PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like arguing hardware with idiots

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
10-21-05, 11:48 PM
Over at another forum I go to, someone made a post about the new Apple G5 Quad...a dual dual-core G5 based system, boasting a maxium memory amount of 4TB.

This idiot is claming that in a "couple of year" 4TB is going to be the average amount of RAM in a computer. I replied making sure he knew that 1TB = 1024GB, which he seems to be aware of. He then recinded and said that he was being a bit over-optimistic and that 512GB-1TB is going to be average in a few years.

:eek:

So I guess motherboards are going to be back like they were in the 70's: about 30' x 30' so we can get enough DIMMs on the board to fit 2048 2GB modules.

What a retard. :rolleyes2

Riptide
10-21-05, 11:52 PM
Yeah he sounds like a tool to me. Wunderbar.

MUYA
10-22-05, 12:30 AM
Nothing like the guy in this shop who tried to convince me that A Inno3D GTX was better than a LEadtek GTX because, Inno3D was better for games???? WTF?? WTF??? I was......i said to him, they are all reference based designs and come from the same source (Foxconn?) but that seemed to go over his head.

mx125race
10-22-05, 12:57 AM
:tool:

tehehe, and instead of almost 2 TB of hard drive space, is it now going to be 200? maybe they will make a Double Platinum Edition Full Tower ATX-SUPERSIZED...or how about dual computers for a terrabyte of RAM in each, dual FX-57 in each, quad SLi in each, 200TB, quad 2005FPW.

i wish... :rolleyes:

Rakeesh
10-22-05, 01:23 AM
How many cores or even processors alone it has doesn't determine what amount of memory it can address natively. That is determined by the register size of all of the cores. In the case of a 64-bit CPU, that would be 2^64 bytes, or 16EB (ExaBytes,) or 16,777,216TB.

You could go above the 2^32 (4GB) limit on 32-bit processors, but it would need some kernel tricks, and it would probably be a bit ugly. Because of this reason, I would say that all gaming systems would require 64-bit processors in about 4 years from now.

I wonder what they are going to start calling memory sizes when we go 128-bit register widths? tera, peta, exa, zetta, yotta...then what? They could just use raw two power exponents, but then when you get odd memory sizes that gets awkward. E.g. you'd be buying a hard drive advertized with "2^104 + 2^96 Bytes" on the label...Or they could just use some nice 50 digit numbers :D

Gorion
10-22-05, 11:18 AM
It's hard to look forward 10 years and know what we'll be using. Look at what we were using 10 years ago compared to now.

This has been my hobby for 17 years now. It has been an incredible experience.

It is also mind boggling to think back at the different ways software was distributed, BBS's, the internet, 2400 baud modems. Games that came in ziplock baggies. Games that were written by 1 person in their basement, MUD's, and MOO's.

I remember paying $175 for a 4 megabyte stick of RAM and that being a good price. And that being a great upgrade for your computer.

I can't wait to see what the next 17 years have in store. If I should live so long. ;)

superklye
10-22-05, 11:42 AM
It's hard to look forward 10 years and know what we'll be using. Look at what we were using 10 years ago compared to now.

This has been my hobby for 17 years now. It has been an incredible experience.

It is also mind boggling to think back at the different ways software was distributed, BBS's, the internet, 2400 baud modems. Games that came in ziplock baggies. Games that were written by 1 person in their basement, MUD's, and MOO's.

I remember paying $175 for a 4 megabyte stick of RAM and that being a good price. And that being a great upgrade for your computer.

I can't wait to see what the next 17 years have in store. If I should live so long. ;)
Heh, yeah, and I agree it's almost impossible to guess what the next 5 years has in store, let alone the next 4 months, but I think it's very, VERY safe to say that we aren't going to see the standard/average amount of RAM in a computer go up 4000x from 1GB to 4TB.

I really don't think the average for even extreme gamers will even get close to 16GB in my lifetime. Does that mean that people won't have it? Of course not. There's at least one guy here with dual Opterons and 16GB of RAM. But most other people have 2GB max.

