PDA

View Full Version : Omg W T F

Pages : [1] 2

Riptide
10-26-05, 12:58 AM
Why does this bad luck keep happening to me? I don't understand.

Tonight I pulled my old motherboard and video card, replacing them with an eVGA 7800GTX and a Soltek K8T890 board.

The board had an old BIOS but it was able to boot. I meant to flash right away but didn't have a floppy drive to create the boot disk with handy. So I went ahead and tried to install XP, thinking that I could just flash once I got done w/setup. It booted OK after all.

Well when it got to the first logon screen after finishing setup the display went all wierd on me. The top and bottom had the dark blue border, the middle was light blue. Like it was supposed to be. Except that the logon screen was totally scrambled. I couldn't see my mouse cursor. So I typed in my password and it did log me in, but windows desktop was illegible. At this point I'm scratching my head. It makes it through setup but the screen freaks out on me at logon? Makes no sense.

So I went to a friend's house and brought back a BIOS flash on floppy and an extra monitor in case I need it. I followed the instructions and it flashed the BIOS, asking to be rebooted (hit F1). I did so and my problems went from bad to much worse.

Now the system is totally toast. If I go into the BIOS it locks up within seconds. No error messages, I just can't get back in there. I don't have a PS/2 keyboard handy and the BIOS has emulation turned off - so I can't even boot back to the floppy and try to flash it again.

I'm totally and completely screwed. :mad:

Amuro
10-26-05, 01:22 AM
I wish I could do something to help you but I don't know what the say...:(

Riptide
10-26-05, 01:30 AM
Well I found that if I'm quick I can change a setting in the BIOS, save, and get out before it locks. If the machine boots it doesn't lock up. Only in the BIOS does it seem to freak like that.

Anyway I turned emulation on and was able to flash again. Using the same BIOS as before the behavior is still there. So unfortunately other than trying an older BIOS there isn't much else I can do. It looks like a goner.

I'm very close to sending this board back to newegg and ordering the asus nf4 instead. I don't know who to blame for this - VIA or Soltek.

Or maybe just plain old bad luck. Surprise.

jAkUp
10-26-05, 01:30 AM
Did you completely clear the CMOS after the flash?

Riptide
10-26-05, 01:31 AM
Yes I've reset CMOS several times now - once even pulled the battery.

*EDIT* OK, it won't lock up just sitting there. If I try to make a change in the BIOS - that's when it goes into lala land.

/sigh

Auswak
10-26-05, 03:21 AM
Garbled screen display is generally an indication of a Power Problem, caused by either:

Not enough wattage for system setup including fans
Power cable connection configuration. Try to dedicate 1 complete line for graphics card.
Not all power connections to motherboard are connected

Although a 430W Antec should be ok, minimum specs do call out a 450Watt PSU for a 7800GTX.

One other thing to try is using the other display port.

:)

Grestorn
10-26-05, 05:11 AM
You're not the first to have problems with a Soltek board.

I had a board (the nForce 3 150, AMD 754 board) which would lock up if you tried to enter the BIOS while a device was connected to the SATA port.

They fixed this bug about a year after the board had been released.

Soltek is a no-no for me since then.

retsam
10-26-05, 05:21 AM
Garbled screen display is generally an indication of a Power Problem, caused by either:

Not enough wattage for system setup including fans
Power cable connection configuration. Try to dedicate 1 complete line for graphics card.
Not all power connections to motherboard are connected

Although a 430W Antec should be ok, minimum specs do call out a 450Watt PSU for a 7800GTX.

One other thing to try is using the other display port.

This is why i bought an evga ..and my next (hopefully 512MB gtx) is an evga.. you guys impress me with your posting in random forums... two thumbs up from me !!

Arqentus
10-26-05, 08:02 AM
Looks a lot like a damaged GPU.

Had the same thing happened to me a few years ago when i got myself a R9700. It worked fine for the first day or so, and on the second day, all garbled windows screen. Rebooted, even the bios boot screen showed signs of artifacts. Ram gone bad it seems.

Check if your cpu & gpu are cooled like they need to ( maybe its just bad cooling & overheating ). My best bet is, your GPU has the problems.

Riptide
10-26-05, 08:56 AM
Well regardless the board is completely hammered. Going into the BIOS results in a lock within seconds if I make any changes. Booting the computer and bypassing the BIOS still results in a hard lock within a random period of time, usually just a few minutes. This behavior only began after I flashed the BIOS. Something happened to it when the BIOS went on there - who knows what. But it's toast now.

I did manage to get into safe mode and remove the display adapter, letting it redetect. If it gets into Windows now before locking up the display isn't garbled any more. I am using the other port on the card as well, don't know if it really helped or not. So I'm *reasonably* confident that is OK now. But ofcourse the lockups kinda ruin it. lol

Anyway, I doubt it's a power issue. I agree it's possible - but I have only a floppy and one hard disc connected. That's it. Nothing else, not even a soundblaster. The Antec was enough for my X850, DVDROM, and my other hard drive as well (Raptor). So it should work with this card.

It was a long, horrible evening. And this is why I really do recommend people buy Dells if they have not enough technical knowledge and patience to put a machine together. It really is NOT easy. Stuff like this happens way to frequently. A Dell "just works" out of the box.

Anyway I have the Asus SLI board on the way, will be here Thursday. The Soltek is going back for a refund minus the restock fee. It was a nice looking motherboard - but it wasn't meant to be. Not sure who to blame here but I'm thinking it's most likely Soltek's fault and not VIA that I had these problems come up, especially with that BIOS flash.

saturnotaku
10-26-05, 09:16 AM
It was a long, horrible evening. And this is why I really do recommend people buy Dells if they have not enough technical knowledge and patience to put a machine together. It really is NOT easy. Stuff like this happens way to frequently. A Dell "just works" out of the box.

