PDA

View Full Version : hp pavilion zv5405us geforce4 440 go...

daygo140
10-22-05, 06:40 PM
I have a few issues that I need advice for.

I just purchased Far Cry. I haven't installed it just yet. I want to make sure my vid card and monitor properties are adjusted properly. First off, I noticed the Far Cry requirements request for nVIDIA cards to have the ForceWare drivers installed. I have a nVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 64MB card with the original drivers installed so I am not sure if the game will fly or not since I haven't attempted to install it yet. I am having one hell of a time locating a WORKING updated driver.

Obviously I exhausted trying to use the updated driver located on hp's site for my specific laptop. I downloaded, installed, and rebooted and the display was all whack!! I tried numerous adjustments in settings for the display such as changing the resolution (none of which included 1280X800 for my widescreen) and every other setting and they wouldn't stick. So I rolled back the driver and it is working nice but it's the original driver.

I google my brains out and found ForceWare drivers at guru3d.com for the GeForce4 440 Go cards but they stop in the middle of the install stating, "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit".

Can someone point me to a working ForceWare driver for my nVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 64MB card that has 1280X800 resolutions available to use? OR at least an updated driver period for my resolution?

Secondly, I show default monitor for this. It's a 15.4 W**A LCD. Is there ANYWHERE I can attain the hp driver for this?

Everything is running fine right now, I just want to make sure I have no hitches when trying to install and play Far Cry.

sniggle
10-22-05, 07:53 PM
you may find the latest official and beta drivers at www.laptopvideo2go.com. however, you're going to have a tough time playing far cry with smooth framerates on that video chipset in a laptop.

daygo140
10-22-05, 08:05 PM
I tried the 70.41 and got the same couldn't install message so I bumped down to the 67.90 and it installed, I think? Because when I go to driver properties there is no indication it installed the version reads 4.1.19 or something like that.

As far as running Far Cry on my laptop here are the specs of it:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
512MB DDR
80GB
nVIDIA Geforce4 440 64MB

everything meets or exceeds the recommended requirements with the exception of the vid card and that meets the minimum requirements.

saturnotaku
10-22-05, 08:12 PM
Did you make sure to download the .inf file as well? You need both. Replace the .inf file in the full driver download with the one from laptopvideo2go.

daygo140
10-23-05, 12:08 AM
The game works very nice. I went online and got my ass handed to me...LOL.

I downloaded 6790 and all I did was unzip and ran setup.exe. Explain in more detail how to "replace the .inf".

daygo140
10-23-05, 12:20 AM
Oh geez. I got it. I just found the "name scheme" obviously 6790 is for a ALiENWARE/EUROCOM/SAGER. U guys musta thought I was retarted...LOL.

Ok let me know if I am right here. I am going to download v61.12 and use NVHB or NVHM.inf not sure one is Compaq, hp and the other is hp, Compaq. I try the latter.

Do you think I hurt the laptop running the setup.exe from the 6790 archive? It didn't seem to do a damn thing.

daygo140
10-23-05, 12:46 AM
I'm almost there but I am confused, bad.

Look at my original post see if you can figure out what I should download from laptop2video. Then give a good step-by-step explanation on how to install this. I read through some of their FAQ's and it's a little vague on what exactly to do.

If nobody wants to put in the effort to explain to me in an unvague way well I guess I'll roll with what I got because it works fine. No problems at all while playing the game.

j0j081
10-24-05, 05:59 AM
nice to know the game works on your laptop. imo, once you figure out what driver you are going to use you should run drivercleaner in safe mode to clean up all the crap you've been messing with.

daygo140
10-24-05, 10:08 AM
nice to know the game works on your laptop. imo, once you figure out what driver you are going to use you should run drivercleaner in safe mode to clean up all the crap you've been messing with.

Yep I have been trying like a mo fo to get these drivers to work. But nothing stuck. I always received the nVIDIA "no compatible hardware detected" or XP's you are using the best driver. So the driver it is using now is an old one but the integrity is 100%. I don't see what drivercleaner.net will do for me.

Besides I still didn't get schooled on what driver to use with my laptop and how to get it to work as requested in my previous post. Are you good with this? Do you mind giving me a hand?

I like what the laptop2go guys are doing but they need some type of tutorial. ALL the information on the site is vague. One question here, one question there but never really a good explanation on how to do it. I build websites, repair computers, PHP, etc. so it shouldn't be hard for me to pick up.

j0j081
10-25-05, 05:01 AM
according to what i read in their forums these drivers should work...
http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=374&Itemid=41/

They are based on the 81.85 set and have both performance and IQ tweaks. The point of using DC Pro in safe mode is to get rid of any nasty driver remains the installer is prone to forgettings (run Nvidia filter). This can reduce the risk of conflicts, it's not necessary but a lot of people here swear by it.

saturnotaku
10-25-05, 06:43 AM
This can reduce the risk of conflicts, it's not necessary but a lot of people here swear by it.

That program is excellent. I've even been able to swap between NVIDIA and ATI cards without having to reinstall Windows because of DC Pro.

Anyway, installing drivers on mobile GPUs really is simple. Here (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?s=80) is a link to the various Forceware 80-series drivers. There are two things you must download, the drivers themselves and the .inf file that corresponds to the driver you want to try. Extract the drivers, then replace the .inf file in that folder with the one you downloaded. Then install the drivers as normal, including running Driver Cleaner beforehand.