PDA

View Full Version : Q4 causes a BSOD (?!)

DoomUK
10-24-05, 10:28 AM
OK, while running Quake 4 I occasionaly get a blue screen error relating to "nv_disp.dll". Drivers in sig.

No, this does not occur in any other app, and yes I've ran Memtest86+ for many hours and came up with 0 errors...

The only explanation I can give is that the quake4.exe is not officialy supported in the 81.85's, which will hopefully be fixed when nVidia's driver crew put together the next Forceware set. Or it's a bug in the game :rolleyes:.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thankyou.

EDIT: Rather than making a new thread about this, one other thing: Quake 4 suffres from the same audio distortion/stuttering that Doom 3 did, at least on Audigy 2 hardware :(. I've tried using the latest BETA driver w/ OpenAL support, makes no difference. Are us Audigy 2 users completely doomed or something? If so, then I'll be investing in an X-Fi series, if that's what it takes...

sonaboy
10-24-05, 10:30 AM
where do you get the memtest86 app?

I get a BSOD error in BF2, and i'm curious to see if i have a memory leak.

Gnu_Raiz
10-24-05, 10:46 AM
You want to use the memtest86 plus which can be found at:
http://www.memtest.org

You might want to check the timings and adjust it down if you are overclocking your memory.

I get bsod also but I have pc3200 memory running in a amd machine which only wants pc 2700 speeds. So it could be an error as the memory is not running at the same speed as the fsb of the cpu I am using. I am also not using a matched set, one is from Crucial, the other is from wintec or something like that.

The game is playable but it can bsod once in a while, as well as most games on this machine such as bf2, and once in a while ut2004.

Gnu_Raiz

acrh2
10-24-05, 12:48 PM
No problems with 81.85 with respect to running q4 here.

Tygerwoody
10-24-05, 12:55 PM
Have you cleaned out all your temp files and spyware? Alot of times, just having a bogged down machine will cause your computer to throw up random errors.

DoomUK
10-24-05, 04:55 PM
You might want to check the timings and adjust it down if you are overclocking your memory.

That seemed to be the problem as regards the BSOD's. Back at the default 2.5-3-3-7 now, working great so far.

Any thoughts from anyone on the sound issue?

Scunner
10-24-05, 07:47 PM
I've got the same motherboard as you, and a 7800 GTX and have been experiencing random BSODs with Q4.

I tried a number of different things; new video drivers, OpenAL drivers, downclocking my 7800, everything short of offering up my first-born to the Gods of Stability.

I think I solved my problems by plugging in a molex into the EZ Plug socket on the motherboard. Yes, this is supposed to increase stability for SLI, but it also seems to provide a boost to a single-card setup also. Q4 hasn't BSOD on me yet. I'm running 2.5-3-3-6 timings on RAM.