PDA

View Full Version : Whoops! Or, I'm stupid.

Ninjaman09
10-25-05, 10:19 AM
Well it looks like SLi does kick ass after all. FEAR apparently benefits hugely from it and so does Quake 4. I'm annoyed that I dropped it so quickly and sent my card back. However, there is something great about it. When I originally purchased my second 7800GTX it cost me $549. That same card is now priced at $479. That is less than what I recieved for my RMA refund (which was just shy of $500). In other words, I'm going to have the same card for about $20 less. I'm very pleased with this. Anyway I'm going to be back in the SLi game tomorrow (ordered overnight shipping as I am impatient). I thought your SLi guys would be pleased to hear about my return.

OWA
10-25-05, 10:48 AM
:jumping:

Redeemed
10-25-05, 10:57 AM
While you're at it, get me a GT would ya'? :D :D ;)

I don't know, I'm gonna' wait till M2 and Vista are here before I go with a dual vcard rig.

By that time, CrossFire MIGHT actually be an option- and possibly a WORTHY one. Then again, with Vista G80 and R6xx are probably the beast GPUs everybody has been waiting for- so I imagine I'll have two G8X's or two R6XX's in my next rig.

Reaper106
10-25-05, 11:04 AM
Congrats, I am going to be ordering my 2nd EVGA 7800GTX next week at the latest. I cant wait to get some SLI goodness going in my new rig. I just hope the PS is up to the task. I ordered it with a ULTRA X-Connect 500W. The reviews say that it handles SLI great. However I guess some peeps have had failure problems. I guess if I do, I will go back to Antec 550W. Enjoy :D

Ninjaman09
10-25-05, 11:06 AM
Yeah I can't wait to get it hooked back up. FEAR runs fine now but if I turn on AA it really drops and I want that back - also Quake 4 runs much better than I thought it would and I'll bet that with 4xAA would run great too. So yeah, I'm all excited now. :D

superklye
10-25-05, 11:18 AM
Welcome back to the dark side...muahahaha

Ninjaman09
10-25-05, 11:23 AM
Looking forward to picking up CoD2, looks like it's been well optimized now that it's released if IGN's review is at all accurate.

Redeemed
10-25-05, 11:31 AM
I'm building a rig for my mom. She doesn't game, but my sister does- so I'm trying to make my mom's new rig capable of gaming (not high end, but atleast capable of playing games 2 years from now). I was originally thinking of getting a 6800GT for her rig, but should I go with a 7800GT instead? I'll probably drop the X2 3800 in it aswell with a gig of ram.

What do you guys recommend? And no, SLi is NOT an option for her.

CaptNKILL
10-25-05, 12:02 PM
7800GT and an X2 3800 sounds good to me... the CPU might be a bottleneck for non-multithreaded games, but thatl deffinitely be a screaming system :)

Reaper106
10-25-05, 12:55 PM
7800GT and an X2 3800 sounds good to me... the CPU might be a bottleneck for non-multithreaded games, but thatl deffinitely be a screaming system :)
I am thinking that as time passes, the 3800+ will start showing it's gaming muscle more and more as games become multithreaded capable. For now its a good solid CPU with unlocked gaming potential:)

Tr1cK
10-25-05, 01:24 PM
If you think the x2 3800 is weak, mine does 2.4ghz @ 1.3v. Thats .5 undervolt completely stable. I've had it at 2.6 @ 1.4, but I really like running a cooler quieter system. If I had water cooling...ZOMG!!1!

FraGTastiK
10-25-05, 01:50 PM
Well it looks like SLi does kick ass after all. FEAR apparently benefits hugely from it and so does Quake 4. I'm annoyed that I dropped it so quickly and sent my card back. However, there is something great about it. When I originally purchased my second 7800GTX it cost me $549. That same card is now priced at $479. That is less than what I recieved for my RMA refund (which was just shy of $500). In other words, I'm going to have the same card for about $20 less. I'm very pleased with this. Anyway I'm going to be back in the SLi game tomorrow (ordered overnight shipping as I am impatient). I thought your SLi guys would be pleased to hear about my return.

welcome back! :angel:

you might also want to up your gaming res capibility.you can play both FEAR and Quake 4 at 1600x1200 with SLi just fine so there would be a little waste of GPU power playing lower than that res.btw I know you hate CRTs

Ninjaman09
10-25-05, 02:46 PM
you might also want to up your gaming res capibility.you can play both FEAR and Quake 4 at 1600x1200 with SLi just fine so there would be a little waste of GPU power playing lower than that res.btw I know you hate CRTs
No no no. I LOVE CRTs. I would prefer to use one. However that is not possible in my apartment - for some reason or another, any CRT monitor that I use in the apartment, ANYWHERE in the apartment, flickers, shakes, and gets magnet burns immediately upon turning it on. One monitor I was using literally died after being on for only minutes. I have tried all sorts of line conditioners and alternative power supplies to no effect. It seems there is an abnormally strong EM field where I live, most likely in the rather large power lines directly outside my building. :(

I'm looking very enthusiastically at the new 8ms 21.3" LCD panels that will be available soon. I may be picking one of those up in the near future.

Lazaredz
10-25-05, 02:48 PM
I hate all of you .... but in a good way ;)

/mumbles "stupid AGP, no 7800, non-SLI motherboard" ....

/shakes fist at motherboard

:(

FraGTastiK
10-25-05, 04:08 PM
No no no. I LOVE CRTs. I would prefer to use one. However that is not possible in my apartment - for some reason or another, any CRT monitor that I use in the apartment, ANYWHERE in the apartment, flickers, shakes, and gets magnet burns immediately upon turning it on. One monitor I was using literally died after being on for only minutes. I have tried all sorts of line conditioners and alternative power supplies to no effect. It seems there is an abnormally strong EM field where I live, most likely in the rather large power lines directly outside my building. :(

I'm looking very enthusiastically at the new 8ms 21.3" LCD panels that will be available soon. I may be picking one of those up in the near future.

oh I got it wrong then.damn EMF,I've seen its effect on my friend's CRT,it was awful.Initially I thought he had a low refresh rate but then I found out it was the EMF to blame.its just like having a X8xx crossfire setup and playing games at 60Hz ripping your eyes out. :D

slick
10-25-05, 04:17 PM

That sounds unhealthy. :eek:

Redeemed
10-25-05, 07:55 PM
Cool. The mobo of choice would be the MSI K8N Neo4. Anything about this board I should be warned about?

Thanks for the feedback (and I apologize for the slight hi-jack :( :( ).

Ninjaman09
10-26-05, 10:02 AM
oh I got it wrong then.damn EMF,I've seen its effect on my friend's CRT,it was awful.Initially I thought he had a low refresh rate but then I found out it was the EMF to blame.its just like having a X8xx crossfire setup and playing games at 60Hz ripping your eyes out. :D
Exactly, it blows.

On a related topic I've noticed that the Dell 2405FPW can be had for $775. To say the least I am tempted.

Strahd
10-26-05, 10:55 AM
Exactly, it blows.

On a related topic I've noticed that the Dell 2405FPW can be had for $775. To say the least I am tempted.

I got mine for 780 shipped Ninja and the monitor rocks. I highly recommend it :)

Ninjaman09
10-26-05, 11:11 AM
Well...I'm gonna wait on that monitor. Can't really justify the expense at the moment as I have other things coming up I need to take care of, and I feel that I've spent plenty already on my system. Maybe next time a coupon code comes up.

Just out of curiosity how is the ghosting on it? I've heard mixed things about its pixel response performance.