http://www.gdhardware.com/ed/gaming_cynic/candyass/001.htm

Talk about an uber-rant!!! :eek:

Vagrant Zero
10-26-05, 01:14 AM
Well heavens to mergatroid!

I love this guy already.

RAY16
10-26-05, 02:37 AM
My gripe with online gaming are things like UTComp and whatnot, where you have hitsounds and brightskins. If you're such a pro, you shouldn't need any help. If you can't see the characters, and you can't tell if you're hitting somebody, then maybe you shouldn't be playing the damn game.

grey_1
10-26-05, 04:01 AM
Awesome!

faraday
10-26-05, 06:50 AM
Call me old-school – I’ll take it as a compliment – but we started playing multiplayer shooters back with the original Doom and ever since have always appreciated FPS games that use a similar formula of “pureness” in the sense that you can actually hit what you aim at *gasp* – what a concept!

And he dares to talk about realism...

Well , tell him to grab a real gun and try...

Btw the article sucks ass

Changing the rules to accommodate your unwillingness to make the effort is NOT FAIR.

Aka exactly what he's trying to do...

This kind of watered down idealology from Infinity Ward speaks volumes to the fact that they made this game more for Console gamers (mass appeal) other than real gamers.

I'm no console gamer, but I would take ofense if I was....this guy's so full of himself...I won't even read anymore this is trash

Nutty
10-26-05, 07:30 AM
And he dares to talk about realism...

Well , tell him to grab a real gun and try...

I think you miss the point. He doesn't want realism. He wants consistent rules across the game. None of this making poorer players have better aim. And none of that crap bullet dropping that seems to go on in BF2.

faraday
10-26-05, 07:40 AM
I think you miss the point. He doesn't want realism. He wants consistent rules across all a game. None of this making poorer players have better aim. And none of that crap bullet dropping that seems to go on in BF2.

consistent rules across a game? are you saying the rules are dynamic in some way? Poorer players having better aim?

Ok so he's into 'old-school' fps's or so he says...doesn't mean everyone has to like that kind of game, I for one don't really appreciate it. He's trying to force he's opinion on everyone else , there'll always be arena-type old-school shooters , and the more ''realistic" type (if you want to call it that).

Perhaps games like UT and Doom and MoH take more practice and skill than games like battlefield or something , but what he doesn't realize is that some of us actually have lifes and don't want to spend countless hours trainning for a online game. So the point is , there are games geared towards his tastes....and games geared toward normal people .... oh wait that came out wrong...

Nice frakkin' avatar Commander Adama :P

agentkay
10-26-05, 09:00 AM
I think you miss the point. He doesn't want realism. He wants consistent rules across the game. None of this making poorer players have better aim. And none of that crap bullet dropping that seems to go on in BF2.

I personally like realism where it fits into a game. I donīt mind straight-forward action games either but if I would play them all the time, I would definitly get bored. A realistic game, with bullet drop, realistic recoil, true (3D model-only) hitzone can be lots of fun, the learning curve is more steap but in the end its more rewarding AND games like that sort the noobs from the skilled players nicely. OFP is one game that had all of that and while it was an average success and a niche game, it will remain a very unique and good game.

CaptNKILL
10-26-05, 09:35 AM
You know, I thought he was complaining about the amount of random crap in shooters today, but after reading the article I have no idea what hes blabbering about. It sounds like he changes his point of view about 50 times.

What a stupid article :p

zoomy942
10-26-05, 09:41 AM
the only thing i have to say, is this..
i play different types of games for different types of gameplay. i dont play Counterstrike source cause it just aint my style. but thtta doesnt mean i want people to never play it cause its too fast. ii dont like the speed, swat 4 is more my thing, but thats just my preference.

if he doesnt like certain games, then dont play them.

D3v0ur3r
10-26-05, 10:25 AM
When games come around that nerf weapons to make it so that bad players have enough time to react, then all is lost. When games put insane amounts of spread on weapons (I'm looking at you, FEAR. I bitched about this in their open beta forums) so that your shots rely on the randomness algorithm and luck instead of skill then there is a problem.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24959
100% true...... This explains BF2 in a nutshell as well. I am posting your reply on the forums of this article. I hope you do not mind.

Imbroglio
10-26-05, 12:12 PM
love the article :) i actually had a discussion with a friend about how little skill is involved in modern day fps games with this spread b$. honestly, put me into a game like q3 or rtcw where spread is a minimal and i will roll these ppl that shoot in the general direction of me and 9/10 times kill me with a headshot while aiming at my feet... that's truely awsome. we got to talking how aimbots are essentially pointless with these modern spread b$ games. what's the point of keeping your cross-hairs on somebody if you get a headshot when you shoot 5 feet behind the person?? most ppl that play cs:s i've noticed have very minimal aiming skills (from spec view). i've seen too many players get headshots when not even aiming remotely close to the player. And i guess what pisses me off the most about this spread, is that the ppl with true aiming skill are essentially hurt with these aiming algorithms. i mean should skill really be considered shooting randomly around the player and killing him while he had his cross-hairs on you the entire time. this is why i stay the hell away from spread games like cs:s and cod, blah. now i'm torqued up again :mad:

D3v0ur3r
10-26-05, 12:41 PM
I posted this article @ Planet BF2 forums to stir up the sheet. http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/topic.asp?fid=7419&tid=1770995

Seoulstriker
10-26-05, 12:44 PM
My gripe with online gaming are things like UTComp and whatnot, where you have hitsounds and brightskins. If you're such a pro, you shouldn't need any help. If you can't see the characters, and you can't tell if you're hitting somebody, then maybe you shouldn't be playing the damn game.

OMG, you bastard. If the competitive UT community didn't have hitsounds or brightskins, it would be a sad, sad day. :D

One of the importances is to even the playing field, especially with brightskins. There are way too many times on maps like Rankin where blue has the advantage of blending into the background while red does not.

MrSavoy
10-26-05, 01:39 PM
You know what, I agree with most of what he said. I like his stance on the old school mentality. Of course this is coming from me as someone who played Q3 for about 3-4 years almost exclusively. Since I wanted to get "that" good. :)

Tygerwoody
10-26-05, 02:31 PM
I agree with this guy 100%... Realism is dull and no fun... Floating scopes suck.... BF2 Jets really piss me off. I dont give a F*** if it seems "real" that a jet should be able to wipe out 200 people before getting taken down... its not fun.

GlowStick
10-26-05, 02:35 PM
Great article, it really tickles my pickle when gamers in ET think they 'pwn' with a panzer getting 1 kill while takeing them self out in the process.

They suck, bf2 is gay, and noobs still suck.