PDA

View Full Version : PSP Officially the Fastest Selling PlayStation Machine Ever

Pages : [1] 2 3

GamerGuyX
10-21-05, 02:07 PM
Sony's widescreen handheld reaches a new milestone as the fastest selling PlayStation machine in history.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136272.html?

Just thought it was interesting... :)

Mr. Hunt
10-21-05, 02:23 PM
Pretty cool... glad it went well for Sony... and with GTA next week... it might start going faster :).

Bad_Boy
10-21-05, 03:29 PM
i think it really had a exponential growth. kinda slow in the beginning, but when people see another psp they are like "i must have one" so their friends get one and their friends get one.

i think the great design and overall look of it really helped that out. you cant really say the same for gameboy's + gizmondo's. the look of it just attracts you like "hey whats that?" (for people who have never seen a psp or just in commercials/ads)

but yeah, as a supporter of the psp ;) ....this is cool news :D

edit: i do wonder how the holiday season will be for the psp, with the xbox360 out. you can pretty much get a 360 for a little more than the psp. so im wondering if sony will be doing a price cut? say 200-225?

Rakeesh
10-21-05, 03:42 PM
Hmm...now that nintendo is practically out of the console market, I wonder if they plan on doing some heavier competition with sony on the PSP?

Bad_Boy
10-21-05, 03:56 PM
gameboy 2 most likely, sometime in 06 im guessing.

msxyz
10-21-05, 06:00 PM
In Japan the DS still outsells regulary the PSP although not by a great margin.

The article mentioned also the number of games sold which is very low. (less than 2/console!) Since profits are made on games, not consoles the situation does not look bright for Sony pockets. True, ten milions of consoles are potentially a vast market ripe for the picking, but it seems that people love the PSP more like a portable MP3/video player than for the software offered.

Considering the lackluster game library and the outlandish price of UMD movies I can understand why the market is so slow.

msxyz
10-21-05, 06:00 PM
Double post :spam: :spank:

GamerGuyX
10-21-05, 06:26 PM
Double post :spam: :spank:

(po)

How dare you double-post in my thread. I have sent a PM to MikeC requesting that your account be deleted and your IP address banned.

Have a nice life. :mad:

j/k

Bad_Boy
10-21-05, 06:50 PM
In Japan the DS still outsells regulary the PSP although not by a great margin.

The article mentioned also the number of games sold which is very low. (less than 2/console!) Since profits are made on games, not consoles the situation does not look bright for Sony pockets. True, ten milions of consoles are potentially a vast market ripe for the picking, but it seems that people love the PSP more like a portable MP3/video player than for the software offered.

Considering the lackluster game library and the outlandish price of UMD movies I can understand why the market is so slow.
way to flip the postive article into something negative lol.

outlandish price of umd movies? 13 bucks is outlandish?
were you expecting to pay 5 bucks for a movie? lol

msxyz
10-22-05, 02:42 AM
Last time I checked, most movies were 20+ $ and in Euroland it' even worse. -_-

Paying more than for a DVD (with lower quality) is outlandish for me and -apparently- also for the 10 milions of people who purchased a PSP, if we have to belive the gamespot figures about UMD movies (1.5 / unit sold). Don't forget that the figure probably include promotions (ie Spiderman 2) that were bundled with the console, thus the number of UMD videos sold might be even lower.

I am not denying that the PSP is a commercial success, but I think people regard it more as a "cool" portable media player than a gaming machine. If people use it mostly to play mp3s or mpgs Sony isn't making any profit.

PS: Some food for thought, september North American hand-held sales:
GB = 185,000
DS = 168,000
PSP = 146,000

How dare you double-post in my thread. I have sent a PM to MikeC requesting that your account be deleted and your IP address banned.:surrender

Bad_Boy
10-22-05, 10:42 AM
yeah many new umd movies sell for around 20-22, but if you check the right spots like amazon you can find many movies selling for 13-14 bucks. the quality when played on the psp is pretty high quality, id say on par with dvd. sure it wouldnt look as good when played on the tv, but its not used for that purpose so thats not really an argument.

