PDA

View Full Version : Weird Hardware Argument

Lfctony
10-25-05, 05:36 AM
Ok, during a discussion in another forum regarding game engines and hardware capabilities , another person responded with the following:

I think what you do not understand is that the technology on each gpu is the software(even the number of transistors depends on software).
That s is why the 7800gt gpu is clocked way slower than an x850xtpe.In general the hardware potentials are unlimited,what is old , and holding back is the architecture(software).

Now, I strongly disagree with his view, I don't even think it makes sense, but I stopped arguing because we were getting nowhere. What do my fellow gamers think about this?

Subtestube
10-25-05, 06:02 AM
I'm not actually sure what this chap means. How on earth could the number of transistors depend on software? That's nonsense, and suggests to me that the guy either doesn't understand what a transistor is, or what software is. In other words, it sounds to me like there's a semantic break here - he doesn't know the meanings of some of the words he's using.

Aside from that, no hardware has unlimited potential. Even assuming an optimal architecture for a given task (assuming one exists), you still ultimately face problems of signal leakage, maximum voltage, etc...

Reaper106
10-25-05, 07:59 AM
Hmm, so that is how NVIDIA gets speed increases in their driver updates. They just slap in some more transistors. Those guys are pretty sneaky:rofl

saturnotaku
10-25-05, 08:19 AM
What do my fellow gamers think about this?

That that guy should stop sniffing glue as it appears to be causing some severe damage to his cerebral cortex.

seeker010
10-25-05, 11:03 AM
That that guy should stop sniffing glue as it appears to be causing some severe damage to his cerebral cortex.
if he had one....

darkrider01
10-25-05, 12:53 PM
Sounds like the same guy that cut his 7800GTX to fit in his PCI slot....... I'm thinking that he skipped glue and went straight to smoking crack. He thinks he's in the matrix or something. Sounds like a middle school or HIGHschool kid stringing together terms he heard the day before on G4TV or something.:rolleyes:

cuz you know, megahertz is all theoretical and %@#$

P.S. Thanks for the laugh!!

rohit
10-25-05, 04:58 PM
The refrences that guy made are non-sense.
But taking the whole of it, the SW is limiting the HW capabilities to some extent.
I read it somewhere (cant remember, i think xbit), something with developers on coding etc. they are much slower than the HW development.

in an interview with some nv guy, he said... there is no point in adding speed, features etc that are planned for future products in current gen products. These features will remain useless, since there is no code to exploit 'em. in the right time, we will include 'em.