PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a new gaming system

BlueScreen
10-24-05, 11:39 PM
Hi guys!

I'm buying a new system this week and i need your opinion.
I will use my computer for gaming (Doom3, Quake4, Fear, Half-Life 2, Need For Speed, etc) and i will also do programming (mostly Visual Studio .Net)
I have a budget of about $2000 Canadian.

Here is a list of what i am currently looking to buy at my local shot (www.shoplci.com)

AMD Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8N-SLI
Corsair 1024Mb DDR [400] TWINX1024-3200C2PRO
Western Digital 250Gb S-ATA2 [7200] 16Mb
Samsung 997MB 19in [FLAT] .20dp (H) 1920x1440@64Hz
Antec TPII-550 TruePower II [550W]
DVD Asus [Beige] 16X
Pioneer DVD+/-RW [Beige] DVR-110
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Creative Audigy 2 ZS

and this on www.TigerDirect.ca:
Premium 5511 Black
eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / PCI Express

All of this for $2140 CDN including tax and shipping.

The seller at my shop telled me to not buy the XFX 7800GT because it is overclocked and that after 2years the card just gonna burn. So he's offering me the Leadtek 7800GT at 100$ more than the XFX, but i don't feel like paying 100$ more for a card that perform less. Also the 7800GTX come clocked at 430mhz and the 7800GT is the same chip. So i wonder why he tell me that even the BFG 7800GT OC @ 425mhz will burn. In reality the chip isn't overclocked by 25mhz, it is downclocked by 5 mhz. Or did i miss something?

For the ram i'm paying 20$ more to have the "PRO" version that have activity LED's that i really don't care on the top of the stick, but i also don't really care about the 20$ more. Any recommendation on that?

I choose the 250gb hard drive only for the 16meg of cache. Is it worth the 40$ more than the 160gb with 8meg of cache ?

To anyone here that use the eVGA 7800GT, do you have any trouble with it and how does it perform compared to other 7800GT?

I like the desing of the case i choosed. I want a case that don't have a front door that i need to open each time i want to put a cd. I also want a case with a clear side. This case seemed to be the only one that suited my requirements but if you know other i might be interested.

Sorry for the long post, but it's going to be a big investment for me and i really want to get something i won't regreat. I'm not english so i'm sorry if i may sound weird at some time. If you need more info or clarification just let me know.

Thanks a lot!

mx125race
10-25-05, 12:14 AM
i think everything you've chosen will really work wonders for you especially in gaming and in the long-run. Don't listen to what that guy said, he just wants the money. You can even underclock it if you wanted too. Either way, that card sitll owns. If you leave it at its same speed or even overclock it more just have good cooling and it wont "burn" on you. (i.e. the nv silencer series)

if you are going to store a lot of stuff, then go with the larger HD. I myself have a pretty nice 120gb seagate hd, and i still have over half the space left with games like BF2, HF2 w/ CS:S, simcity, going to get fear and fable, and more.

Also, I'm getting that processor soon, so good luck to the both of us. Funny thing is, i may be switching to PCI(cuz im also buying a new motherboard with the cpu) and getting an eVGA 7800GT...

wshadow
10-25-05, 01:15 AM
the computer guy is LYING to you...get the cheaper card...dont get the Lights, that ram sucks for overclocking...

ViN86
10-25-05, 10:25 AM
Hi guys!

So i wonder why he tell me that even the BFG 7800GT OC @ 425mhz will burn. In reality the chip isn't overclocked by 25mhz, it is downclocked by 5 mhz. Or did i miss something?

yea hes lying to you. first off, BFG guarantees their cards at the speeds they set. second off, they have a lifetime warranty. so even if it does burn out, youre covered.

Ninjaman09
10-25-05, 10:37 AM
Yep, the guy is full of it. Get the BFG card.

As for the rest, awesome setup, you'll enjoy it. You might want to consider getting 2 gigs of RAM instead of 1, but that's up to you.

As for the CRT, I had one of those and it wasn't really that great. Poor pixel clarity, low brightness, and the geometry is all screwy. That's mostly because it's a shadow mask screen (i.e., not really flat). Get an aperture grill screen instead (aka Trinitron). Check out Newegg for some great deals on AG screens. Viewsonic and NEC make some very nice ones.

vert305
10-25-05, 11:51 AM
TRY LOOKING IN TO NEWEGG www.newegg.com .. they give cheaper prices then tigerdirect

ENU291
10-25-05, 12:12 PM
The seller at my shop telled me to not buy the XFX 7800GT because it is overclocked and that after 2years the card just gonna burn. So he's offering me the Leadtek 7800GT at 100$ more than the XFX, but i don't feel like paying 100$ more for a card that perform less. Also the 7800GTX come clocked at 430mhz and the 7800GT is the same chip. So i wonder why he tell me that even the BFG 7800GT OC @ 425mhz will burn. In reality the chip isn't overclocked by 25mhz, it is downclocked by 5 mhz. Or did i miss something?

