PDA

View Full Version : Got Server?

Tuork
10-25-05, 10:35 PM
I need some info, or at least a nudge in which direction to look, regarding Servers.

My sis recently called and asked me if I could dig up some info on how much a server would cost, and what is its real purpose (advantages, etc).

Can anyone here tell me what I should look for in a server, or whether or not it is a worthy purchase?

As far as I know, we would be talking about a small server for a teeny company... say 5 people. Let's assume each of them has a computer.
There is always the possibility of expansion.

Comments? Insults? Flattery?

Arigato! :D

Mudcrutch
10-25-05, 10:57 PM
what about a virtual private server?

i use ASO:

http://www.asmallorange.com/services/vps/

all the benefits, none of the maintenance / commitement.

or do they need something literally in-house?

ricercar
10-26-05, 12:25 AM
Web server or file server?

A server is usually regular PC hardware that's been optimized. Web servers need high-bandwidth redundant network access and file servers need great gobs of safe disk storage. Servers don't typically need graphics or sound or CPU horsepower. Business servers probably want a gig of RAM, but no more. Equip a baseline PC with two gigabit ethernet cards and 1000 gigs on a RAID under RedHat3 or a Windows Server product and you're halfway there.

The other half is extreme uptime dependency. People's jobs hang on getting their data to and from a server. You want a dependable internal power supply, an external UPS (uninterruptable power supply) with surge protection, and automated backup cycle of some nature.

I'm running two office servers 24/7 on Athlon 1700+ nForce2 boards with 1GB RAM each. One runs Windows XP Pro and the other runs RedHat 3 Workstation 9. They have plenty of power to run VMware GSX Server, file serving, and even Folding@Home.

Tuork
10-26-05, 10:38 PM
I'll need to get more intel on to what the server would be used for. I'm guessing it would be a file server, so they can share stuff and what-not efficiently, while at the same time having backups made every so-often, ensuring data integrity in case of... well... anything.

There's no problem then just building my own server, rather than purchasing one? If I understood, I'd need some average processor, a gig-o-ram, larga RAID storage, and that's all?

Tuork
11-07-05, 01:26 PM
THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!!!!

Need to know some more stuff on servers (FILE servers, that is) :)

1. Aside from the server which was already discussed, what other hardware will I need in order to hook up 5+ computers, and how would I do that?
My first guess is that the Server will act as a gateway to the internet, then goes a 10+ port switch and in it I plug each computer. Wrong/right?

2. What are the advantages of actually HAVING a server? Backups, ability to share files, what else?

What else should I take into consideration?

Thanks in advance ;)

retsam
11-07-05, 01:44 PM
go with an opteron based server...most of the new servers coming in were i work are AMD based... so what ever its for AMD all the was baby ...

retsam
11-07-05, 01:49 PM
1. Aside from the server which was already discussed, what other hardware will I need in order to hook up 5+ computers, and how would I do that?
My first guess is that the Server will act as a gateway to the internet, then goes a 10+ port switch and in it I plug each computer. Wrong/right? do not use the server as a gateway!!.... please oh please dont do this...use a router... if this company is gonna have valuable information on it ...please dont do that...

2. What are the advantages of actually HAVING a server? Backups, ability to share files, what else? central location to store files just in case one pc goes down...central local to access files if remote access is needed....secuirity can be easily managed.... since this is a server for a company make sure you install raid level 0,1 just doing a data backup isnt enough ... having a raid system will mean that the data is intact and the server stays up....also make sure the system has some sort of battery backup... all this little extra stuff can mean full nights of sleep...oh ya make sure your router has the firewall on and only forwards the basics...e-mail, web, instant message...that sort of stuff...

Tuork
11-07-05, 06:22 PM
do not use the server as a gateway!!.... please oh please dont do this...use a router... if this company is gonna have valuable information on it ...please dont do that...

Ah, that's the kind of stuff I needed to know!

What would the setup look like?

Huge ass router with a cable going to each computer and one to the server?

Pardon my ignorance.

As for the Opteron matter... would you recommend building one, or buying one?
If so, what companies sell descent-priced ones?

retsam
11-07-05, 11:50 PM
Pardon my ignorance.
its all cool man, we have all been there at one time or another....and please ask any questions, thats what im here for.

What would the setup look like?
think of it as a hub and spoke sort of like a wagon wheel... were the hub is the router and the spokes is the server and the workstations...all your workstations should log into the server for authentication and access rights for the workstations. this can also lead to auditing of users. but the internet traffic will travel through the router after your users log into the workstations.

As for the Opteron matter... would you recommend building one, or buying one?since this is for a company ... i would buy one.. you need to be compliant with the server licenses ... if for what ever reason an employee gets pissed off and calls m$ and tells them the server is not licensed, m$ can impose a steep fine. so i would buy one. its gonna cost a little more but its worth it just for the fact of the hassles. i would go with dell. just becouse if you need help you can call there service center 24/7..

Huge ass router with a cable going to each computer and one to the server? well it depends what your connection to the internet is ...if its a t-1 then you would need a cisco router or some other router that offers a t-1 compatible interface. if its dsl or cable then you would use just a plain old linksys or dlink dsl/cable modem router... hope this helps out... please keep us informed with your status on this project....

Tuork
11-08-05, 08:22 AM
Thanks a bunch retsam.

I'll start looking into prices right away, even though all this is purely research for my sis. No idea if this will ever become "corporial" :)