PDA

View Full Version : What do u wish in future FW drivers?

Graphicmaniac
10-22-05, 07:04 AM
Please, just short answer and not more than 5 wishes.

mine are:

1) bug fixes (will we ever have 0 buggy drivers?)
2) better performance
3) a greater possibility to enable/disable optimizations about IQ
4) an autocheck that tells me wich is the best driver for my graphic card with a selected game
5) cpu inexpansive resources control panel (i prefere bad looking but light than good but heavy)

TierMann
10-22-05, 07:29 AM
1)Fixing of 80 series bugs like when I choose the second display from the desktop context menu it still brings up the control panel for the first display. Also fixing of older bugs like the installer choosing clone view even those you chose dualview. Small but annoying, heh.

2)Optional dual-core usage. It should be optional so that you can choose to run things in the background or go into full gaming mode. As it is right now, users who want to run processes in the background will be stuck with 78.x or some choppy games.

3)Ability to set a different background per monitor without enabling nview.

4)A little guy that pops onto the screen now and then and says "Your rig rules!".

Peoples-Agent
10-22-05, 07:50 AM
For a busty leather clad ho to evaporate from thin air and perform lude sexual acts in accordance with boosting gaming morale.

EDIT: Failing that, I will just wait a couple of weeks for SLi and two new sticks of ram.

Knot3D
10-22-05, 07:51 AM
100 % compatibility with Splinter Cell 1 on PC !

Yes, with every driver AFTER 45.23, my 6800GT does NOT render shadows and multiple realtime lightsources in SC1 :thumbdwn:

I know Ubi 'blames' Nvidia and Nvidia 'blames' Ubi, for this, but it would be nice to all of sudden have a driver which fixes this problem.

heeven
10-22-05, 09:17 AM
Let's see:

1) Better performance and optimizations (without altering image quality) for all types of card, not only high-end. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a GeForce 7800 GTX
2) Get rid of the shimmering issue once and for all.
3) An advanced control panel with many more options with all tabs enabled. And better looking too. Kinda the one ATI has.
4) Fix longtime bugs, like shadows and Splinter Cell 1. Ring any bell?;)

sharangad
10-22-05, 11:45 AM
1) Fix shadows on Splinter Cell 1 (used to work)
2) Fix shadows on Metal Gear Solid 2 (used to work)

superklye
10-22-05, 12:39 PM
Multi-monitor support in SLI-mode (let us choose "single display acceleration" just like we can when only using one video card).

What someone else said about the properties for the second monitor coming up when I have that one selected.

JimBobb
10-22-05, 12:56 PM
ATIs new HQ Anisotropic Filtering!!!

rewt
10-22-05, 02:06 PM
Adaptive Antialiasing for GeForce FX/6/7 series would be a nice addition.

Let's see:

2) Get rid of the shimmering issue once and for all.

Not likely this will ever happen with the GeForce 6/7. Use High Quality, thats the most you're going to get rid of the shimmering effect. So learn to live with it, for now :-/

AnteP
10-22-05, 06:05 PM
More performance/less bugs are kind of no brainers. ;)

Video/2D:

What I'd like is better HW acceleration of video, make more use of the programmable Video Processing Unit in short. (H.264 for starters, if for nothing else then just to let me watch the 1080p trailers from Apple.)

Easier switches for 50, 59.94 and 60 Hz (perhaps some intelligent function that can spot the framerate of the video you are playing and thus changing the refresh rate.)
And very much related to this: fix the 50 Hz bug where neither windows nor nvidias own control panel will reflect that you are running in 50 Hz.
And yet another bug with 50 Hz: after switching to 50 Hz and then switching back to 60 Hz the driver will randomly revert to 50 Hz.

For whatever reason changing the "Image Quality" setting affects video performance even though the video quality is not changed a bit, this should be fixed pronto.

3D:
More work on the auto overclock feature. As of now I have not had a single card where the "suggested" values from the coolbits "panel" are valid. It's either too high or too low. On my 6800 Ultra is was WAY too high, leading to massive artifacting, but on my current 7800GTX it's too low by 30-50 or so MHz on both the memory and core.

On the fly, in-game, toggling of various 3D options (ala 3dfx). This is due to me baing lazy: at first I always try to run a game with all settings maxxed (TAA, HQ, GCAA, TB etc.) and if I get too slow performance I usually just turn most of the stuff off since I don't want to start and restart over and over again until I find the perfect fit for a specific game.

Personally I haven't run in to any really anoying bugs (except the problems with refreshrates below 60 Hz) or performance issues so I just want a few new and usefull features.

Edit: an auto update feature would be nice too with a tickbox to signify if you want beta drivers and non-whql drivers as well.

And while I'm at it: for gods sake please release a new nforce driver that fixes the data corruption when using the active armor offloading functionality.

