PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have 3DSMax on their system?

loafer87gt
10-20-05, 12:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone can test out the latest 81.85 drivers with 3DSMax. I am finding that when using the OpenGL viewport driver I am getting system hangs upon launch of the program and when it finally does initialize (several minutes later) the program is very sluggish. Also, upon exiting the program, the program will not release the OpenGL driver and one has to manually end the 3DSmax.exe task process.

I am using 3DSMax 6 on my system, but I also tried installing the trial version of the 3DSmax 7 and I am having the same problems with it. I know the program offers Direct3D support as well, but for high geometry CAD files OpenGL is lightyears faster.

If any of you guys have the program and the 80.xx series of the drivers on your machine, can you try launching it see if your system exhibits the same problem? I really like the new drivers, but because of the 3D Studio glitch they are currently a no go for me.

Many thanks.

TierMann
10-20-05, 12:23 PM
I don't have 3DSMax but the same thing happend in Poser5 and 6. It wasn't consistant though. It only happend like 1 out of 4 times I ran it. That would happen with 81.84 and .85.

myshkinbob
10-20-05, 03:54 PM
i use 3ds max. And i have the 81.85 forceware installed. Normally i use the maxtreme viewport driver tho, not the plain opengl one, and hadn't had any problems.

I just tried the opengl viewport driver in both max 7.5 and the max 8 trial, and it seemed slow compared to the maxtreme one, about 20fps on 4 viewports with a 100k poly scene, not sure if that's normal for it tho. But i didn't get any crashes or hangs on startup or exit in either version of max with the opengl viewport driver.

You might want to try the max8 trial version, and see if you get the same problem.

Actually you don't mention which graphics card you're using. If it's a consumer card, not a pro one, then your forceware drivers will set up opengl for gaming, and not pro apps, which might be the problem. For gaming cards, the max D3D viewport driver is a fair amount faster than the opengl one anyway, so you might want to try that too.

loafer87gt
10-20-05, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your reply. I am thinking the problem might be related to my dual CPU's and the multicore support in the new drivers.