PDA

View Full Version : V-sync tearing

DJMONDY
10-25-05, 07:12 AM
Both quake 4 and doom 3 tear realy badly and ive tried all different settings but notihing seems to work.

V-sync turned on in game and nvidia control panel its not so bad but it still tears.

No other games seem to do this only the doom 3 engine?

Im running it @ 1600-1200

Any ideas

|MaguS|
10-25-05, 07:16 AM
Whats your refresh rate at 1600x1200?

DJMONDY
10-25-05, 07:42 AM
On my desktop its set @ 100hz

I havnt forced any refresh rates so im not sure what it is in the game. Im assuming its the same?:confused:

Its not that it does it during game play areas (not noticably anyway) its during cinematic areas like at the begining when you see the bodies floating.

I also get a kind of slight jump every other second or so. its only minor but its there.

Ghosthunter
10-25-05, 09:12 AM
I have the same thing as well, and really irritates me, I get it during game play though, both single player and multi

I am using 81.85 drivers and tried 1024x768, 1280x0124 and 1600x1200 and they all do it

my monitor is set to 85 hz

|MaguS|
10-25-05, 09:16 AM
Actually, Im pretty sure that the DOOM3 engine by default picks 60hz as the refresh rate, no matter what resolution.

Ninjaman09
10-25-05, 09:17 AM
On my desktop its set @ 100hz

I havnt forced any refresh rates so im not sure what it is in the game. Im assuming its the same?:confused:

Its not that it does it during game play areas (not noticably anyway) its during cinematic areas like at the begining when you see the bodies floating.

I also get a kind of slight jump every other second or so. its only minor but its there.
If you haven't forced refresh rates then it's 60hz in game, which would produce significant tearing. Use RefreshForce (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/) to force specific refresh rates for the different resolutions you use. It's very effective and bug-free (it does a simply registry tweak). You only have to run it once per driver install and it doesn't run in the background or anything. Hell, you can leave it in the zip file. ;)

Ghosthunter
10-25-05, 09:30 AM
If you haven't forced refresh rates then it's 60hz in game, which would produce significant tearing. Use RefreshForce (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/) to force specific refresh rates for the different resolutions you use. It's very effective and bug-free (it's does a simply registry tweak). You only have to run it once per driver install and it doesn't run in the background or anything. Hell, you can leave it in the zip file. ;)

Cool I will try that when I get home thanks

DJMONDY
10-25-05, 09:44 AM
If you haven't forced refresh rates then it's 60hz in game, which would produce significant tearing. Use RefreshForce (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/) to force specific refresh rates for the different resolutions you use. It's very effective and bug-free (it's does a simply registry tweak). You only have to run it once per driver install and it doesn't run in the background or anything. Hell, you can leave it in the zip file. ;)

Many thanks, i'll give it a go as soon as i get home :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shall i set it so its the highest refresh for 1600-1200 on my monitor which would be 100hz??

Can you set custom resolutions with it? I would like to try quake 4 on my new hdtv and its 1366-768 i think

Ninjaman09
10-25-05, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure if it supports custom resolutions. But yes if your monitor supports it set the highest rate you can. BTW the program will automatically detect the highest rate your monitor supports but that will not always be desirable; 100hz is really the highest you should go, otherwise you can cause your monitor's lifespan to shorten.

DJMONDY
10-25-05, 09:56 AM
Thanks Ninjaman09 :thumbsup:

I'll post here later and let you know how i got on :)

DJMONDY
10-25-05, 12:17 PM
Hia Ninjaman09, it worked like a dream. thanks mate:thumbsup:

For anyone who's trying this out you have to have v-sync turned on in both your nvidia control panel and in the game settings. :)

Im still getting that split second jump every now and then but as i said its seems to be only during cinematic scenes so its not so bad. is anyone else getting this or know how to cure it?

Ninjaman09
10-25-05, 12:20 PM
Sweet, glad to hear it worked. RefreshForce really is cool :D