PDA

View Full Version : video & audio stutter after installing "Q4" creative beta driver?

TB303
10-24-05, 08:15 PM
Hi people,
Ever since I installed the "Beta" creative driver with OpenAL suport I get choppy playback at various games, both audio and video wise, it seems as if every 10 seconds there is 1 second pause, regardless of the FPS which is high and fluid.

This is very troubling and happends to me in Q4, Fear, GTA:SA, and Serious Sam 2 - the games I have installed at the moment.

It's interesting to note that I tried playign around with RightMark sound - and it sounded great, no coppiness there, including in EAX HD mode. So the stuttering may be graphics related...

I have no idea why now,
I have been Ocing my system in teh last week, but all went welll and I'm back at stock of course, yet still the stuttering is there.

I haven't installed any recent display driver (using the 78.01) which worked perfectly. I also scanned for viruses and spyware which were negative.

my rig appears bellow, please advise, Thanks!

My rig:
A64 +3000 (venice)
1GB 400DDR
Av8 - 3rd eye
XFX 6800GT
Audigy 2 ZS
Maxtor IDE 130GB

DoomUK
10-24-05, 08:50 PM
I have the same audio hardware as you and I get audio stuttering in Quake 4- check out my recent post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58673. Personally I find no improvement in using the OpenAL/EAX BETA driver and the original drivers that came with my ZS...

Any video stuttering you're experiencing in Quake 4 is probably because you're running @ Ultra quality on that system, correct me if I'm wrong though.

TB303
10-24-05, 09:03 PM
I have the same audio hardware as you and I get audio stuttering in Quake 4- check out my recent post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58673. Personally I find no improvement in using the OpenAL/EAX BETA driver and the original drivers that came with my ZS...

Any video stuttering you're experiencing in Quake 4 is probably because you're running @ Ultra quality on that system, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Thanks mate,
No, I am runnig Quake on "HIGH" - as I have only 256MB video ram.
Also, I'm experiencing those stutters in many other games, including stuff like GTA:SA which used to run like butter on my system...

;-((

any ideas?

Vagrant Zero
10-24-05, 09:06 PM
I also have a Audigy 2 but I don't use creative drivers, which I found suck and are more trouble than they're worth. Instead I use the 3rd party drivers found here: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/. I haven't had any audio problems with them...ever. And I don't really miss EAX either.

_Thanatos_
10-25-05, 04:42 AM
I don't use Beta drivers, only last 'offficial' and update from CL www page.
OpenAL works OK on Quake 4.

TB303
10-25-05, 05:07 AM
Anyone knows how I can un install and roll back?

I'll try to remove the device in windows device manager and use Driver cleaner.
would that work?

God , how I hate creative!

pingu2
10-25-05, 05:14 AM
use system restore? how did we get by before system restore?!

TB303
10-25-05, 06:02 AM
use system restore? how did we get by before system restore?!

Not sure I have it working, I'm one of those people who disabled System restore in the name of performance...

acrh2
10-25-05, 09:33 AM
Not sure I have it working, I'm one of those people who disabled System restore in the name of performance...

System restore is your best friend, unless you enjoy installing os's.

Vagrant Zero
10-25-05, 01:00 PM
Bleh System Restore is crap. Just a cesspoll for viruses to hide in.

TB303
10-25-05, 01:16 PM
Bleh System Restore is crap. Just a cesspoll for viruses to hide in.

Decide already... ;-))

pingu2
10-25-05, 02:24 PM
if youre worried about the performance of system restore then enable it on your windows drive and turn it off on your virtual ram/programs/games/data drives..

Vagrant Zero
10-25-05, 02:37 PM
BTW to roll back creative drivers us Driver Cleaner [program you use to nuke your nvidia drivers].

Q
10-26-05, 01:18 PM
I work for the IT services department of my university. And even though I disliked system restore before working here, I absolutely HATE it now. Most college students have no idea how to prevent virus infection, much less use System Restore. Viruses lurk and lurk and lurk there, no matter how many scans in safe mode. You have to disable it when cleaning viruses if you want to fix the problem. When you temporarily disable it, you loose all the old saves and loose the whole reason that you were running it.

Also, it seems to never fully restore your system to where it was. You still have to end up fixing a handfull of issues after you restore, so it always seems to be more of a hassel than a help.

Get your computer just where you want it and Ghost the thing. That way you always have a 100% quick fix if something goes wrong.

Rakeesh
10-26-05, 02:11 PM
Ever since microsoft first created system restore, one of the first things I do after every fresh windows install is disable it. The whole concept is stupid IMO. If a driver really trashes your OS install, you won't be able to use system restore anyways.

TB303
10-27-05, 08:10 PM
Hi peeps,
I solved this, by doing a fresh install,

God how much I hate creative.
they are a monopoly and should be treated as such.

if EAX was an open spec we would real lcompetition like we have in the GPU arena.