It is a cool media player, why downplay it? whats wrong with it playing mp3's and movies? But anyways, i use it mostly for gaming and mp3's rather than movies. Once in a while ill load up a movie or tv episode on the memory stick and watch while in a school lecture. :P

It's a playstation, not just a gamestation lol. For 250 hard cash, it BETTER play movies and mp3's ;)

Don't forget that the figure probably include promotions (ie Spiderman 2) that were bundled with the console, thus the number of UMD videos sold might be even lower.right.
remember this old article?
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9731
"At least two UMD movie titles have sold over 100,000 units in the USA," the spokesperson told us, going on to reveal that the two titles in question are Resident Evil Apocalypse and House of Flying Daggers.

Other titles in the range have also sold well, he claimed, which would put the overall sales figures for the UMD movie format in North America at well over 200,000 - and possibly significantly higher than that, with sales in the half-million range certainly not implausible.

Those figures also don't count the million copies of Spider-Man 2 on UMD which were distributed by SCEA with the PlayStation Portable at its launch in North America.

i think you have to give the umd credit more than you are, i mean think about it:
its a brand new peice of media standard
it only plays on one type of proprietary hardware as of now (the psp) : meaning that the only buyers of the umd movies are psp owners
its selling amazingly well compared to dvd (read below)

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/5002/umd.html
Since the introduction of the PSP two Sony titles have hit the 100,000 mark in unit sales, Resident Evil 2 and House of the Flying Daggers. Both titles shipped on April 19th, reaching these numbers within a month of release. To put that in perspective the first DVD title to reach 100K was Air Force One and it took 9 months to reach it.

the games were definately slow for the psp in the beginning, which had a few great titles but not enough to call it a great gaming portable. but i beleive in the fall + holiday season (as i have said time and time again) is where the psp will pickup some steam for the umd game titles.

I think its pretty cool that sony is actually supporting the psp. Getting movie companies to deliver their movies to umd, by getting firmware updates up there, allowing region free games, etc. With nintendo is seems they abandon their gameboy 5 months after they put them out by putting out a new type of gameboy.

I mean how would you feel if you bought the regular sp, months later the DS comes, then months later the micro comes, then another sp comes with a better backlit screen comes out. (it feels like the computer hardware market all over again ;) )

Mr. Hunt
10-22-05, 10:52 AM
yeah many new umd movies sell for around 20-22, but if you check the right spots like amazon you can find many movies selling for 13-14 bucks. the quality when played on the psp is pretty high quality, id say on par with dvd. sure it wouldnt look as good when played on the tv, but its not used for that purpose so thats not really an argument.

It is a cool media player, why downplay it? whats wrong with it playing mp3's and movies? But anyways, i use it mostly for gaming and mp3's rather than movies. Once in a while ill load up a movie or tv episode on the memory stick and watch while in a school lecture. :P

It's a playstation, not just a gamestation lol. For 250 hard cash, it BETTER play movies and mp3's ;)

right.
remember this old article?
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9731

i think you have to give the umd credit more than you are, i mean think about it:
its a brand new peice of media standard
it only plays on one type of proprietary hardware as of now (the psp) : meaning that the only buyers of the umd movies are psp owners
its selling amazingly well compared to dvd (read below)

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/5002/umd.html

the games were definately slow for the psp in the beginning, which had a few great titles but not enough to call it a great gaming portable. but i beleive in the fall + holiday season (as i have said time and time again) is where the psp will pickup some steam for the umd game titles.

I think its pretty cool that sony is actually supporting the psp. Getting movie companies to deliver their movies to umd, by getting firmware updates up there, allowing region free games, etc. With nintendo is seems they abandon their gameboy 5 months after they put them out by putting out a new type of gameboy.

