PDA

View Full Version : SLI no worky :(

Chalnoth
10-20-05, 08:21 PM
Just wondering if anybody here had any ideas of what I could do to further troubleshoot this problem.

I have recently found myself in the posession of a pair of BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC graphics cards. I installed them, connected the two with the bridge that came with my motherboard, and installed the nVidia drivers.

Each video card works individually. I can, for example, run 3DMark05 on one video card, go to display settings and change the display to the other video card (swapping the monitor cable over as well), and re-run 3DMark05 and get the same result (about 6950 score).

But nVidia's drivers aren't detecting SLI capability. Does anybody have any clue what could possibly be wrong?

The rest of my (potentially) pertinent system info:
ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard (nForce4)
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Windows 2000

monkeydust
10-20-05, 08:30 PM
When I had that happen before, it was due to my cards having a different BIOS on each one (which I was certain at the time that they were the same). I finally got an accurate read on each BIOS by just putting one card in and booting up on each one and noting the BIOS version. Once I had flashed them to the same version, everything detected fine.

May not be your problem but worth a check.

Dr.Nick
10-20-05, 08:30 PM
Did you enable SLI in bios or by jumper on mobo?

Rytr
10-20-05, 08:31 PM
Believe you are out of luck with W2K as SLI is not supported or vice-versa.

Chalnoth
10-20-05, 09:05 PM
Believe you are out of luck with W2K as SLI is not supported or vice-versa.
Yeah, dammit, that's probably the problem :(

wrugoin
10-21-05, 04:14 PM
Yeah, dammit, that's probably the problem :(

And with longhorn around the corner, who wants to run out and buy XP Pro now? Sucky :(

Chalnoth
10-21-05, 04:18 PM
And with longhorn around the corner, who wants to run out and buy XP Pro now? Sucky :(
My thoughts exactly. But XP Pro 64-bit is, nonetheless, on the way....should have it in a day or two.

Rytr
10-21-05, 05:05 PM
You should be in good shape then. Enjoy SLI!

Chalnoth
10-22-05, 06:41 AM
Sweet, upgrading to Winows XP fixed it :)

I was somewhat surprised, though. One big difference I noticed after the upgrade was simply that Windows XP boots tons faster than Windows 2000 ever did.

Anyway, preliminary performance results:
Doom3 Ultra quality, 1600x1200, 4x FSAA (with transparency supersampling), 16-degree anisotropic (high quality), demo1.
Single card: 44 fps
SLI: 74 fps
...can't say that I ever expected those settings to be that playable :) More to come later.

OWA
10-22-05, 06:53 AM
Yeah, that was one of the best things about XP. Fast boot times. Almost worth the price of upgrading for that alone.

Congrats on getting it all working.

ricercar
10-22-05, 01:15 PM
Hey Chalnoth, glad you're fixed. Seems like forever since I've seen a post with your name on it.

I suggest that XP-64 is not the best OS for a SLI rig. Recent NIVIDA drivers benchmark differently based on OS, with XP-64 performing the worst of all possible SLI.

My testing produced this order for driver performance: WinXP > WinMCE > WinXP64.

To wit, I have a ASUS A8N-SLI 6800 ultra machine that dual boots relatively clean Win64 and WinXP MCE. I'm using Doom3 trimedemo and OnionMark05.
- WinXP drivers are faster on WinXP MCE OS than Win MCE drivers on WinXP MCE OS.
- WinXP-64 drivers on WinXP-64 OS perform about 5% lower than MCE/MCE
- WinXP-64 drivers on WinXP-64 OS perform about 10% slower than XP drivers on MCE OS.

YMMV.

Chalnoth
10-22-05, 01:21 PM
That's probably true, but it'll improve.