For the ram i'm paying 20$ more to have the "PRO" version that have activity LED's that i really don't care on the top of the stick, but i also don't really care about the 20$ more. Any recommendation on that?

I choose the 250gb hard drive only for the 16meg of cache. Is it worth the 40$ more than the 160gb with 8meg of cache ?

To anyone here that use the eVGA 7800GT, do you have any trouble with it and how does it perform compared to other 7800GT?

I like the desing of the case i choosed. I want a case that don't have a front door that i need to open each time i want to put a cd. I also want a case with a clear side. This case seemed to Since be the only one that suited my requirements but if you know other i might be interested.

The seller sounds shady. If I were you I would not give him my business. First off the XFX 7800GT is a good card. This BS about it burning up in 2 years is a total lie. XFX has a warantee just like Leadtek so ignore what the seller is telling you. The 7800GT and the 7800GTX are not the same. The 7800GT has 4 pixel pipelines disabled and slower memory speeds but runs the core about 20MHZ faster. Since all the 7800 series cards are basically identical to the Nvidia reference design you should not worry about which brand is the best. They are all pretty much the same. Do not spend money on fancy memory with LEDs on it. It's a waste of money. Use the extra $20 toward something else. Definitely go with the 250GB hard drive. The more space the better. If you save the $20 on the memory then the hard drive is only $20 more then the 160GB model. The case you picked is fine. At the end your new PC should be KICK A$$!! Just be careful when dealing with suspect sellers... when in doubt come here and ask whatever questions you want. We are here to help! ;)

wheeljack12
10-25-05, 04:20 PM
he can't go with newegg, they still won't ship international. best stock I have seen in a store.

Aphot
10-25-05, 05:46 PM
Instead of the Creative Audigy 2 ZS get the Creative X-FI

BlueScreen
10-25-05, 06:54 PM
Thanks you guys for all the replys. I really apreaciate it.
I didn't have much time to reply today and i'm going to a show in 10 minutes so i'll post later.

I didn't knew the Creative X-FI, sound interesting so i'm checking that. I will use headphone most of the time so the sound quality isn't something i'm really looking. In fact i'm only buying a sound card to have better performance in games.
vert305, newegg don't ship to canada so it is not an option for me.

Got to go. I'll post more details later.

vert305
10-25-05, 07:42 PM
wow .. i didnt know that about NewEgg ...

CaptNKILL
10-25-05, 08:19 PM
I havent used an X-Fi personally, but from what I have heard they make headphones sound amazing. If thats what you use, you really should consider getting one.

BlueScreen
10-26-05, 12:29 AM
ok i'm back with a few questions again.

When i was talking to the guy at my shop about overclocked video cards, i told him that even if a BFG 7800GT die, i will have a life time waranty so it's not a big deal, but he's saying that BFG will find thousands of reason to not replace the card. What do you think about that ?

If i can safely go with an overclocked right out of the box card, here are my choice and i really can't make a decision about wich one should i get:

eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT with free COD2 PC Game and lifetime waranty
XFX GeForce 7800 GT Overclocked 450MHz with 2 years waranty
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO 470MHz with Free COD2 PC Game and lifetime waranty
BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC 425MHz with lifetime waranty

Thanks for the info about the monitor Ninjaman09, i will look for another one.

One thing i forgot to mention is that i'm planning to do a raid 0 setup. Maybe around christmas. I wanted to get 2x 160gb and that will be enough space for a long time. I choosed the 250gb only because it has 16meg of cache, but i don't feel the need to have a half terabyte. Does the extra 8meg of cache will improve performance or am i just wasting money ?

Finaly, i also plan to have 2gb of ram, but i can live with "only" 1gb for now. The question is should i go for 4x 512mb or 2x 1gb and still have 2 slot free for future upgrade ? I think i have read somewhere that 2gb in 64bit is equivalent of 1gb in 32bit because everything in memory is represented on 64bit. If so i think i might consider to buy stick of 1 gb.

For for your info i'm not planning to overclock a lot or at all so overclocking isn't something i really check. I know that the corsair i choosed isn't a great overclocker but that isn't a problem for me.