Rakeesh
10-22-05, 12:46 PM
I really don't think the average for even extreme gamers will even get close to 16GB in my lifetime. Does that mean that people won't have it? Of course not. There's at least one guy here with dual Opterons and 16GB of RAM. But most other people have 2GB max.

Well, back in the day when 4MB of RAM was considered very good, nobody really thought 1GB of RAM would ever be necessary, and that was only 10 years ago. :D At this rate, 256GB of RAM would be the norm in 10 years :D

Belarnion
10-22-05, 12:57 PM
Are you planning to die young or something?
640[kB] ought to be enough for everyone, no?

Let's see.
1996: I had 32MB of memory
2001: I had 512MB. That was considered to be "much".
2003: I had 1GB.
Now I'm planning to buy 2GB for my rig.

Is it too crazy to think computers will have 16GB in 2010 or thereabout?

$n][pErMan
10-22-05, 01:05 PM
Better start saving up for that 14TB of RAM..... haha (wack)

superklye
10-22-05, 01:41 PM
Are you planning to die young or something?
640[kB] ought to be enough for everyone, no?

Let's see.
1996: I had 32MB of memory
2001: I had 512MB. That was considered to be "much".
2003: I had 1GB.
Now I'm planning to buy 2GB for my rig.

Is it too crazy to think computers will have 16GB in 2010 or thereabout?
In less than 5 years? Yes. I'd be very, VERY surprised if the "average" (so like the lowest of low-end Dell models) was even at 2GB then. You're forgetting that most of us here are enthusiasts. We don't count.

This guy was talking about the average. Right now, the average is 256MB-512MB. And you think in less than 5 years that is suddenly going to jump up 32x to 16GB?

Gorion
10-22-05, 02:17 PM
I remember in the very late 80's I believe maybe very early 90's but anyway, PC Magazine did an article about how no home user needed all of the computing power the 80286 produced. That it was totally too much for any home purpose. LOL look at us now. Multi-core let alone multi processor. Remember the first Voodoo video card? Look at the GTX. I remember having 1 megabyte of ram and that being an upgrade to what the standard computer had. And a hard drive being too expensive to have at all. Most people didn't even have one.

I know it seems ridiculous to think about these crazy amounts of storage, whether it be ram or what not. But remember the Ram technology of today will not be in use then. Who knows what the configuration will look like or the expense of making it? They may someday be able to make a gig of ram on one chip by then. How much will that equal on your dimm? (or whatver package it will be by then)

I just can't wait to play with it when it comes ;)

Rakeesh
10-22-05, 02:37 PM
I bet in 10 years from now carbon nanotube storage will become affordable, and all storage in high end systems will be completely non-volatile. There will no longer be RAM or hard disks; you'll just have system memory in large quantities.

mx125race
10-22-05, 04:06 PM
instead of watercooling it will be ice cooled lol. then a 240mm side panel fan. hardware components will be come water proof, so the 'ice cooling' will mist ice all over them lol. or there will be water cooling inside, and so the case stays cool, that will be ice cooled or sumthing lol. i would expect sometime in the next few years or even up to 10 that there will be 10-20gb of ram and tri or quad processors, and maybe 4 GPU's...with 512-a gig of ram on each, then there wouldn't be that much need for the 10gb of system ram. or it may be like the post before where there wont be ram and harddrives etc. computers parts should go down somewhat in price and become more compact. files will be a lot smaller, such as that one game with the monsters that was i belive 46k (demo) that was on these forums. intel processors will be more in the 4ghz(standard) and amd processors in the 3-4ghz...4,000 MT/s etc. maybe computers can run off a remote control (i.e.: the power button and rebooting and some other basic controls). longer wi-fi distances. less power consumption.

all sorts of stuff.

i'd like to see some improvment in graphics and cpu etc. but i mainly wish for the prices to drop on most stuff by almost 25% or more would be nice lol...

rohit
10-22-05, 04:44 PM
No one thought of amount of power required for a system, 10 years hense.
perhaps 100 MWatt?

