PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT Install Problem AND Solution!

mickyg
10-19-05, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new NVnews member and had to post this for two reasons. 1. It's an odd problem. 2. It's a problem I figured out how to solve and I HATE it when I find problems that no one else has posted on.

Now here's the deal:

I was playing around with different motherboards and noticed I wasn't able to get my 6600GT to install properly in Windows. It was there in the device manager but with a nice yellow exclamation mark and a hardware "error code 12" listed. Turns out a whole memory range block was simply unavailable.

Ordinarily one would simply find the conflicting hardware and change it or remove it for troubleshooting. However, there was no "conflict" per se. The memory range the card needed was simply unavailable.

I had pretty much decided the card was faulty somehow (perhaps doing that Zalman CN700 alcu upgrade somehow killed it?) when I thought to play in the motherboard BIOS one last time. The fix? AGP Aperture size!

I had set mine to 32MB to prevent slower system memory from ever being used (I read somewhere that that was the thing to do). For whatever reason 32MB prevents the card from allocating it's resources properly and the driver never fully installs in windows. Changing the aperture to 128MB fixed it up perfectly!

Bear in mind, I didn't have this issue on a 5700le that I tested with. For that card, 32MB posed no problem for the aperture setting.

I'm now hoping that someone out there has this problem and is actually able to use this, as I was pulling my hair out for a fix!

wrugoin
10-19-05, 10:12 PM
That's interesting. Were you able to reproduce the problem once it was fixed to single out the 32mb Apature size as the cause of the device drivers not loading properly?

mickyg
10-19-05, 10:13 PM
I forgot to mention system specs!

Old system:

Motherboard - MSI 865Neo 2 (with only 3 memory slots - basically a modified 848Neo 2 board) - Intel 865PE chipset
CPU - P4 3.4 (Northwood) with Vantec Aeroflow HSF (TMD fan)
Memory - dual channel Elixer 1GB DDR400 (2x 512Mb and fairly slow timings *cheap*)
Video - Aopen 6600GT AGP with Zalman VF700-AlCu, ramsinks (required some mods), and VHS-1 HSI sink

New system:

Motherboard - Abit IC7 - Intel 875P chipset
Everything else the same

mickyg
10-19-05, 10:13 PM
That's interesting. Were you able to reproduce the problem once it was fixed to single out the 32mb Apature size as the cause of the device drivers not loading properly?

I was thinking the same thing you were suggesting, that it was a fluke or something else I changed. So yeah, I went back to 32Mb and viola - back to 16 colors on standard VGA adapter in Windows!

mickyg
10-19-05, 10:14 PM
Also forgot to mention this was in Win2k. I played with WinXP and found it did the same thing.

Rytr
10-19-05, 10:19 PM
Welcome to NVNEWS and thanks for sharing the solution to your problem.
Aperature size can have an effect on performance as well.

mickyg
10-19-05, 10:25 PM
Performance was an aspect I was familiar with. Driver installation conflicts was a completely different story though. Very strange.