PDA

View Full Version : WTF FEAR Bug??? Hard lock on closing

holdenb
10-25-05, 10:33 AM
Right.....I thought this problem was due to an aging installation so I've just reformatted......

I am using 81.85 official FW
6.66 chipset drivers
X-fi fatality with latest drivers and only game installed is FEAR (v1.01).....

When i launch fear i get stuttering of the vision and sound during the developer screens and on the menu screen...
Gameplay appears OK except for the big stutters everyone seems to be getting (possibly related to my 1gb RAM)

Then when I quit the game my desktop looks a bit brighter and i cannot select anything on it......double clicking then makes it all lock up meaning i have to re-set..

Anyone else having this problem??? Where should i start to trouble shoot it???? Is is related to the game or one of my drivers??

Regards

now........when i tried to launch the game is says it cannot find the disc in the drive (i have a valid copy........)

verncat
10-25-05, 05:17 PM
I thought I was the only one! I have the exact same problem, from the system in my sig. I haven't figured out any way to fix it yet, though. It really sucks to have to do a hard reset on my rig every time I quit playing that game!

edit: I only get the hard lock up when quitting the game, I have no other issues with it, however.

Shawn

TierMann
10-25-05, 05:25 PM
Looks like you're both running 2 XFX 7800GTX's. Are you both playing with SLI enabled and which drivers are you using, Verncat?
What OS are you running, Holdenb?

And Holdenb, your stuttering is probably related to the 1gb of ram like you said. I even start paging now and then with 2gb's, but not often. When those levels load up I can watch my ram meter hit about 80% most of the time.

jAkUp
10-25-05, 05:37 PM
I have a very similar rig to verncat, except I am not having any freezing issues...

are you both using the 82.85 drivers? Do you both have the latest Fear patch installed?

holdenb
10-25-05, 05:43 PM
I thought I was the only one! I have the exact same problem, from the system in my sig. I haven't figured out any way to fix it yet, though. It really sucks to have to do a hard reset on my rig every time I quit playing that game!

edit: I only get the hard lock up when quitting the game, I have no other issues with it, however.

Shawn

Well......i've just had to re-install again........

somehow I quit FEAR and my install got corrupted, my SLI was not recognised :( :(

For further info I have the 81.85 drivers, my FEAR is patched to 1.01 and my OS is XP-home (fully updated)

It does seem odd that both of us have XFX SLI........surely that cannot be the problem??

I tried some old drivers....the was no hard lock after closing with the 78.01 but i still got the title screen stuttering...

until some new forceware are out i'm not gonna play this game........I don't like to have to reformat on a daily basis.............

verncat
10-25-05, 07:10 PM
I'm using the 81.85's, XP Home with all sp's and updates, game patched to 1.01. Hmmm, can't imagine this being just an XFX 7800gtx in SLI mode problem, but stranger things have been known to occur! And yes, jakUp, we have similar rigs, even down to the mouse (love it, btw)! Wonder why my rig locks up on exit? I'm not at home to try out some different drivers, although I'm not sure I would try older ones, since this is the only issue I have with all of the games I play.

Shawn

macatak
10-25-05, 07:31 PM
Seems to be a few having the same problem.....

http://forums.vugames.com/thread.jspa?threadID=7682&tstart=50

OWA
10-25-05, 08:06 PM
I had that issue initially and had to return my system to stock settings (system and video cards) or else it would hard-lock on exit every time. It appears that the overclocking I was doing had an adverse affect on their copy protection. I'm just guessing that is what is happening but I really don't know for sure. I only say that because after I started using the no-dvd patch, things have been fine, even with my system overclocked. I recently wiped my system clean and I guess I could try it without the no-dvd patch to see if that is still the case. If not, maybe there was something else going on with my system. If you've reinstalled the OS/game and are at stock settings for your system and video cards, then I doubt what helped me will help you.

Anyway, I'd try returning to stock settings across the board first and/or the no-dvd patch (at your own risk, of course). I really hate to be bringing that up but I was getting really frustrated with the game until I found this solution.

aAv7
10-25-05, 08:07 PM
i have the same problem, glad its not just me....got a bit freaked that the new card might of had a problem, hasnt done it in any other games. Only fear. no sli here, just one 7800gtx. Probably the drivers, im using the 81.85's too.

