PDA

View Full Version : I picked up an S-Video connector for my Gamecube tonight

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
10-25-05, 01:11 AM
Holy mother of God, the picture is INCREDIBLE! That RF Adapter is such a piece of sh!t it's not even funny.

The colors were so crisp and vibrant, and I was actually able to see that the GC DOES have some horsepower behind it. Through the RF adapter, it didn't look any better than a PS1. Everything was flat and low-res, not to mention staticy as hell.

This was a good $15 investment, even if I don't play the Cube all that much, when I do in the future, it'll be MUCH prettier. :)

Roliath
10-25-05, 01:13 AM
Yeah, tell me about it.
I have my PS2 connected via component cable and OMG..
It's seriously like night and day...

And I have some component cable and fiber optic (for sound) coming in next week. I can't freaking wait.

Actually come to think about it when i had my GC it was connected via component as is my Xbox, aswell as my computer to my TV.

Monster Component Cables freaking rock! :D

GamerGuyX
10-25-05, 01:23 AM
Holy mother of God, the picture is INCREDIBLE! That RF Adapter is such a piece of sh!t it's not even funny.

The colors were so crisp and vibrant, and I was actually able to see that the GC DOES have some horsepower behind it. Through the RF adapter, it didn't look any better than a PS1. Everything was flat and low-res, not to mention staticy as hell.

This was a good $15 investment, even if I don't play the Cube all that much, when I do in the future, it'll be MUCH prettier. :)

Just wait till you play with component cables in progressive scan after getting your HDTV professionally ISF calibrated. ;) Not THATS an improvement. :D

superklye
10-25-05, 01:23 AM
I can't do component because my Cube doesn't have digital out...just analogue. :(

GamerGuyX
10-25-05, 01:24 AM
I can't do component because my Cube doesn't have digital out...just analogue. :(

You can call Nintendo and they will add it. :cool:

stncttr908
10-25-05, 01:31 AM
I'm just confused that someone plays a Gamecube. :D

<ducks>

GamerGuyX
10-25-05, 01:35 AM
I'm just confused that someone plays a Gamecube. :D

<ducks>

jonk would of tossed his fruit loops if he heard you say that. :angel:

Mr. Hunt
10-25-05, 01:51 AM
Wow... people still play with RF switches and crap? :\

marqmajere
10-25-05, 02:26 AM

Not everyone has the money to spend on every little piece of hardware.

|MaguS|
10-25-05, 02:34 AM
Not everyone has the money to spend on every little piece of hardware.

Yeah but AV inputs on TVs have been standard for over five years now, heck he must own a VCR atleast...

jAkUp
10-25-05, 02:37 AM
Yea the analouge is terrible quality. Svideo/composite is much better... Component is even better :D

msxyz
10-25-05, 03:52 AM
S-Video is still analogue. With S-Video/Composite you just bypass the RF-Tuner injecting the video signal free of its carrier.

The root of the problem is however, the poor quality of the 60 years old NTSC signal format. When I travel to countries using the NTSC standard I'm always amazed to see the big difference in quality between PAL and NTSC images.

superklye
10-25-05, 08:21 AM
When I bought it, that was all it came with. For the very little I played it (until I picked up LOTR: The Third Age) it was fine, but after I got that game it just wasn't acceptable. I don't have a car and Best Buy was the cheapest (because I had Reward Zone certificates and you can only use those in-store) and last night was the soonest I could get there in the last month or so.

superklye
10-25-05, 08:22 AM
You can call Nintendo and they will add it. :cool:
How? Will they just give me a new Cube? It doesn't seem like adding a digital-out connection would be a quick and easy addition.

|MaguS|
10-25-05, 10:15 AM
Nintendo no longer supports component or HD, They were removed in the current models, only the original models of the cube support it. Glad my Plat supports it or I wouldn't be owning a cube. :o

Knot3D
10-25-05, 10:52 AM
PAL60 + RGB cable = :cool:

I have RGB cables for both PS2 and Xbox years already...

Never imagined ppl still even use RF :confused:

superklye
10-25-05, 12:06 PM
PAL60 + RGB cable = :cool:

I have RGB cables for both PS2 and Xbox years already...

Never imagined ppl still even use RF :confused:
Like I said: that's what it came with. My Dreamcast and my brother's PS2 and pretty much every other gaming system I've ever seen taken out of the box came with an RCA connector, so, since the GC didn't, I assumed they didn't support it.

I just found out like 10 days ago that I actually COULD use RCA/S-Video.

Roliath
10-25-05, 12:47 PM
If you guys really want to experience great picture and sound quality get, and have a nice home theatre setup get some of these for your PS2 Component Video & Fiber Optic Audio (http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/ps2/productPagePS2.asp?pin=1450)
I just recieved mine this morning, and omg the sound quality blew me away!!!
I have a 7.1 System in my room, consisting of a Harman Kardon Reciever and Infinity Surround Sound. It is amazing...

superklye
10-25-05, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I've got the home theater working with GC. ProLogic II is great. :)

Vagrant Zero
10-25-05, 01:02 PM
Psh S-Video, my Component inputs laugh at thee good sir. They doth laugh.

Edge
10-25-05, 01:25 PM
Svideo is a nice upgrade (especilly from RF!), but component offers MUCH nicer quality, especially since it allows for progressive scan on an ED/HDTV. Unfortunately, the Gamecube component cables are over 1/3rd of the price of the Gamecube itself, and don't offer HD resolution support like other consoles. Wonder why there aren't any 3rd party cables for the console...I got a PS2/Xbox Component cable for $10. Too bad, I'd love to see Metroid Prime and F-zero GX in progressive scan.

How? Will they just give me a new Cube? It doesn't seem like adding a digital-out connection would be a quick and easy addition.
Assuming it's the same as when they first sold the digitalout-less consoles, you can call them and they'll offer to let you exchange your Gamecube for one that has a digital-out port. The only catch is that the Gamecube they'd give you would be a referbished model.

superklye
10-25-05, 01:50 PM
Svideo is a nice upgrade (especilly from RF!), but component offers MUCH nicer quality, especially since it allows for progressive scan on an ED/HDTV. Unfortunately, the Gamecube component cables are over 1/3rd of the price of the Gamecube itself, and don't offer HD resolution support like other consoles. Wonder why there aren't any 3rd party cables for the console...I got a PS2/Xbox Component cable for $10. Too bad, I'd love to see Metroid Prime and F-zero GX in progressive scan.

Assuming it's the same as when they first sold the digitalout-less consoles, you can call them and they'll offer to let you exchange your Gamecube for one that has a digital-out port. The only catch is that the Gamecube they'd give you would be a referbished model.
Meh, it's not worth it. The limited gaming I do on it looks spectacular through S-Video and my DVD player is already plugged into the component cable inputs.

GamerGuyX
10-25-05, 03:16 PM

You can call Nintendo and tell them you want the component output. You then send it to them and they either give you a Gamecube with the output or they add it to the one you sent. I haven't done it myself but I've heard of many people doing it.

Slybri
10-30-05, 05:26 PM
I think mine's already got the outout. It's the silver one. Where do I get the cables for it?

GamerGuyX
10-30-05, 05:43 PM
I think mine's already got the outout. It's the silver one. Where do I get the cables for it?

Which cables are you referring to? Component or S-Video?