Why do you think I went for this HP in my sig instead of building it myself? ;)

Anyway I have the Asus SLI board on the way, will be here Thursday. The Soltek is going back for a refund minus the restock fee. It was a nice looking motherboard - but it wasn't meant to be. Not sure who to blame here but I'm thinking it's most likely Soltek's fault and not VIA that I had these problems come up, especially with that BIOS flash.

Yeah, it probably is the board's fault. Soltek = teh suck. :retard:

Riptide
10-26-05, 09:58 AM
If it's that finicky then I don't want it. To hell with that. It really is a piece of junk if it needs a PS/2 mouse attached and then doesn't mention it anywhere in the documentation.

Got an Nforce4 Asus board on the way instead. Hopefully that will cure all ills. And hopefully it won't come with an ancient BIOS like this Soltek did. I'm amazed the Soltek worked at all when we first got going with it, the BIOS was dated back in February.

Riptide
10-26-05, 10:21 AM
I had an A8V and didn't have any problems with it. But then I never tried to flash it with a USB keyboard attached, thusly never ran into the problem you had. It was a pretty good motherboard.

Oh well. I just hope that when I get the Asus SLI board that I don't have any major issues with it. I'm sick of fighting stuff like this - I just want it to come together and work.

I wonder if the BIOS on this Asus board will be ancient like the one the Soltek had. I sure hope not. I don't want to have to flash the Asus board if I can avoid it.

Sazar
10-26-05, 10:34 AM
Asus has a decent bios flash tool and I have had no problems flashing with my USB keyboard attached.

With my old msi, I had no problems except it would occasionally fail to recognize my USB keyboard till it got to windows :( so I could not get into bios et al, but that was not a serious problem per se.

G.luck.

darkrider01
10-26-05, 10:49 AM
Here it comes.....(soapbox)

Man, I feel your pain. The only mobo's I've yet to have problems with are Gigabyte:wonder: and Abit:thumbsup: mobos with Intel/NVidia Chipsets. After my last MSI board with that &%#$ VIA PT800 chip, I won't buy MSI:fu: or VIA:rw: again.

Aside from my rant, I'll shoot for the other problem I've seen cause the type of errors you are experiencing. I have seen a bad stick of RAM cause those types of corruption and BIOS instability.

Anyway, hope your new mobo works out. I had a couple of ASUS boards back in the Celeron 466 days and they were great. I still hear great things about them, so I'm thinking the mobo will not be an issue for you when it gets in.

Riptide
10-26-05, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the sympathy. :)

I doubt it's anything with the RAM or any other component of mine - all of them were working fine with my old board and video card. Only after putting this new stuff in am I having problems.

So I don't really suspect bad RAM or anything like that. The motherboard freaked after the BIOS update, was fine before that other than the first issue I mentioned (garbled video after setup finished) and the fact that it was an older BIOS. Since the motherboard wigged out after the BIOS update - that would imply something happened there.

Strahd
10-26-05, 11:52 AM
Man Rip, if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all :( I hope the new board works for you this time :thumbsup:

Riptide
10-26-05, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know what utility you need to use, and the switches, to flash the BIOS on the A8N motherboard? Asus's website sucks. I can download the BIOS - but it doesn't include a flash utility or ANY instructions whatsoever. Just a frickin .BIN file.

I think I need to use awdflash.exe but at this point I don't feel like being a risk taker. They have instructions for flashing BIOS at this page:
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?no=503&SLanguage=en-us

But there is no procedure for the A8N series. Nice of them isn't that? :rolleyes:

Strahd
10-26-05, 03:58 PM
There is Rip and it's on the CD that came with your motherboard. The asus flash program can be installed from the CD, then use it with the downloaded bios file to flash it. It does it inside of windows :)

Riptide
10-26-05, 05:04 PM
Someone e-mail'd me a copy of awdflash.exe and a batch file to use for the update. Not sure yet if I'm going to do the ALT-F2 method or use the boot floppy. I'm thinking about it still.

Chances are even if the A8N recognizes my chip properly it'll need a BIOS update. So I'm just thinking about stuff, trying to get ahead of the game a bit.

haproot
10-26-05, 06:11 PM
Get a Mac! heheheh :udawg:

Riptide
10-26-05, 06:12 PM
LOL

Two people here already did - and they now have PCs again. Bahahahahahaha

ROFLCOPTER

OWA
10-26-05, 10:08 PM
Someone e-mail'd me a copy of awdflash.exe and a batch file to use for the update. Not sure yet if I'm going to do the ALT-F2 method or use the boot floppy. I'm thinking about it still.

Chances are even if the A8N recognizes my chip properly it'll need a BIOS update. So I'm just thinking about stuff, trying to get ahead of the game a bit.
I just used the ALT-F2 method when I flashed mine.

Slyder
10-27-05, 01:54 AM
Seeing as were also talkin about of different boards, I have had no problems flashing Gigabyte m/b's. I rate them for ease of use. :)

Riptide
10-27-05, 09:16 AM
I've flashed more boards than I can count over the last decade or so. From Abit's to Compaq's. Never had a problem at all until a couple nights ago w/that Soltek. I even thought for a minute there, as unusual as this was, that maybe I did something retarded and used the wrong BIOS. But a trip to their website confirmed I had the right .BIN file. It just blew up on me for no obvious reason.