TierMann
10-25-05, 08:07 PM

That's interesting. Looks like it's happening with AthlonXP's too, not just 64's and also with single cards 6800 and 7800 or sli'd of each. That one person had luck with using a no-cd fix so maybe it could actually be securom. I've been using a no-cd fix since I got the game, and I'm not running XP Home either, so there's a couple things that are different.

Edit: I just saw that OWA is using XP ProSP2.

OWA
10-25-05, 08:09 PM
Oh, btw, I'm using the 81.85s.

Edit: Even though the no-dvd patch helped me initially, it appears it wasn't b/c of the copy protection but something else with my system. Now, on a fresh install, I just tried use the regular executable and DVD and when exiting, it was fine. Another difference in my system now compared to earlier when it helped, is that I haven't gotten around to installing the AMD CPU driver yet or the Microsoft dual-core hotfix.

holdenb
10-26-05, 05:06 AM

Interesting......

I bet there is some problem with the in-built SLI support and the 81.85 driver set........

I don't think this is an overclocking issue as I have tried at stock with no change......(and my system is rock solid memtest/prime/superpi etc stable for 24hrs +!!!)

I will not be re-installing FEAR until a new driver set comes out :(

holdenb
10-26-05, 10:48 AM
Interestingly......

I have just installed UT2004....

when i closed that down i got the same hard lock........It must just be a driver issue....I don't like this 81.85 set at all

TierMann
10-26-05, 04:29 PM
Anyone using XP64-bit and getting these lockups or getting this with anything other than 81.85 drivers? I'm running 64 with 78.03 and just figured I'd try the game without the DVD fix so I reinstalled it and installed the 1.01 patch and still no problems so far. Also did anyone else notice that the menu screens seem to take an IQ hit with the no-cd/dvd fix (jaggy text and slightly lower res backgrounds)? I thought the menus looked like crap but turns out they look great without the fix.

Despotes
10-29-05, 10:29 AM
FEAR kept locking up my system upon exiting the game after I installed my 2nd 7800GTX to be used in SLI.
I reinstalled the 81.87 drivers and the game itself(over half way through:( )
AND didn't install the 1.01 patch.
It worked. No more lock ups when leaving the game.

Despotes
10-29-05, 02:19 PM
During fps testing today I installed patch 1.01 and my fps increased a bit with every option chosen. Also, with the patch it now renders in a different SLI mode now.
I had the Global Preferences set to AFR 2 with the tests without and with 1.01 patch. Without the patch I got the typical horizontal green bar, BUT with the patch--and not changing anything in the Global Preferences--it now displays the vertical bar which indicates SFR.
It would seem that the patch overrides the Global Preference rendering mode and forces the use of SFR which does give better performance.
Unfortunately my system locked up after exiting the game, but I did set my resolution to 1920X1200 and I enabled Read Only for that file so the game would keep the setting.
After I changed back to 1600X1200 and disabled Read Only my Exiting Freeze Up issue went away...for now at least.

holdenb
10-29-05, 04:09 PM
During fps testing today I installed patch 1.01 and my fps increased a bit with every option chosen. Also, with the patch it now renders in a different SLI mode now.
I had the Global Preferences set to AFR 2 with the tests without and with 1.01 patch. Without the patch I got the typical horizontal green bar, BUT with the patch--and not changing anything in the Global Preferences--it now displays the vertical bar which indicates SFR.
It would seem that the patch overrides the Global Preference rendering mode and forces the use of SFR which does give better performance.
Unfortunately my system locked up after exiting the game, but I did set my resolution to 1920X1200 and I enabled Read Only for that file so the game would keep the setting.
After I changed back to 1600X1200 and disabled Read Only my Exiting Freeze Up issue went away...for now at least.

*off topic*

what does 1600x1200 look like on that monitor??? I am thinking of getting one but was a bit concerned that the native res might be asking a bit much for my rig....

Despotes
10-29-05, 09:36 PM
I don't even notice the difference in game. It's somewhat noticeable in the menu though.

Despotes
11-19-05, 11:36 AM
The problem has returned! Yes, it's been a while since I played.
I tried the 1.02 patch and 6.7 system drivers, but it still freezes on exit.
CTRL-ALT-DEL is the only way to go.

Slyder
11-19-05, 03:00 PM
Never had this problem running the 1.02 patch. :)

Linky Linky (http://www.vugames.com/downloadfile.do?gamePlatformId=1833&mediaid=15868)

I do recall it did hard lock the exact same way on mine once when patched to only 1.01.