PDA

View Full Version : Dual-Core question

ceviker
10-23-05, 04:17 PM
I hope you all can give me some info on this. I'm running a 4000+ oc'd from 2400 to 2600 and I'm wondering if I will see a performance benefit if i got a x2 4200 and if so, how much? I'm running SLI 7800's and run all games in 1600x1200.

OWA
10-23-05, 04:49 PM
I think it'll depend on how far you can overclock the X2 plus whatever game you're playing. Some show improved performance with the new dual-core aware drivers, some don't.

Sazar
10-23-05, 04:51 PM
In gaming, honestly you will likely not see much of a tangible difference.

In other things, you will likely see increased smoothness.

I think Doom 3 currently shows the biggest improvement going from single to dual setup.

TierMann
10-23-05, 08:34 PM
I think Doom 3 currently shows the biggest improvement going from single to dual setup.

I noticed the doom3 process seems to use up to 100% cpu (both cores) on it's own where Source will use up to 50% and the rest of the usage comes from the System process. I don't know what that means exactly as far as what is getting processed where, but I think that's why there's a bigger improvement in doom3.

jAkUp
10-24-05, 12:27 AM
There is a bigger improvment in CPU limited applications when using dual core.

For example, I gained 1,300 points in 3DMark05 when I switched to dual core. Same clockspeed.

Sazar
10-24-05, 01:08 AM
My main hope was snappy performance all around, specially for video editing and recording and I have gotten that.

I can alt-tab with hardly a glitch and when I quit from a game, I am in usable performance IMMEDIATELY rather than having slow performance for a few seconds like I used to have.

Overall gaming performance also has smoothed and I can have multiple instances of F@H going while gaming, which I could not do before :cool:

So yes, there are benefits but perhaps not performance boosts along the lines of what you might want.

jAkUp
10-24-05, 01:13 AM
Yea, future games will definetely see large performance increases though :)