PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation: Matrox G550 PCIe & SLI :)

Monolyth
10-22-05, 09:08 PM
Alright guys, first want to thank those that answered my previous post :)

I just wanted to post this up that I have confirmed that the Matrox G550 PCIe and SLI'ed 7800GTX's on ASUS A8N-SLI Premium does in fact work extremely well, with no performance loss (course going from x800 Pro to SLI hehe, is a performance gain anyways).

I have confirmed SLI running in-game by turning on the "Show SLI indicator DX & OGL apps", and still retaining my 2nd display fully accessible. The Matrox 550 has very nice 2d, crisp and clear, and doesn't use any bandwidth that my X-Fi wants ;)

Install Notes:
Installation was pretty easy. I set BIOS to boot up to the PCI first and it actually used the g550 (instead of switching to the first PCIe slot). So Asus got it right on this board and put lesser PCIe video cards in the "PCI" group for bootup. Anyways...

Installed windows, installed the usual "required" chipset, AMD, etc drivers, then installed the Matrox drivers and rebooted. Then I installed the nVidia forceware drivers, I then extended windows onto the 7800GTX (make sure you get the right DVI port ;). Once extended I made the nVidia the primary display, after that I disabled extension on the Matrox causing a blank screen, re-enabled windows extension on Matrox, and then moved my taskbar and all that good stuff over there. And life is good now :)

This is all using Windows built-in pretty well written (for once) multi-display support. Here's some driver/setup info:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium (BIOS 1009.004 BETA, nForce 6.82 BETA)
AMD Athlon X2 4800+ (CnQ Disabled in BIOS, Driver installed)
2GB - Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO (@PC3200, 2-2-2-5-1)
Leadtek 7800GTX TDH (SLI) (ForceWare 81.85 WHQL)
Matrox g550 PCIe
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty (w/only web drivers & audio console, dont need anything else :)

I have yet to crash with this setup at all, and the speeds are amazing. I can turn EVERYTHING up in BF2 and still have smooth play. The same goes for FEAR, apart from the "checkpoint" freezes, I have everything maxxed and the game runs smooth as ice.

I guess I am lucky to not have the kind of problems others have been reporting, but you never know..guess I better not count my chickens before my new PC Incubator hatches them :)

Peace out!