I mean how would you feel if you bought the regular sp, months later the DS comes, then months later the micro comes, then another sp comes with a better backlit screen comes out. (it feels like the computer hardware market all over again ;) )

Yup... the holiday season should bring MANY great games to PSP. And I also like seeing commercials for movies coming out on dvd and it says "Buy it on DVD or PSP UMD" ;).

Hambone
10-22-05, 10:29 PM
(I own both a DS and PSP)

Lets be honest here:

The DS sales are related to 5 things:
-Half the price of a PSP and not much more than the GB SP's launch price.
-Advanced Wars Dual Strike
-Castlevannia DS
-Nintendogs and massive Nintendogs advertising
-Children, and parents buying for children

The PSP sales are related to three things
-People wanting to have the coolest toy
-People who actually have $259 (+ $100 for a 1G stick) to buy a handheld
-Completley soft hacked unit

PSP sales SPIKED massively once word spread of the 2.00->1.50 hack downgrade.

It's kinda like another Microsoft story.

GamerGuyX
10-22-05, 10:56 PM
:surrender

If you haven't already, highlight the post where I yelled at you. :p

Zelda_fan
10-26-05, 10:29 AM
Wow only 10 million units worldwide? What does the DS have? 20 million or 30 million?

Ninjaman09
10-26-05, 11:21 AM
Hmm...now that nintendo is practically out of the console market, I wonder if they plan on doing some heavier competition with sony on the PSP?
I think they're pretty competitive already.
PS: Some food for thought, september North American hand-held sales:
GB = 185,000
DS = 168,000
PSP = 146,000
The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Anyway good for Sony. The PSP is an incredibly neat device but it suffers from a severely lacking software library. Let's hope this holiday season brings in some compelling games to complement the system's "cool factor" because as it stands there isn't much value in its $250 price tag.

GamerGuyX
10-26-05, 05:19 PM
The PSP is an incredibly neat device but it suffers from a severely lacking software library.

:eek2:

Compared to what?

I enjoy my PSP because of the games that are available for it. Not to mention Liberty City Stories just came out. :kill:

Zelda_fan
10-26-05, 05:34 PM
:eek2:

Compared to what?

compared to the DS. Walk into any best buy and compare the two libraries for the DS and PSP. You'll know what I'm talking about then.

Mr. Hunt
10-26-05, 05:38 PM
compared to the DS. Walk into any best buy and compare the two libraries for the DS and PSP. You'll know what I'm talking about then.

Quality > Quantity

Bad_Boy
10-26-05, 05:40 PM
Quality > Quantity
qft.

GamerGuyX
10-26-05, 08:18 PM

I own a DS so I kinda think I would know about the games available for it.... :rolleyes:

Zelda_fan
10-27-05, 02:11 AM
Quality > Quantity

oh 100% agreed. Castlevania DS and Advance Wars DS are two of the best games out there for ANY platform. Not to mention you have other grade A titles like Meteos and Kirby's Canvas Curse.

Bad_Boy
10-27-05, 05:03 AM
yes yes. lets not for get about gta:lcs, which could arguably be one of the best handheld games, ever. and yes, socom:ftb, which could arguably be one of the best multiplayer handheld games, ever. (yes, i and many others have played it)

lets not forget burnout legends, lumines (which some consider to be better than the almighty tetris), ridge racer, wipeout, xmen legends, virtua tennis, etc.

Mr. Hunt
10-27-05, 11:22 AM
yes yes. lets not for get about gta:lcs, which could arguably be one of the best handheld games, ever. and yes, socom:ftb, which could arguably be one of the best multiplayer handheld games, ever. (yes, i and many others have played it)

lets not forget burnout legends, lumines (which some consider to be better than the almighty tetris), ridge racer, wipeout, xmen legends, virtua tennis, etc.

Oh man... Lumines IS better than tetris MAN!

And Ridge Racer is freaking awesome, Virtua Tennis had me addicted for a while (but I started getting angry with it :\), and X-men Legends II online is quite fun.

ENU291
10-27-05, 01:14 PM
GTA:LCS... nuff said!! The DS has nothing that can compete with a massive title like that.