PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen of Death?

glObalist
10-20-05, 04:30 PM
True, for me at least. I've been getting random BSOD crashes playing B&W2 and Chronicles of Riddick. The symptom is rather a Black Screen of Death though I would say:) It occurs some 5-10 minutes into the games:

The screen goes black and there's "no signal" on my DVI-connected LCD. I can't do anything but hard-restart the pc.

I'm using the latest 81.85 drivers. Is it them, or the card, or crappy game programming?

Strange thing is I've only had this problem with these two particular games, other new ones such as Fable run just fine and never randomly crash on me.

I would appreciate any suggestion from you guys. I would especially like to know what exactly does it mean when this monitor blacking out thing happens instead of the classic crash-->computer restart.

Many thanks in advance.

Epox 8rda+ rev2.1 --- Athlon XP 2500+@3000+ --- 2x512MB PC3200 DDR400 --- ASUS V9999GT/TD 128 DVI ---> Neovo F-419 19" LCD --- SoundStorm SPDIF out ---> 5.1 Creative Inspire GD580

Phred319
12-12-05, 04:51 PM
I'm having the exact same problem recently. I've had my GeForce 6800 GT OC 256 for I think around 6 months (maybe more) and I've never had an issue with it. Only recently has it suddenly begun this. I have tried an assortment of drivers ranging from much older to the newest to no avail. This black screen occurs anywhere from 4 - 15 minutes into playing either City of Heroes/Villians and about an hour into DDO Beta. I have no problems on EQ2 however. Any positive help or input is greatly appreciated as I consider myself a computer novice.

a12ctic
12-12-05, 06:07 PM
There are no black screens in linux <3

saturnotaku
12-12-05, 06:29 PM
There are no black screens in linux <3

OK, you're really starting to get annoying with this crap. Keep it up and you'll be out of here faster than glxgears.

a12ctic
12-12-05, 06:39 PM
OK, you're really starting to get annoying with this crap. Keep it up and you'll be out of here faster than glxgears.
hahahahaha sorry im a fanboy :(

Acid Rain
12-12-05, 07:38 PM
hahahahaha sorry im a fanboy :(Here you go (cheers)

Pure Linux Heaven (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=14)

Black screen? I've had some crashes, bad crashes on the 80 series. Totally out of character, my top machine rebooted itself after a black screen in Guild Wars. Never before have I seen this on a setup I've built. Yuck. No thanks. 70 series is fine.

j0j081
12-13-05, 09:10 AM
sounds like what used to happen to me when my card overheated.

glObalist
12-13-05, 11:02 AM
OK, just to let you all know, RMAing my ASUSV9999GT for a new one seems to have solved my BlSOD problem. Unlike gaming on Linux would have, I might add... :P

Gentle
12-13-05, 03:21 PM
glObalist, on a side note, keep this in mind...

Keep an eye on your capacitors on your motherboard...

It is getting up there in age and some of the manufacturers (many in fact) got bad capacitors from manufacturers a few years ago.

Examine them for leaking and bulging.

Not trying to alarm you, just make you aware of potential issues.

Happy to hear your video card situation is under control.

Gentle

glObalist
12-13-05, 04:39 PM
glObalist, on a side note, keep this in mind...

Keep an eye on your capacitors on your motherboard...

It is getting up there in age and some of the manufacturers (many in fact) got bad capacitors from manufacturers a few years ago.

Examine them for leaking and bulging.

Not trying to alarm you, just make you aware of potential issues.

Happy to hear your video card situation is under control.

Gentle

Thanks Gentle,

in fact I do check on the board capacitors every once in a while and they seem to be surprisinlgy well off, considering the board is almost 3.5 yrs old. No bulges or leaks so far.

Concerning my BlSOD problem, I've been told it was in fact the vidcard's capacitors that might have been the culprit. The guy said the early batches of some nV40 cards were kind of rushed off in the capacitor department. Lemme quote him:

"Known issue with the design of the 6800. There are still some cards out there on the market for this problem. It's to do with the capacitors at the end of the card near the molex connector, or where the molex connector should be.

Seems that the capacitors were a bad batch on some cards, and when vidmem gets fully loaded, the card blackscreens. Black and White2, and FEAR, are both good programs to use to test for this.

Some maufacturer's disabled pipes on these boards to slow down the card enough as to not get a bluescreen. Chances are you need to replace some part on your card for full proper "enabled" pixel pipelines and vertex shaders, and some times the mod can kill the card, as soldring multi-layer PCB's is not always easy.

Some users have been able to overcome the issue by turning fastwrites off in the bios. If you want a real explanation as to why it works, take it up with the cardmaker.

The monitor going int osuspend mode is a definate sign that something is wrong, but please bear in mind that it could also be a chipset/bios/driver issue."

Make what you think of it :)

nemecb
12-13-05, 05:12 PM
Besides which it's not true. Many people using nVidia's drivers have/had black screen issues (including myself). I'm a big Linux fan myself and do all my gaming in Linux, but let's not piss off everyone else by making false and inflammatory claims about it.(mikec)

The glxgears bit is classic though.(xmasgrin)