I think that's enough for now.
Thanks for your time guys, it is much apreciated.

nIghtorius
10-26-05, 03:05 AM
Finaly, i also plan to have 2gb of ram, but i can live with "only" 1gb for now. The question is should i go for 4x 512mb or 2x 1gb and still have 2 slot free for future upgrade ? I think i have read somewhere that 2gb in 64bit is equivalent of 1gb in 32bit because everything in memory is represented on 64bit. If so i think i might consider to buy stick of 1 gb.

About the thing in 64-bits being twice the size as in 32-bits.. It's wrong.. If you going to use a 32-bits Windows XP everything will be same as with 32-bits processors. Not taking twice as much memory.. Even if you did install a 64-bits version of it.. most memory usage comes from storing DATA in the memory and not from APPLICATIONS. and DATA comes in varieties (8, 16, 32, 64, 128 and even 256 bits and higher)..

example:
if a 32-bits version of a game needs 660MB to run. a true 64-bits version might need 700MB to run instead of 1320MB. gett'n my point?

If I was you I should go for the 2x 1GB option.. especially with Athlon64's. They allow you to run tighter command timings offering you great memory bandwidth. (I should know.. having 4x 512MB and a processor refusing to run 1T CMD and even refusing to run at DDR400 (runs DDR333 instead))

as for graphicscard:
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO 470MHz with Free COD2 PC Game and lifetime warranty

sounds the best deal to me.. High core-speed and LIFETIME WARRANTY.. you can't go wrong with this one.

BlueScreen
10-26-05, 10:24 PM
ok thanks for your input guys.

I've found one hell of a deal for the ram at www.NCIX.com
OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Pin Dual Channel Memory Kit /W Ramsink @ 303$ CAN.

I've also found the Creative X-FI at 70$ than the Audigy2 ZS but i feel like i don't need the X-FI cause the sound quality isn't something very important for me. I think the ZS should be enough.

I still haven't find any monitor that have an aperture grill screen, and support at least 1600x1200@75Hz. I'm calling your help on this one.

I was reading about the Saitek Eclipse keyboard. It is very expensive (65$ compare to 15$ for the MS Internet KB) but i don't know... i like it. I will play often in the dark so the backlight is something i find usefull.

Here's an updated list of my future rig:

AMD Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8N-SLI
OCZ EL Platinum 2048Mb DDR [400] CL2-3-2-5
* a monitor... *
DVD Asus [Beige] 16X
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Premium 5511 Black
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO 470MHz

oh and anyone know the difference between the 3 A8N-SLI (except that the cheap one only have 4 S-ATA compared to the other, and that the premium have a Cool-Pipe) ?

Peoples-Agent
10-27-05, 02:08 AM
Personally, I would suggest a good decent CRT monitor instead, use the money you save on that to buy two 1GB sticks of ram, not even kidding here....
You will soon get fed up with BF2 and FEAR for eg without 2GB of ram.
Infact, it's an essential purchase now if they are the kind of games your looking to play, sad but true.

Big myth about CRT monitors, you can get nice flatscreen ones that do high resolutions and have a crisp picture ....more desktop space, but alot of them have the TFT feel and IQ just aren't as expensive... but that's upto you.
Then invest in two 1GB sticks of ram, don't make the same mistake as I did and buy two 512s only to end up selling them 2 mths down the line when your forever growing sick of BF2 lol

- D -

remymarten
10-27-05, 02:55 AM
NEC makes great apeture grill CRT's. They come in 19 & 20 inch sizes.

BlueScreen
11-05-05, 12:16 AM
Ok i've pass the order today.
Here is what I bought.

AMD Athlon64 3700+
Asus A8N-SLI
OCZ EL Platinum 2048Mb DDR [400] CL2-3-2-5
Audigy 2 ZS
** eVGA 7800GT CO ** :super:
DVD Asus [Beige] 16X
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Saitek Eclipse Gaming Keyboard
Premium 5511 Case at TigerDirect (Don't know who make this case...)
ViewSonic G90FB

A friend of mine bought almost the same system as me so when we will get the stock we will try putting 4gb of ram and 2x 7800GT in my computer just for fun :)

I will try to give you some numbers if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all your input guys!

keith33
11-05-05, 12:49 AM
Very nice system, post pics when you have it built.

wrugoin
11-07-05, 04:09 PM
Go with the eVGA 7800GT CO. That computer guy is full of *****

lamarodom007
11-07-05, 05:42 PM
Is that 3700+ San Diego core?

BlueScreen
11-07-05, 05:54 PM
wrugoin: That's exactly what I did.

lamarodom007: It is the Socket 939 one so i assume it is 2.2Ghz with 1mb cache so it must be the San Diego.