this title (the only one I played), as it results in a much degraded look than could otherwise be possible. And no, it wasn't due to a shoddy display monitor. Quite the opposite.

A shame really.

InqWoN1776
11-10-05, 05:57 PM
I got to play one of the kiosk's last sunday and I wasn't impressed either. I think it's just the games. CoD2 looked better on my pc. KingKong looked good but it was sluggish, controls were horrid and it had artifacts. Yes, artifacts... T-rex turned all BLUE. I later found out that that is a common problem. Kameo was the best of the three as far as straight out graphics and gameplay. I loved all the dragons flying in the background. However, the game wasn't responsive enough for me. I think it's just the initial games though. Hopefully, oblivion will make up for it.

Infinity666
11-14-05, 12:14 AM
I played at walmart after waiting almost an hour for some five year old kid to quit. Not impressed at all the first time i tried to play cod2 it froze after 5 seconds. Actually playing the game was ok though it looked like the pc ersion without any aa but it was extremely smooth. The next game i played was king kong what a piece of ass . I dont know if the version I played was no where near being done or not but it looked horrible the alising was horible jaggies on eerything and then in the match against t-rex he kept turning blue and clipping the map. :thumbdwn:

msxyz
11-14-05, 06:42 AM
I wonder why Microsoft equipped the kiosks with early betas in an unfinished, unpolished state, rather than waiting for the final games to be available.

Someone decided to try on a display Xbox the retail version of Kameo (which already reached the stores a few days ago) and it looks much better than the demo distributed by Microsoft.

six_storm
11-14-05, 07:24 AM
I'm gonna buy a 360 when PS3 comes out b/c M$ will make a price drop and some better games will be out by then. YAY, go broke college kids.

msxyz
11-14-05, 09:54 AM
Don't expect massive price cuts this time.

I would be surprised if the price is reduced by more than 50 $/€ . A bundle with some highly anticipated title (ie Halo 3 / GoW) is more likely.

Big sales do not come until the street price hits the 199 $/€ mark which is still a couple of years away. People who are willing to fork out 300+ coins for a console are still a minority. And there's also a psycological effect involved: a price cut timely set with PS3 debut would be interpreted in the eyes of the public opinion as Microsoft trying to keep the pace with a superior product. If you wish to pass for market leader, you keep an aggressive stance offering more for the same, not the same for less.

six_storm
11-14-05, 03:34 PM
I highly doubt I'll get a PS3. I'm just waiting and giving the 360 a little time to mature and get some really awesome games out before buying it. PS3 just hasn't put out enough to really get me to even consider it yet.