PDA

View Full Version : watercooling is so worth it, $115 SUPER SAFE!

bugmage
10-21-05, 06:44 PM
so i bought a gpu/cpu water cooling kit evercool wc-202 easy setup for 85$ total and some mct 40 i think its called(30$), nonconductive cooling j( which i tested by accidently spilling it all over my ****) and wow
my super overclocked 6600 gt now runs at 47* at full load, i havent plugged in the cpu to the water cooling but im sure it wont go over 55, which it used to run up to 70 slowly and crash there, waht a deaL!

cant go wrong, and yes i fit it all in a aspire cube hehehe

Scorpiuscat
10-22-05, 01:02 AM
I ran water cooling for a long time, the only drag is if your system starts getting bacterial growth. Then its a mess to clean up and keep clean.

jAkUp
10-22-05, 03:31 AM
If you use distilled water, there should be no bacterial growth.

bugmage
10-22-05, 07:41 AM
mct 40 is supposed to stop bacterial growth, do you guys know why my flowmoniterstopped,bubbles?

Peoples-Agent
10-22-05, 08:37 AM
I have been thinking about it , but my 7800Gt never goes above 36C and CPU lingers around 29C .....so I can't be bothered with it.

bugmage
10-22-05, 08:51 AM
do you have a aftermarket cooler on the video card?

and duh my 6600gt runs hotter because its better :D well:rolleyes:

Peoples-Agent
10-22-05, 08:53 AM
If it was mine your asking about , nope.

Running this 7800Gt @ 440/ 1100 on stock cooling, idles 36-38C.

PaiN
10-22-05, 09:08 AM
True liquid coooling is SO worth it.... :)

As for growth....I've tried afew of the pre-mixed stuffs....imo all of them. over time, are crap and with eventually allow bio growth. A long time ago, I switched to running simple cheap "winterized window washer fluid" which is not only an excellent medium for heat transfer, light for easy pumping, non-corrosive and its even blue :) ....but it contains methanol(alcohol) which means "no life" will ever grow in your equipment.

Riptide
10-22-05, 09:10 AM
I use an RODI generator to make water for my aquariums. This is practically as pure as distilled water. And I still get cyanobacterial growth in the water. It's damn tough to keep life out of there, alchi is your best bet like PaiN says.

marqmajere
10-22-05, 11:44 AM
True liquid coooling is SO worth it.... :)

As for growth....I've tried afew of the pre-mixed stuffs....imo all of them. over time, are crap and with eventually allow bio growth. A long time ago, I switched to running simple cheap "winterized window washer fluid" which is not only an excellent medium for heat transfer, light for easy pumping, non-corrosive and its even blue :) ....but it contains methanol(alcohol) which means "no life" will ever grow in your equipment.

I read an article in PC Gamer a while back about a guy who used windshield wiper fluid in his watercooling setup. He said it worked great. The alcohol does evaporate a bit quicker than water, but it's very cheap so it wasn't a problem.

Cruel_Logic
10-22-05, 01:37 PM
mct40 is freaking rediculous. Yeah my friend spilled it all over his stuff too, and his p4 3.4 (used to be mine :( ) is still running 4.125ghz 24 hours a day. He never ever changes it and it still looks fine.

toxikneedle
10-22-05, 01:56 PM
I still can't believe how low the temps on my vid cards are with water cooling.

$n][pErMan
10-22-05, 02:07 PM
Anyone ever try engine coolant in one of these cooling systems??

Clay
10-22-05, 02:32 PM
[pErMan']Anyone ever try engine coolant in one of these cooling systems??I used a Prestone mix in this review (http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/watercooling_polarflo/index.shtml). Also, I used this aquarium algaecide which seemed to work really well...only took a drop or two (strong stuff).

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/watercooling_polarflo/images/algaecide.jpg

bugmage
10-22-05, 02:45 PM
should i worry about flakes of black stuff in a new cooling system? i dont want to drain all of it, and it looks fine, i just have a small bubble problem

jAkUp
10-24-05, 02:02 AM
Engine coolant is far too thick I believe.