Reaper106
10-22-05, 06:16 PM
For a busty leather clad ho to evaporate from thin air and perform lude sexual acts in accordance with boosting gaming morale.

EDIT: Failing that, I will just wait a couple of weeks for SLi and two new sticks of ram.

LOL, Amen brother!!
How about some sort of auto update, the 50fps increase would nice. And I agree with Heeven "An advanced control panel with many more options with all tabs enabled"

PikachuMan
10-22-05, 07:44 PM
I would like some simplifications in the Profiles system. The main thing would be to give the 'remove' button a permanent place, rather than have it switch places with the 'restore' button.

It would be nice to have a quick way to turn off profiling altogether, for troubleshooting purposes. If you remember, NFSU2 would crash with the default profile for it. FarCry 1.3 also seems to suffer problems, with the profile breaking HDR for the Geforce 6 Series (according to the 81.85 release notes).

siorai
10-22-05, 10:35 PM
Simply for them to bloody well work. The 8* series causes lockups like crazy with my system. Very very annoying to say the least.. :mad:

WimpMiester
10-23-05, 10:33 AM
To fix the Stutter that was introduced back in the 61.76 driver. Sure I can reboot until it goes away but WTF did they do to cause it and why hasn't it been fixed buy now.

Shocky
10-23-05, 11:05 AM
They can fix the profiles for a start, im back with 78.04 as the profiles with 81.85 don't work correctly with SLI nor do they apply any settings. :mad:

gstanford
10-23-05, 10:03 PM
Some things I would like to see happen:

AF filtering quality restored to previous (pre-nV40 levels).

nHancer integrated into the driver in place of nVidia's own profile management.

More optimization and IQ options (for instance nHancer's Texture LOD selection), more AA options for profiles.

One thing I would especially like to see happen is the ability to change the sampling pattern the texture units use to grab samples (it is currently shaped like a fresnel lens - rings within rings, which can be clearly seen when texture artifacting occurs, such as in mafia, doom3 etc - pic links below), however this may require a change in hardware, not software (I recently noticed even a PS2 has similar artifacting). However, it is hugely annoying and does more to spoil IQ than anything else for me.

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/9375/pic10xb.jpg

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2803/pic25kt.jpg

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/8347/pic33oi.jpg

fatal1ty
10-23-05, 10:12 PM
An uninstaller built into the installer when updating drivers that would remove the old driver, driver files and registry entries properly before updating to the new driver and files.

fatal1ty
10-23-05, 10:14 PM
Some things I would like to see happen:

AF filtering quality restored to previous (pre-nV40 levels).

nHancer integrated into the driver in place of nVidia's own profile management.

More optimization and IQ options (for instance nHancer's Texture LOD selection), more AA options for profiles.

One thing I would especially like to see happen is the ability to change the sampling pattern the texture units use to grab samples (it is currently shaped like a fresnel lens - rings within rings, which can be clearly seen when texture artifacting occurs, such as in mafia, doom3 etc - pic links below), however this may require a change in hardware, not software (I recently noticed even a PS2 has similar artifacting). However, it is hugely annoying and does more to spoil IQ than anything else for me.

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/9375/pic10xb.jpg

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2803/pic25kt.jpg

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/8347/pic33oi.jpg

Ah, the annoying moire - I'd like to see that fixed.

s[H]ellshock
10-24-05, 03:15 PM
I would just like to know what kind of preformance increases can we expect with upcoming drivers.

Darkfalz
10-24-05, 07:44 PM
4)A little guy that pops onto the screen now and then and says "Your rig rules!".

I would rather if it was a chick who pops out her tits and "Your rig rules" are painting across her chest.

Darkfalz
10-24-05, 07:45 PM
They can fix the profiles for a start, im back with 78.04 as the profiles with 81.85 don't work correctly with SLI nor do they apply any settings. :mad:

They seem to bork profiles up more every new release

Graphicmaniac
10-25-05, 08:12 AM
An integrated auto-uninstaller that perfectly removes anything needs be removed i think would be a really good idea.

monkeydust
10-25-05, 08:28 AM
To be able to use s-video out in SLI mode (so I don't have to disable SLI to watch a movie on my TV).

gstanford
10-25-05, 08:52 AM
I have on more wish, that I didn't think of before.

I'd like to see an option in the drivers that allows you to specify the type of AA you get when you specify AA as app controlled.

This is because, 99.9% of the time, if you specify AA through the application, you will end up with plain vanilla MSAA.

So you might specify 4x AA, but would like it to be 4xS or 4x9 tap, but you get 4x MSAA because there isn't the option in the game to specify the exact AA you want.

Profiles do overcome this issue most of the time, however some games only apply AA correctly if it is requested by the application.

A similar option could exist for AF filtering where games only allow you to turn it on or off, not specify the degree of filtering you want.