Nothing like the guy in this shop who tried to convince me that A Inno3D GTX was better than a LEadtek GTX because, Inno3D was better for games???? WTF?? WTF??? I was......i said to him, they are all reference based designs and come from the same source (Foxconn?) but that seemed to go over his head.
AFAIK Inno3d cards come in black PCB, so maybe they are made elsewhere. Also Inno3d cards have labeled the inno3d logo on the PCB.. AFAIk.

FraGTastiK
10-22-05, 06:18 PM
AFAIK Inno3d cards come in black PCB, so maybe they are made elsewhere. Also Inno3d cards have labeled the inno3d logo on the PCB.. AFAIk.

not this time around.All the 7800GT/GTX PCBs are exatly the same among all AiB partners.until now at least.

http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=2556&s=2
http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=2637&s=2

rohit
10-22-05, 06:22 PM
not this time around.All the 7800GT/GTX PCBs are exatly the same among all AiB partners.until now at least
Alrite. thanx for that.

Rakeesh
10-22-05, 07:38 PM
instead of watercooling it will be ice cooled lol. then a 240mm side panel fan. hardware components will be come water proof, so the 'ice cooling' will mist ice all over them lol. or there will be water cooling inside, and so the case stays cool, that will be ice cooled or sumthing lol.

Refrigeration would be much more efficient.

Though I would suspect that the limits of silicon would be reached by the time that much heat is ever generated, and carbon based optical transistors would replace them, requiring less energy and producing less heat while at peak operation, not to mention producing less toxic waste when they become obsolete. Either that or some kind of biotech enzyme based processors would replace them. Who knows.

mx125race
10-22-05, 08:09 PM
yea refrigeration was probably a better word to use to explain what i said earlier lol. i like your ideas on the component material and processors. it seems somewhat logical for the future.

MUYA
10-23-05, 01:09 AM
No one thought of amount of power required for a system, 10 years hense.
perhaps 100 MWatt?

what does that have to do with iino3d being better at games than leadtek?
btw you do realise that no AiB actually manufacture the cards...and that on the same process line you can also run different color pcbs?

jAkUp
10-23-05, 01:33 AM
16TB??!! haha yea right.

In 5 years I think about 2-4 gbs will be the average. Enthusiasts like us will have around 8-10GBs.

As for slots on a motherboard, By that time we won't need alot of slots on a mobo, we will just have memory sticks with higher densities, like a 2 or 4GB stick.

FraGTastiK
10-23-05, 03:36 AM
Alrite. thanx for that.

you're welcome.

about future hardware,one thing than can wildely grow IMO is the amount of VRAM on graphics cards.I guess devolpers can easily use up all the VRAM even if its 1GiG.its funny how TRAoD refused to run when I cranked up all the options and used max texture sizes at 2048x1536 res with 4AA/16AF.I got the "not enough graphics memory error",and that is from the one of the oldest DX9.0 games ever deveploped.

jAkUp
10-23-05, 03:39 AM
Yea well, even with some mild texture compression, the game will still look great and not use nearly as much GDRAM.

rohit
10-23-05, 08:54 AM
what does that have to do with iino3d being better at games than leadtek?
LOL, didnt read that.. hahaha tahts ridiculous.
btw you do realise that no AiB actually manufacture the cards...and that on the same process line you can also run different color pcbs?
Didnt know about this.
This got me into thinking. What about eVGA, BFG, PNY. afaik they are based in america. So Foxconn doesnt make cards for em? maybe?

I can undertsand teh AiB's situated in Asia makin cards from FOXCONN.
But i read on xbit once ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte outsource "entry Level" cards to foxconn.
Leadtek Outsources 100% cards to foxconn (this happened after gf6600GT" was announced.
Chaintek, Inno3d, XFX etc.. (i dunno).

sytaylor
10-23-05, 10:42 AM
I bet in 10 years from now carbon nanotube storage will become affordable, and all storage in high end systems will be completely non-volatile. There will no longer be RAM or hard disks; you'll just have system memory in large quantities.

I agree with the technology, just not the time frame. These things always take longer than people expect or hope by about years.