PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a good monitor

nukem
10-23-05, 10:36 PM
Well my monitor just died and im looking for a new monitor. Right now im not to sure on the status of LCD vs CRT but as long as I get the best performance quality, and good lifespan(longer then the 5 years my last monitor gave me). Anyway Im looking for a good monitor to hook up to my eVGA 7800 GT to play Quake4, Doom3, ect. Id like the monitor to have at least 20inch viewable, I was thinking about the Apple 20' LCD. (http://www.apple.com/displays/) Anyone know anything about that? Would a TV be a good option? Please help me, im completly lost.

Thanks,

nuke

lightman
10-24-05, 03:37 AM
The Apple 20" is a great monitor (well, it's the one I have, so I couldn't say anything bad about it ;)).

Keep in mind, though, that both the dell 2005FPW and the Philips 200W6CB use the same LCD panel (a LG.Philips one, btw).

nukem
10-24-05, 03:20 PM
The Apple 20" is a great monitor (well, it's the one I have, so I couldn't say anything bad about it ;)).

Keep in mind, though, that both the dell 2005FPW and the Philips 200W6CB use the same LCD panel (a LG.Philips one, btw).

How is it in gaming? Any ghosting?

nukem
10-24-05, 03:21 PM
I just came across the HP f2105. (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=P8727AA%23ABA&tab=overview&storeName=computer_store&landing=monitors&category=hp&subcat1=flat_lcd&catLevel=2#defaultAnchor) Its a 21" LCD with a 12ms response time compared to the 16ms of the apple.

TimeOut
10-24-05, 04:44 PM
I just came across the HP f2105. (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=P8727AA%23ABA&tab=overview&storeName=computer_store&landing=monitors&category=hp&subcat1=flat_lcd&catLevel=2#defaultAnchor) Its a 21" LCD with a 12ms response time compared to the 16ms of the apple.

I got one and it is awesome. :thumbsup:
I'm now looking forward to buy a GeForce 7800 so I can play BF2 at 1680x1050 with decent frame rates.

karkrash81
10-24-05, 05:09 PM
I have two dell 2005fpw's and enjoy gaming on them immensely.

Rakeesh
10-24-05, 05:12 PM

And the dell one is about half the price, and every bit as good as the apple and the philips. Oh, and also the dell one includes a 3 year complete warranty whereas apples is a 90 day limited warranty. You'll pay less and get more with the dell.

lightman
10-24-05, 05:12 PM

The HP looks good, but keep in mind that Apple almost always gives more conservative specs than the other manufacturers.

The DELL is rated at 12ms, and it uses the same panel as the Apple... Go figure ;)

It would be nice to know exactly what kind of panel the HP uses, if it is an 8 bits Super IPS (like the one in the Apple, Dell and Philips) or a faster, but poorer in quality, 6 bits TN one...

Give me a couple of mins to search HP's site ... :D

lightman
10-24-05, 05:15 PM
And the dell one is about half the price, and every bit as good as the apple and the philips. Oh, and also the dell one includes a 3 year complete warranty whereas apples is a 90 day limited warranty.

90 days ? WTF ? Mine has got a 1 year warranty.

Philips' one has got a 3 years warranty, with drop in replacement no questions asked during the first one...

Oh, and btw, we all know by now that you simply hate Apple... Move on, pls ... ;)

Rakeesh
10-24-05, 05:20 PM
90 days ? WTF ? Mine has got a 1 year warranty.

Well, not only is dells warranty 3 times longer, but it also covers shipping. And again, it only costs half as much. I don't know why you would want to pay more for the apple monitor and get a lesser warranty.

lightman
10-24-05, 05:22 PM
Ok, while I haven't found the exact type of panel used by the f2105, I noticed that the specs report the average response time as being "as fast as 12ms (gray to gray)" (emphasis added) ... So I would take it with a pinch of salt ;)

nukem
10-24-05, 08:40 PM
Well I just came across the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=techspecs&sku=320-4111&spagenum=&category_id=6198&brandid=&k=&c=us&l=en&cs=19&mnf=&prst=&prEnd=&mnfsku=&orderby=&searchtype=&pageb4search=&page=productlisting.aspx&instock=&refurbished=) For the price and the features it has it seems like a winner. My main concern is how is it with gaming(Quake4, Doom3, Half-Life 2 etc at full settings). I want to make sure this monitor works with gaming. Also I read that it has picture in picture. Does this mean I can hook my laptop up to it and use the one monitor to display both my desktop and laptop?

Thanks

nuke

nukem
10-24-05, 10:21 PM
I just noticed that the Image Aspect Ratio is 16:10 but all my games with wide screen support(Quake4 and Half-Life 2) say 16:9. Is this going to be a problem?

Rakeesh
10-24-05, 10:25 PM
I would wait for that monitor to go on sale. I've seen dells website let it go for less than $400 a few times. Hell, it could be available for a price like that right now if the coupon codes for it are active:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/530012

nukem
10-24-05, 11:01 PM
Well according to the dell site it is. I kina need it fast because my old one died and I stole my sisters crappy monitor.

zoomy942
10-24-05, 11:24 PM
i am gonna swear by ANY BenQ lcd. i have had 4 in a row and bought 4 more for customers of mine and .. not a single dead pixel

Rakeesh
10-24-05, 11:25 PM
Well according to the dell site it is. I kina need it fast because my old one died and I stole my sisters crappy monitor.

Dells monitors are always at a discount similar to that. The good discounts come now and then and subtract 40% or more off of that list price.

nukem
10-25-05, 07:47 AM
Dells monitors are always at a discount similar to that. The good discounts come now and then and subtract 40% or more off of that list price.

How often does that happen? Anyway I think im gona call up Dell and see if I can get a discount. Alot of times the reps on the phone will give you stuff.

Riptide
10-25-05, 08:55 AM
i am gonna swear by ANY BenQ lcd. i have had 4 in a row and bought 4 more for customers of mine and .. not a single dead pixelThe panel in the 2000FP was an Acer (aka BenQ). Mine had 2 stuck red pixels.

BTW, it was still a nice display.

nukem
10-25-05, 09:35 PM
Well I looked at BenQ monitors and the BenQ FP202W (http://www.benq.com/Products/product.cfm?product=608) seems to look great. The only problem is although I read it should be comming out Q4 of 2005 I cannt find it anywere and there are no reviews of it out. Anyone know anything about this monitor? Its supposted to eleminate ghosting with its 8ms refreash rate.