PDA

View Full Version : Allard Gets Real...

Bad_Boy
10-23-05, 09:46 PM
Im sure you have all read it before on another forum/website by now. mind as well post it here.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/660/660456p1.html

Q: I've spoken to several developers and they're all telling me they're filling up their DVD pretty quickly, that the media isn't big enough. What's going to be done about that?

Allard: Well, we've got to do better on compression. We're not totally where we want to be with compression. Honestly, to be frank, stuff comes in hot. We're trying to do a worldwide launch of this very ambitious program, and developers will tell you that they're not very satisfied with the DVD emulator or compression. And therefore they are layouts with DVD, they're struggling with that; they're cutting corners. Basically what happens when you get final hardware late, you're sloppy. With all deference to the developers, you've got to take every out you can and so they're not applying all their talents, as they will next year and the year after to get every little bit they can out of it. They're being a little sloppy with the CPU, they're being a little sloppy with the discs, they're being a little sloppy with their formats and compression to make launch. And next year, you'll see that they tighten that up so they can get more out of the system using the same disc capacity, using the same compression, and the same art tools, and so they'll get a lot more out of the system next year. That's why games look better year over year. It's primarily because hardware comes in hot, and developers use the deficiency of the schedule not to just learn the hardware but to cut a couple of corners.

Q: Let's step back for a second. What do you think Sony is doing right now? I'm asking from a pure speculative perspective. Let's just look at what they have said and done. What is your opinion of what Sony is thinking and feeling right now? Just your opinion.

Allard: I hope that Sony is nervous. Honestly, because our launch lineup looks great. They've shown two really good movies. And a picture of a console that doesn't have any ventilation holes in it. Their list of claims versus their list of proof, well, there is a big, big gap there to close between now and spring 06. So, if I'm in Sony's shoes, I'm a little nervous right now because our lineup looks great. Our hardware is the same. We have a kick-ass online service that just got better. Our media support is really, really good. And we got the industrial design right. If I'm sitting in Mr. Kutaragi's shoes? I've got a lot of work to do between now and spring. But hopefully that's all goodness. Hopefully it's spurring the Sony team to go, "We have to get serious about online, no more rhetoric, let's go build a service. Let's go buy somebody, let's go buy somebody else, let's get serious." They went and they bought a systems company, God bless 'em. If my GDC keynote contributed to Sony having better tools on PlayStation, so developers can be better on PlayStation, and focus more on games, god bless 'em. That's a good thing. If they are embarrassed by their controller design as a result of having played with our wireless game pad, and they make a better controller? That's a good thing. God Bless 'em. That's good for the industry. I hope that it's healthy competition. And that they are a little nervous and they're looking to see what we've done and done well and said, "Hey, for the things that we're not quite finished with, let's make them better. You know, we aspire more to do more as a result of Microsoft being in the market;" that's what I hope they're doing. And I hope they're not getting complacent, and saying, "Hey, we've got a great brand, we've got a couple of great franchises, we're unstoppable because we've had two rounds." I hope they're not doing that. I hope that they're going to put up a real good fight for position number one. Because if they do, consumers benefit, and we'll grow that market.

discuss :D

slick
10-23-05, 10:09 PM
The only thing I can honestly say that I'm concerned about for the 360's future is the use of DVD's instead of a larger media storage medium. Games are progressively getting larger, and if they are filling up a DVD in the first generation of games, what is going to happen as those progress? I know he said that they are going to have to tighten up compression, and the use of two DVD discs is possible, but still, it's not a lot of room, and if a game is going to have a "seamless world" as is being dubbed possible this generation, then two discs would interrupt that. Everything else I pretty much agree with.

Mr. Hunt
10-23-05, 11:32 PM
NOOO! I don't want 2 DVD games... poo. I really hate having to change discs... yes I am lazy... and I don't care :\.

msxyz
10-24-05, 05:34 AM
I liked this quote:

Q: Do you think PS3 is still coming out in spring 06?

Allard: I keep reading spring 06. You keep writing it. He keeps saying it, you keep writing it, and I keep reading it. I don't know what to believe. The only console I have seen doesn't have holes in it. You can't have a 200-watt-plus system and not have air flow through it. You know? Nobody has tried the boomerang yet. I hope they do something better than that.

While he's clearly making cheap humor about the competition he does have a point. Cell dissipates nearly 100W at 2.4GHz; I do wonder how they're supposed to stuff a 3.2GHz part inside a cramped console case. No wonder that Toshiba is racing to have a 65nm line ready for production before H2/06.

Knot3D
10-24-05, 06:40 AM
Ventilation slits can possibly be pretty well hidden from the player's eye in that PS3 design...

Allard, like all of us, can only say anything about the casing and the controller. But that's the superficial stuff.

I'm guessing Sony's getting their Blu ray media format to function 100% from start plus all dev kits and dev tools/libraries up to standards. I'd bet Sony's not all too worried.

Mr. Hunt
10-24-05, 11:31 AM
Making fun of the controller... funny how the X360 "borrowed" the 4 shoulder buttons design from the playstation controllers :\.

Ninja Prime
10-24-05, 01:41 PM
Making fun of the controller... funny how the X360 "borrowed" the 4 shoulder buttons design from the playstation controllers :\.

As if Sony never "borrowed" anything from nintendo. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the banana/boomerang has got to go, it looks like total crap.

slick
10-24-05, 01:57 PM

Technically there's only two buttons on the shoulders now, the other two are analog sticks, they can just only move in one direction. I liked the black/white buttons where they were though. We'll see how it works out.

|MaguS|
10-24-05, 01:58 PM
As if Sony never "borrowed" anything from nintendo. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the banana/boomerang has got to go, it looks like total crap.

Sony borrowed alot from Nintendo (mostly marketing outlook prior to the PSX Launch), As for the controller its still incomplete... they have yet to finalize it.

Bad_Boy
10-24-05, 09:08 PM
Ventilation slits can possibly be pretty well hidden from the player's eye in that PS3 design...

well maybe not to the player's eye; i can see them fine.... maybe Allard needs glasses?
http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/9223/ps359zr.jpg

|MaguS|
10-24-05, 11:28 PM
I don't think they will be enough, Im seeing the PSX Gen1 all over again.

Mr. Hunt
10-24-05, 11:37 PM
I don't understand the complaints about the controller... sure it looks kind of weird at first... but I think it looks comfortable :\.

GamerGuyX
10-25-05, 12:26 AM
I don't understand the complaints about the controller... sure it looks kind of weird at first... but I think it looks comfortable :\.

lol. The reason a lot of complain about it (including me) is because it looks very uncomfortable. My hands looks like it would get all cramped up trying to hold it.

msxyz
10-25-05, 02:58 AM
I don't think they will be enough, Im seeing the PSX Gen1 all over again.Yep, the first PSX models had troubles because of overheating.

Which is odd in the first place since half of Japan has a sub-tropical climate during summer months, thus the engineers at Sony should be familiar with such problems.

PS: The controller reminds me of the first Microsoft Sidewinder models which had a boomerang shape although not so pronounced. People with big hands will probably find it comfortable.

Vagrant Zero
10-25-05, 12:09 PM
Psh, I hope some 3rd party makes some adapter so I can hook up my ps2 controllers to the ps3.