PDA

View Full Version : No 81.85 WHQL for me

heeven
10-21-05, 08:30 AM
I tried to install Nvidia's new drivers (WHQL) to no effect. I've been using 77.77 drivers but also tried 78.01-78.03 and they all worked with no issue. I have a GeForce 6200 AGP and when I install 81.85 drivers after uninstalling previous drivers and using a driver cleaner my display gets stuck at 640*480*16 colors. Even when I manually select 1240*1024 resolution and 32-bit colors it resets to the previous. I haven't tried any betas in the 80 series but I'd like to know if anyone had a similar issue. Thanx!!! :surrender

Processor:Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz Prescott - Operating System: WinXP Pro - Mobo: ASUS P4R800-VM - RAM: 1024 MB DDR - Video: XFX GeForce 6200 AGP - Storage: Hitachi 80GB ATA 133 - Audio: SoundMax Integrated

rewt
10-21-05, 08:37 AM
Does that board have an nVidia chipset? If so driver cleaner may have uninstalled your chipset drivers.

heeven
10-21-05, 09:24 AM
Nope, it has an ATI chipset. But this problem happens only with the 80 series drivers (at least the official 81.85, haven't tried betas yet). The same thing happened to me once when I installed a 75.xx driver that didn't include 6200 AGP in the .inf file so it installed the PCI-E version.

Does that board have an nVidia chipset? If so driver cleaner may have uninstalled your chipset drivers.

rewt
10-21-05, 09:57 AM
Perhaps if you use the modded INF then

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8021

heeven
10-21-05, 10:10 AM
Nope, it doesn't work. Even tried 81.84 - 81.85 betas. Not working for me. Control Panel is not installed and even hardware acceleration is off via dxdiag. I checked my display properties and it is set at full acceleration so it's weird. Latest working version 78.05, I rolled back to 77.77 though

Perhaps if you use the modded INF then

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8021

heeven
10-21-05, 11:51 AM
Well, at least I'm not alone in this ordeal!!!!

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8477

garikfox
10-21-05, 12:29 PM
Drivercleaner is the problem its not a good thing to use at all. In my opinion.

(Time for a fresh install.)

rewt
10-21-05, 12:39 PM
Driver cleaner worked fine on my old setup. It had a VIA chipset tho.. I wouldn't dare use it on my new system because of what people are saying about it.

Dr.Nick
10-21-05, 12:41 PM
Drivercleaner is the problem its not a good thing to use at all.\

Been using DriverCleaner for a long time with no issues. In fact its one of the best free programs out there imho;)

mobilenvidia
10-21-05, 01:56 PM
Drivercleaner deletes files with Wildcards (ie nv*.*) and may delete more than it should if the nVidia Chipset drivers are also present and start with certain filenames.

Drivercleaner works really well if you have all different parts to your computer (no 2 devices from same manufacturer)

heeven
10-21-05, 01:57 PM
If Drivercleaner is the problem, why I'm having no issues whenever I change drivers among 7x.xx series? I always use Drivercleaner after uninstalling a set of drivers.

Drivercleaner is the problem its not a good thing to use at all. In my opinion.

Dr.Nick
10-21-05, 02:10 PM
Drivercleaner deletes files with Wildcards (ie nv*.*) and may delete more than it should if the nVidia Chipset drivers are also present and start with certain filenames.

Drivercleaner works really well if you have all different parts to your computer (no 2 devices from same manufacturer)

Never seen it do something like that personally and I have lots of nV things installed. I have even used it to clean out old NF4 chipset drivers and it didnt touch anything to do with the video card. There must of been something else wrong..

heeven
10-21-05, 02:17 PM
I don't have that problem. My motherboard has an ATI chipset

mobilenvidia
10-21-05, 02:34 PM
I don't have that problem. My motherboard has an ATI chipset
You have a VIA MB me thinks not ATI (they don't make MB or chipsets, they make integrated video though)

Grab the latest drivers (are they still called 4in1 ?) for the Mobo.
It's not a Video problem as others with the same video card have no problem.

Hope this helps.

heeven
10-21-05, 02:43 PM
You have a VIA MB me thinks not ATI (they don't make MB or chipsets, they make integrated video though)

Grab the latest drivers (are they still called 4in1 ?) for the Mobo.
It's not a Video problem as others with the same video card have no problem.

Hope this helps.

ATI also manufactures MB chipsets as you can see here http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=28&model=169&modelmenu=1

I already had the latest MB drivers installed. It's weird I only have issues with the 80 series

mobilenvidia
10-21-05, 03:07 PM
ATI also manufactures MB chipsets as you can see here http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=28&model=169&modelmenu=1

I already had the latest MB drivers installed. It's weird I only have issues with the 80 series

My bad :blush: , I'm no longer up with the play on ATI.
It is probably some old driver stuff that is causing the problem.
Or the 80's have ATI issues not yet resolved.

saturnotaku
10-21-05, 03:16 PM
My bad :blush: , I'm no longer up with the play on ATI.
It is probably some old driver stuff that is causing the problem.
Or the 80's have ATI issues not yet resolved.

I doubt that. My mobo has an ATI chipset and it runs the 8x.xx drivers on my 6600 GT just fine, except for the OpenGL lockup issue but that's a video problem, not the chipset.

heeven
10-22-05, 09:02 AM
Well, your ATI chipset is a newer, better and different version from the one that I have. Besides you're using a chipset for AMD64, mine is for Intel. So the only thing we have in common is a chipset from the same manufacturer. As you can see it's not a comparable situation.

I doubt that. My mobo has an ATI chipset and it runs the 8x.xx drivers on my 6600 GT just fine, except for the OpenGL lockup issue but that's a video problem, not the chipset.

pnut_gallery
02-19-06, 12:33 AM
This is an Issue with all 8x.xx drivers, not just 81.85.

I have exactly the same problem you have, using FW 8x.xx and an ATi chipset.
In my case, I use an ATI RS350 Chipset / ATi 9100 Pro IGP and a AGP 6600GT.
Every driver before 8x.xx worked fine, I am now using 78.05. Every driver after 78.05 doesn't work fine. It does not work at all. Tried Anyting in the book to make it work, but nothing helps. I guess I am stuck with 78.05 then. :(

Nvidia must fix this issue soon or buy me an nforce Motherboard.

I wish there were some way we could let them know of this problem, and complain.

pnut_gallery
02-19-06, 12:37 AM
Mod? Could you rename this thread to someting like: Forceware 8x.xx incompatilbilities with ATI chipsets. ?