PDA

View Full Version : Classic Problem (new system) comments?

RobHague
10-25-05, 07:49 PM
Warning - This post is a bit long-winded. :p

I recentley parted with my beloved PowerMac :o :sry:. So ive been out of the PC loop for a little bit, i didnt get rid of my Mac to get a PC btw - It just sort of happened this way. While pricing up my 'upgraded' G5 i happened to see what PC i could build for simular money (big mistake that was :P). Then after seeing some upcoming games well... you know i got swayed back towards the glamor of the PC. :D

Anyhow you dont need my life story for this, point is im in the middle of parting together a new system. As much as im not that huge a fan of Windows anymore (after using OSX, not to start any flaming here but its true :P) the one thing im sure of is that i can build a pretty cool system for the money - in terms of specs.

Right, well this is where im wondering which route to go. So a classic battle of - Intels Pentium D Dual Core's or AMD's Athlon 64 X2. I'm thinking also, future potential for upgrades. The Intel system uses DDR2, where as the AMD systems still use DDR. I also have heard AMD are planning on moving to DDR2 at some point in the future.

Now while DDR2 might not be 'required' if i buy 2GB of DDR400, chances are that next AMD CPU upgrade im going to want DDR2 and so a new mainboard, and new RAM. Where as Intel have already made the jump so hopefully i can just chuck in the new CPU.. less hassle and money (maybe).

However i dont want to cut my noise off to spite my face, so dispite my initial 'interest' to go Intel this time round, i cant ignore Benchmarks and such.

This is the system ive put together (virtually - ordering it today - or sometime today)...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Retail)
Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2 (MY-
BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI
DELL Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Antec P180 Advanced Super Midi Tower Case
Tagan TG530-U15 530W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU

Plextor PX-716AL Dual Layer Slot Loading 16x4x DVD±RW ReWriter
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 NCQ 300GB ST3300831AS SATA 8MB Cache
Logitech Cordless G7 Gaming-Grade Laser Mouse
Logitech Ultra-X Keyboard

My other option would be to go either for two 7800 GT's and SLI them (thats GT not GTX) or the new Radeon X1800 XL from ATi (oops just realised what the forum is called lol, nevermind ;) ). I'm thinking in terms of Price v Performance here as well as just wanting power. If the 7800 GT would give me better performance for simular money to the 7800 GTX then obviously id go for that - Same for the X1800 XL, if it gave me simular performance to the GT/GTX then a Crossfire setup might be more worthwhile (currently the X1800 XL ive looked at works out about £80 cheaper at least than the 7800 GTX).

With regards to the above system - the other option would be...

Intel Pentium 4 830 Dual Core "LGA775 Smithfield" 3.0GHz (800FSB) - Retail
Asus P5ND2 SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400 TwinX (2x1GB)

This works out slightley cheaper. The P4 830 is £240, the 4400+ is £375. I could get the P4 840 3.2Ghz for £399 which is probably more of a fair comparison i guess.

Can someone point me to some reliable benchmarks for actual realworld useage? I tried asking simular questions but unfortunatley people are split, ATI or NVIDIA and AMD or Intel XD which is fine, just not when im looking for a more 'objective' POV.

Anyhow any comments would be appreciated. The use of the system (incase you were wondering) is going to be primarily for entertainment - So games, movies, music and also im a a bit partial to photoshop so that too if i can bring myself to spend a lil time in Windows XD thankfully Vista looks like it might be able to take some of the sting away from leaving OSX but thats another matter.

-=DVS=-
10-25-05, 09:59 PM
Booo Intel... Go ! AMD.

jAkUp
10-25-05, 10:07 PM
Go AMD. Intel is not even a consideration in my book when it comes to gaming.

Roliath
10-25-05, 10:42 PM
My buddy has an 830 and doesn't even compare to an X2!

Daneel Olivaw
10-25-05, 11:05 PM
Go AMD. Intel is not even a consideration in my book when it comes to gaming.ditto
I agree, AND I'm an Intel fanboy.

SLI 7800GT s would kill any ATI or single GTX.

And screw DDR2.