PDA

View Full Version : HELP: 6800GT Trouble

NovaDude
10-22-05, 08:50 AM
Hello,

I've had my Nvidia 6800GT for a long time now, but today when I boot up my computer something really weird happend.

I get all sorts of weird lines trough my screen, then all weird coloured blocks.
It looks much like what you get when you overclock your video card too much and it doesn't get enough power or it doesn't have enough memory, how ever my video card is at standard settings, I have not fiddled with it.

I'd take a screenshot and show you, but I am on a computer which isn't mine, so I have limited accesibility right now, I hope you can identify the problem by the little information I have (could) give you.

So far I've tried to take out all the wires, I put a vacuum cleaner on all the vans and cleaned everything, I've taken all the power off, I've waited a long time before turning it back on, but it just comes back.

I must add that one time I did turn it on during my "What the hell is happening" period and it worked normal, after flipping trough my Nvidia Driver Settings to look what might have been causing it, BAM, it happend again.
It happened exactly after turning on "Transparency when moving Windows", and when I moved the window, it turned transparent, and bam my video card went crazy.

Help would be much appriciated,
Thanks in advance,
Joey

TierMann
10-22-05, 09:07 AM
What brand is it and is it still under warranty?
Sounds like it's time to send it back if it is. Sounds like the gpu or memory is going on it because when you drag a transparent window it's done by the gpu.

You could try a couple different driver versions, like 78.05 or 81.85 and see what happens. Hopefully it's just a software problem, but it doesn't sound like it.

NovaDude
10-22-05, 09:09 AM
It's a Club3D, and I have no idea wether it's still under waranty, infact I don't have the waranty paper thingy anymore I believe.

I am using the latest driver from the nVidia website, but how would I go about installing another, I can't access my PC at all.

Thanks for your reply.

TierMann
10-22-05, 09:20 AM
That I'm not sure on if you can't get in there at all, but if it's still working part of the time, try to get into safe mode. You can uninstall the drivers from there and reboot then grab another version from ftp://download.nvidia.com .

If that card won't even get you into safe mode and you have access to another card (a friend's, or an old one you have in a box someplace) you could pop that in to boot with and uninstall the nvidia display drivers. But then again if it's not even working in safe mode then it's not the drivers.

NovaDude
10-22-05, 09:25 AM
I booted up succesfully using "Enable VGA-Mode", I deleted my nVidia Driver and it's running on software now, how ever I still have all the uglyness trough my screen, but I can log in.

I tried to install the last version of the nVidia Drivers again, but half-way trough the installation my PC reboots.

I have re-installed Windows (C:\) only half a week ago, so a messed up system coudn't have anything to do with this.
All my documents are on another HDD (D:\) so my windows is quite clean.

I'm going to try and install a older version from the website you specified.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Since it's still screwed up while I have no Nvidia Drivers installed, I think it's safe to say it's my video card it self acting up.

Am I screwed?

Sir Random
10-22-05, 11:24 AM
If you're getting graphic distortion while in Safe Mode, then it's almost definitely a hardware problem.

TierMann
10-22-05, 02:21 PM
EDIT: Since it's still screwed up while I have no Nvidia Drivers installed, I think it's safe to say it's my video card it self acting up.

Am I screwed?

Sorry :(. It does look that way.

You could try that card in another pc too just to make sure it's the card and not something like your power supply, ram or cpu or agp slot going on you, but it's most likely just the card itself.

PSYCHODAD
10-22-05, 04:38 PM
Sorry :(. It does look that way.

You could try that card in another pc too just to make sure it's the card and not something like your power supply, ram or cpu or agp slot going on you, but it's most likely just the card itself.
Good advice.

crainger
10-23-05, 11:19 PM
It sounds just like the problem I had. I'm sorry to say, looks like the card is dying.

myshkinbob
10-23-05, 11:53 PM
You should try it another pc. I got up today, switched on my monitor and had really nasty corruption, coloured dots and lines on the login screen. Tried a game and it was totally artifacted, all strange colours, polygon errors etc. I was getting worried. I have motherboard monitor installed, so i checked it and it was showing a really low 3.3v line, like 2.75v. I gave the ATX power cable on my montherboard a wiggle and pushed it in more, and the 3.3v came back up to 3.25v. Card's working fine now. In other words, you might want to check it's not your PSU or something voltage related.