Toss3
10-24-05, 09:01 AM
I read an article in PC Gamer a while back about a guy who used windshield wiper fluid in his watercooling setup. He said it worked great. The alcohol does evaporate a bit quicker than water, but it's very cheap so it wasn't a problem.
It says in the instuctions that I can't use any alcohol-containing fluids in my watercooling system.. I don't need to though, 'cuz distilled water seems to be working great without any algae!

Clay
10-24-05, 10:37 AM
Engine coolant is far too thick I believe.
Right, you have to dilute it (~15% coolant to ~85% distilled water). The viscosity is something you want to keep in check.

hazindu
10-24-05, 11:28 AM
[pErMan']Anyone ever try engine coolant in one of these cooling systems??Antifreeze\Coolant, Water wetter, and purple ice are very common among pc watercoolers, but they have to be diluted quite a bit. All of them are much thicker than pure water, and water wetter and purple ice are very bubbly and will turn to foam if you use too much. Also, none of these cool as well as pure water. Furthermore, none of these are particularly usefull to stop biological growth. In the past I had some luck using a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the water loop to kill algae.

a little off topic here, If you've read up on watercooling, you've probably read some comment from some yahoo about distilled or deionised water being safe from an electrical point of view. This is BS. While its true that 'pure' water is not a conducter of electricity, nowhere on this planet will you find 'pure' water. If any amount of salt gets dissolved, your water is now electrically conductive. All these 'non-conductive' fluids available or more than just non-conductive, they are insulators, and perhaps worth their cost if your are in the habbit of spilling fluid on your computer while its running.

Clay
10-24-05, 11:42 AM
If you've read up on watercooling, you've probably read some comment from some yahoo about distilled or deionised water being safe from an electrical point of view. This is BS. While its true that 'pure' water is not a conducter of electricity, nowhere on this planet will you find 'pure' water.Very true. Just to elaborate a bit on these important points... (from my review):
You may be wondering what kind of water should be used. There are differing opinions on that, but you'll find most will agree that distilled water is the best. Tap water contains metals, organisms, etc. Bottled water has chemical and mineral additives that you'll also want to avoid. So, I recommend and use distilled water. To be more accurate, I used a solution of 85% distilled water and 15% Prestone 5/150 Extended Life Antifreeze.

A typical reaction to water cooling is that water and computers don't mix. This is true of course, but water that is distilled and/or deionized actually isn't very conductive at all. Ions and particulate matter in water (such as tap and bottled water with metals, minerals, etc) are what increase conductivity, not the water itself. Here is a good PDF document on water conductivity (http://www.radiometer-analytical.com/pdf/conductivity_usp.pdf), albeit a bit deep. This experiment (http://scienceathome.cienciaviva.pt/conduti_agua_eng.html) is toned down a bit if you didn't do well in chemistry.

AthlonXP1800
10-24-05, 12:07 PM
You can add (http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/index09.asp) Listerine mouthwash rinse into water cooling.

wrugoin
10-24-05, 12:36 PM
You can add (http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/index09.asp) Listerine mouthwash rinse into water cooling.

QFT

Gingivitis FTL :D

[EOCF] Tim
10-24-05, 12:42 PM
Antifreeze works great for me.....no problems whatsoever...mix 20% or so with distilled water, and your just fine....

Besides that I used Hydrx....no problems with it too...although it clouds up your tubes a bit...which is a shame..so I started using blue Antifreeze....works great :)

Ryker
10-24-05, 11:48 PM
HI, i use a mixture of 50/50 Prestone and 80 percent distilled water,
cooling 2 0c 6800 gts and and 4000+cpu,cpu is 30c idle,34cload.
my gfx cards run at 47c idle and 54c load,they use to run 80c loaded,
Big difference, and no algie.

P.S. how do you insert pics ?

badboy64
10-25-05, 12:56 AM
I have been using MCT40 for the last 5 months now without any algae growth at all and been using watercooling for nearly 4 years. The MCT40 seems to work better than anything I have used.