PDA

View Full Version : OK so WTF is the difference?

Riptide
10-21-05, 09:45 AM
Hell if I can figure it out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130248

vs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130234

ruff97
10-21-05, 10:21 AM
lol

Clay
10-21-05, 10:29 AM
Take a look at the detailed specs...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130248#DetailSpecs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130234#DetailSpecs

The N525 has Composite out...the N528 does not

The N528 has some games/demos included...the N525 does not

Riptide
10-21-05, 10:31 AM
Actually, the big deal is that the N528 comes with a motherboard. Figured it out a few minutes ago.

Just brilliant. If they had, you know, actually included that somewhere and made it so I didn't have to hunt around in order to figure it out I might've gone with that one instead and saved $80.

That is annoying as hell.

Clay
10-21-05, 10:33 AM
Where did you find that info?

Riptide
10-21-05, 10:39 AM
I did a yahoo search for the part # and it led to a discussion on evga's forums.

A viewing of the more expensive GTX shows an extra box with nothing but "EVGA" on it. That is the motherboard. Look at the pictures at the link on newegg between the two parts. You'll see what I mean.

The user reviews mention it but there is nothing in the product description indicating it includes the motherboard. Yet it does.

So yeah I'm a little irritated about it. Newegg shouldn't "hide" something like that from me. I could've saved $80 and had an SLI capable board, virtually for free.

Clay
10-21-05, 10:57 AM
Wow, that does stink on Newegg's part.

Ninjaman09
10-21-05, 11:20 AM
Nope that's wrong Riptide. The N528 part does not include a motherboard, as that is the one I have in my computer right now. It was the first card eVGA 7800 card available at Newegg. Also, it was the one you had to buy when eVGA was running their promotion but it does not include one now. I have absolutely no idea what the difference between it and the N525 is, because I ordered the N525 as my SLI card last month and it is EXACTLY the same as the N528. The other box you see in the Newegg pictures is actually an outer box that has blue foam surrounding the retail box to prevent damage during shipment.

Clay
10-21-05, 11:23 AM
Either way, if you look at the detailed specs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=725263&postcount=3) you'll see that there are listed differences. They don't warrant the price difference though. Odd.

Riptide
10-21-05, 11:24 AM
Dude... If you guys read the user reviews for the $479 model (N528) you'll see several people got a motherboard with it.

Clay
10-21-05, 11:28 AM
Ok, that settles it then. It's amazing that Newegg didn't list that.

Speaking of the user reviews on Newegg...is it just me or does anyone else ever suspect some of those being faked (i.e. product X's people coming in with glowing reviews about their own stuff)?

Riptide
10-21-05, 11:30 AM
I got off the phone with them just now.

They claim it does NOT include a motherboard. They indicated it has never included a motherboard to their knowledge. They checked with the warehouse manager and confirmed: no motherboard.

Which ofcourse clashes entirely with what the user reviews are saying there. The newegg guy indicated they might be telling a lie. Which is pretty unbelievable IMO. Why would someone lie about that? The newegg guy then indicated they may have just got their board from EVGA instead.

I don't know. This sounds pretty damn fishy to me. They also said the extra box shown is not a motherboard and might just be the OEM packaging for the card. I pointed out it was retail in both cases (both part #'s) but he just said that sometimes they'll show the OEM packaging along with the retail regardless.

W T F.

Ninjaman09
10-21-05, 11:35 AM
You may remember a couple of months ago eVGA was doing a promotion where you'd get a free motherboard with the purchase of either the 7800 GT or the 7800 GTX. The N528 part number (the $549 one) was the one you had to purchase to recieve the free motherboard during this promotion. It was a huge hit and tons of people bought the N528 on Newegg and recieved a free eVGA motherboard as well. Hence, the comments regarding the free mobo. The promotion has since ended. However the part itself was never a bundle deal - it was just the video card.

I will repeat myself. I have purchased BOTH the N528 AND the N525. The N528 part number was the one I have in my computer now - the one I bought in June when it was released (for $599...grumble grumble). The N525 was the one I bought last month when I tried out SLI. There is absolutely no difference between the two from what I can tell.

Riptide
10-21-05, 11:37 AM
The last user comment indicating they got a motherboard was 10/5/05. Not all that long ago...

So you had to send in proof of purchase to evga and THEY would then send you the motherboard?

Ninjaman09
10-21-05, 11:39 AM
The last user comment indicating they got a motherboard was 10/5/05. Not all that long ago...

