PDA

View Full Version : Intel D955XBK and SLI

power_down
10-24-05, 02:17 PM
hi
i got a 6800GT SLI and thinking about getting another one and make a SLI System i searched a lot but there is something i didn't understand the SLI motherboards is ok with SLI for sure but there is an Intel mohterboard D955XBK it have 2 PCI-X !! but does it support SLI and if it not why there is a second PCI-X ?
i don't know the basics of the SLI so please if am asking a stupied question please answer me :) thanx

saturnotaku
10-24-05, 02:27 PM
A motherboard has to have 2 PCI-Express x16 slots in order to be SLI capable. Intel 9xx chipsets only have 1 of these slots. The other PCI-Express slots are x1, which video cards don't use (except for one particular Matrox model).

So short answer - no, your system is not SLI capable. To get that, you would need to purchase a motherboard based on the NVIDIA nForce4 SLI chipset, either AMD or Intel.

jAkUp
10-24-05, 02:36 PM
Well the 955x has dual 16x slots I believe... however, it does not support SLI.

saturnotaku
10-24-05, 03:01 PM
Well the 955x has dual 16x slots I believe... however, it does not support SLI.

Y'know, you're right...I was thinking of the 915/925 series of boards. I know there was one Intel-made board that was SLI capable. Alienware made a system based on it when SLI was first hitting the market. It was a server-grade board IIRC that used Xeon processors and ECC memory. The system Alienware was selling had to be water cooled.

power_down
10-24-05, 03:15 PM
will i don't know but check this out

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/mainboard/intel-d955xbk-i955x.html

Toss3
10-24-05, 03:46 PM
" 2 x PCIEx16 (the second slot operates in x4 mode, it's intended for an additional video accelerator to organize SLI)"

So it supports SLi, but only a card with two Gpus in the first slot, cuz' the other slot is only for an Sli organizer? Or did I get it entirely wrong :D?

power_down
10-24-05, 05:48 PM
i think you get it wrong why am saying that because thats the motherboard overview from intel site

Expansion Capabilities
One PCI Express* x16 bus add-in card connector (THATS THE FIRST CARD)
One Secondary PCI Express* x16/x4 bus add-in card connector (THATS THE SECOND CARD its cabeable to opreate in 16x mode)

and i think there is no problem if you put 1 card in the first slot maybe :S

grimreefer
10-24-05, 06:24 PM
u basically have to have an nvidia chipset for sli......
hope that answers all ur questions!

Darkoz
10-24-05, 08:18 PM
Or wait for the up coming 975X chipset boards which will have SLI support.

Sir Random
10-24-05, 10:28 PM
From the article at digit-life:

First of all let's note that thanks to the Intel-NVIDIA cooperation the new i945 and i955X chipsets learned to support SLI mode, the eloquent proof of this support is two PCIEx16 slots (the second slot operates in x4 mode).
So that mobo does support SLI.

NightFire
10-24-05, 11:05 PM
I was under the impression that the Intel D955XBK didn't have SLI support, but can do Crossfire. The second x16 connector can only use 4 lanes (x4).

power_down
10-25-05, 05:30 PM
will i geuss i will wait for the 975x cause here in Egpyt there is no mothoerboards for SLI its an alien technology here :D and the most wonderful card for Egyptian users is Radeon 7000 so u figure out if am talkin about SLI here what i will hear :D