PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Colossus, anybody buy it yet?

Mr. Hunt
10-20-05, 04:49 PM
NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Well it came out Tuesday, and I want it so badly... but I don't have the money right now. Hopefully I can get it tomorrow after I get paid, but was just wondering if anybody picked it up. The OPM demo from a few months back was amazing and it is from the same team as ICO (which sadly didn't sell well), and is done in a similar way, but it is not a sequel. In the game there are no regular enemies. The whole game is you travelling on a horse (or by foot if you want :\) killing colossi (all different with different weak spots and ways to kill them)... there are 16 in total and so far this game has been getting great reviews. Wanted to get the word out to anybody who didn't know it was out (a LOT of stuff came out this week).

So if you got it, tell me how much you are loving it, but don't make me cry because I don't have it yet ;).

Namrok
10-20-05, 05:08 PM
I just got it today, played through the first colossus, it was great. But then again, the first colossus was really just a tutorial. Still, the controls seemed solid, albiet very different. I'll edit this with more info once I've played more.

Mr. Hunt
10-20-05, 05:11 PM
Did you play the demo? Is the first colossus the one from the demo? Is the motion blurring toned down some (I liked it, but sometimes it seemed a bit much)? Has the "draw in" or whatever you want to call it been fixed (where you would see something at a distance and it would disappear or it would look REALLY bad from far off and then finally be rendered right when you are decently close)?

I heard some of the songs from the game and it was amazing... goes very well with the epic feel of the game.

Roliath
10-20-05, 05:12 PM
I saw this game in action yesterday at EB Games...
Man oh man i want it soo bad!!!

Namrok
10-20-05, 06:19 PM
Did you play the demo? Is the first colossus the one from the demo?

Didn't play the demo, so I don't know, but it was a big guy with a huge club, hooves, and a platform on his back if that helps.

Is the motion blurring toned down some (I liked it, but sometimes it seemed a bit much)? Has the "draw in" or whatever you want to call it been fixed (where you would see something at a distance and it would disappear or it would look REALLY bad from far off and then finally be rendered right when you are decently close)?

I haven't noticed any glaring graphical oddities, it's just as beautiful as ICO although it doesn't have the smoothest frame rate.

Mr. Hunt
10-20-05, 06:26 PM
Didn't play the demo, so I don't know, but it was a big guy with a huge club, hooves, and a platform on his back if that helps.

Sounds like the same guy then... straight from the temple, right?

I haven't noticed any glaring graphical oddities, it's just as beautiful as ICO although it doesn't have the smoothest frame rate.

Cool... I read that the ones I was talking about were fixed.. but I guess without playing the demo it would be hard to understand what I am talking about (and it doens't help that I suck at explaining stuff :\).

Saibot
10-20-05, 07:52 PM
I've been dying to get this one too. I was sold the instant that I heard it was from the same people that made ICO. My PS2 almost never gets powered up anymore - but once I get my greedy hands on a copy of this game I'll be back at it. I'm giddy with anticipation but I guess I should finish FEAR first. :p

Mr. Hunt
10-20-05, 08:23 PM
Well I borrowed the money from a friend (I was close to killing myself basically I wanted the game so bad :\)... been playing it about an hour and just finished the third colossi... this game is amazing and the music is so freaking great. I haven't explored much yet but I am fixing to do quite a bit of it before I take on the fourth col.

Ninjaman09
10-21-05, 09:55 AM
I'm definitely picking this one up in a couple of weeks probably. Got too many other games to play at the moment. :D

Namrok
10-21-05, 07:18 PM
The more I play this game, the more I'm amazed by the attention to detail to it. I just finished off the 6th Colossus, after wondering around lost and not really caring for about an hour or two. A few potential spoilers follow though, so highlight them to see.

What was really cool was when I discovered that you could climb up trees and shoot down fruit, and eating it gave you a bigger health bar. Also blew my mind when I realized that white tailed lizards are usually around all the land marks, and they permanently increase you stamina when you eat their tails. Still trying to shoot down the doves and hawks though, curious if they do anything for me.

Mr. Hunt
10-21-05, 07:49 PM
The more I play this game, the more I'm amazed by the attention to detail to it. I just finished off the 6th Colossus, after wondering around lost and not really caring for about an hour or two. A few potential spoilers follow though, so highlight them to see.

What was really cool was when I discovered that you could climb up trees and shoot down fruit, and eating it gave you a bigger health bar. Also blew my mind when I realized that white tailed lizards are usually around all the land marks, and they permanently increase you stamina when you eat their tails. Still trying to shoot down the doves and hawks though, curious if they do anything for me.

Yeah... I beat it this afternoon and I loved it... it was short but it is so amazing the whole way through and I loved every battle (although some annoyed me :\). Going through now and doing Normal Time Attack (you get items every 2 colossus you beat in a certain time limit).

SPOILERS BELOW (HIGHLIGHT)

Doves and hawks don't drop anything I don't think... but you CAN ride them... when you are on Agro and you see a hawk flying over your head jump and hold R1. I hear you can also ride eels and lizards but I haven't done it yet

russ_3d
10-21-05, 10:39 PM
my girlfriend loves anything like ICO. the way you play and its mysterious, being peacful and something. no scores, no language, musics nice etc. she really likes it. that and morrowind. the other stuff she thinks is a bit cheese.

|MaguS|
10-24-05, 01:59 PM
I picked the game up but have yet to play it much, I killed the first collossus and had to go. I love it so far and can't wait to sit down more with it. Probably will do so today since I don't have to work, yay hurricane!

Mr. Hunt
10-24-05, 03:07 PM
Heh... well after you beat it you unlock hard mode and time attack (normal)... for every 2 bosses you beat under the time limit in time attack you get an item... some are really useful and some are rather useless, but the ones in Hard mode (have to beat hard mode first) seem A LOT better. I am going through hard now and just beat #8 and I freaking hate Hard... they start you off with very little health/grip so fighting bosses requires you to rest A LOT while on top of them to get your grip back... and almost all of the bosses so far have had ANOTHER weak point you have to destroy... and you do basically no damage even with a full powered stab (and the jumping stab thing)... I doubt I will ever unlock everything from hard time attack if they stick me with crap grip... :(.

Mr. Hunt
10-28-05, 07:45 PM
Well about 5 minutes ago I FINALLY finished Hard Time Attack mode up... White Agro is sweetness.

Knot3D
10-29-05, 05:57 AM
No ! PAL release is February 06 ! :(