So you had to send in proof of purchase to evga and THEY would then send you the motherboard?
No the deal worked on Newegg as well, it was set up just like typical combo deal - you could select the free motherboard at the checkout screen. The deal ended at least a month ago, so that user probably just waited a while before he wrote the review.

Riptide
10-21-05, 11:41 AM
No the deal worked on Newegg as well, it was set up just like typical combo deal - you could select the free motherboard at the checkout screen.
OK so did newegg then send the motherboard to you or did EVGA send you the board separately?
The deal ended at least a month ago, so that user probably just waited a while before he wrote the review.
How nice of him to do that. And confuse the hell out of everyone else.

Ninjaman09
10-21-05, 11:46 AM
OK so did newegg then send the motherboard to you or did EVGA send you the board separately?
Well you know how manufacturer's rebates work at places like Best Buy? The retailer sells the product with the benefits of the rebate, and the manufacturer compensates them. Same deal here except you get a motherboard instead of a rebate check. Newegg had both the video cards and the motherboards in stock, and you got to click a checkbox at the checkout screen if you went to order an N528 to get the eVGA nForce4 SLI mobo for free. The mobo would then be added to your order and you'd proceed normally.

How nice of him to do that. And confuse the hell out of everyone else.
LOL probably wasn't his intention but yeah it's pretty confusing. I still have no idea why the seperate N525 part is so much cheaper. Maybe it is lacking composite output like Clay said - I didn't bother checking, to be honest.

edit: Nope, it appears that they both have composite out...:retard:

edit2: For your interest, it appears we aren't the only ones confused - check out this thread at Anand: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=1700429
Maybe it's clocked at reference and that's the difference? Only thing is I would think that would prevent SLI from working right - let me check my order and make sure I'm not mistaken about which one I ordered, brb...

UPDATE: OK I goofed. I actually ordered the N528 both times. One at the end of June, one in the middle of September. Neither came with a mobo though. ;)

Straight from Anand:
"EVGA also released two other variations of this card. One of them has its core clock set at 430MHz, which is the same as NVIDIA's GeForce 7800 GTX ($575 256-p2-n525-ax). The other one ($620 256-p2-n538-ax) is exactly the same as ours ($600 256-p2-n528-ax) except that it comes bundled with Battlefield 2. This is actually a pretty good deal if you don't have Battlefield 2 yet, as it's only $20 more than the card without the game. The suggested retail price of both the 430MHz and 450MHz cards are actually the same, ($600) but some vendors sell the 430MHz card for less."
So there ya go. To clarify:

256-P2-N538-AX - 7800 GTX 450MHz + Battlefield 2
256-P2-N528-AX - 7800 GTX 450MHz
256-P2-N525-AX - 7800 GTX 430MHz

Riptide
10-21-05, 11:51 AM
OK so some people DID get a motherboard along with the card and it wasn't separate.

I think you can understand, given what is up on newegg's site for product information and also the images shown, that I might get confused.

Regardless of whether it still comes with the motherboard or not this is rather retarded of them to have those items shown like that. The differences should be made clear to the prospective buyer and it would be nice to get an explanation for why one of the two has that extra box and the other doesn't. They are both retail packages and if your explanation for that extra box is true then they should both show it or not show it.

I think you can understand why I assumed that box was for a motherboard given what I read this morning and also taking into consideration that the N525 doesn't show it. ;)

It made sense. Especially when taken with those user comments.
Maybe it's clocked at reference and that's the difference?
Clocks are the same. 450 on the core. At least according to Newegg's product descript. for both items. Also check out this thread:
http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8035

Ninjaman09
10-21-05, 12:00 PM
I think you can understand why I assumed that box was for a motherboard given what I read this morning and also taking into consideration that the N525 doesn't show it.
Yeah I understand. However the box is an outer box that contains the retail box within it, with enough room for blue foam padding on the corners of the retail box to prevent shipping damage. Wish I still had mine, I'd take a picture to show ya.

Riptide
10-21-05, 12:30 PM
What an effin' wild goose chase this was.

I called eVGA to get the straight scoop. The clocks are the same on both parts. The N525 is actually a newer item than the N528. The only real difference is the box. The N528 has that extra box which the retail box fits inside. Just like you said.

Personally I blame eVGA 95% and newegg 5%. eVGA for creating a whole new part # over a stupid ass box and newegg for not explaining things better.

Ninjaman09
10-21-05, 12:45 PM
LOL well thanks for doing that. Glad we got our facts straight. So basically Newegg's been selling two cards that are exactly the same for $459 and $549 for a while until the recent price drop to $479. Neat.