PDA

View Full Version : BFG 7800GTXs not working at stock speeds in SLI

Larethus
10-26-05, 01:27 AM
Well after extensive screwing around I narrowed down what was wrong with my new SLI setup. The issue was I would get random flashes of artifacts in most games; examples would be seen in FEAR, Quake 4, Doom 3, WoW. Serious Sam 2 totally locked up. The artifacts are never always on the screen; they would flash in blotches then re-appear again at random times in random spots.

I am running two BFG 7800GTX cards in SLI at stock BFG speeds. I have a PC P&C 510W SLI PSU and my rails are very solid. Either card worked fine on their own. The way I got rid of the artifacting is turning down the memory to 1.28ghz as opposed to the BFG advertised stock speed of 1.3ghz. Is it a big deal? Probably not. Will I ever see the difference in a game? Again… probably not. It is more principle than anything else. Should I raise a fuss with BFG and see if they have any solutions for me?

I have very good airflow in my case (see signature), of course I have some of the fans turned down at times but even with them all at full (which makes the system sound like a jet engine), I would still get these artifacts. These artifacts would occur regardless of driver version I used. I even had one of the cards swapped around at the local store I bought them from, regardless of which card was used (we were swapping around a total of 3 cards), the issue would occur regardless of which cards were in use.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Are there perhaps any BIOS updates I can try?

Amuro
10-26-05, 01:36 AM
I'm running BFG 7800 GTX SLI as well but have never exprienced anything like that.

Larethus
10-26-05, 01:45 AM
I'm running BFG 7800 GTX SLI as well but have never exprienced anything like that.

Lucky you. hehe
These are my first BFG cards, I actually got the first card when they were first released and was really happy with the 7800. I had been quite a fanATIc up till this point ;) It is just kind of annoying I have to downclock the memory a touch. What is even more strange is the gpu will overclock a bit.

alucard_x
10-26-05, 08:33 AM
you could always take off the heatsink/fan and reapply your own thermal paste. its possible they did a horrible job at the factory. beyond that, you could use your lifetime warranty..

Larethus
10-26-05, 09:55 AM
you could always take off the heatsink/fan and reapply your own thermal paste. its possible they did a horrible job at the factory. beyond that, you could use your lifetime warranty..

I did that ;)
I applied arctic silver 5 to both cards.
The only sad thing about using my lifetime warranty would be I'd have to send the cards away and I really don't want to be without them for 20mhz on my memory clock (1-2fps). Unless BFG does some sort of advanced shipment.

Strahd
10-26-05, 10:58 AM
You could send them back one at a time and just not use SLI for awhile. I agree the 20mhz on the memory isn't that big of a deal, but it is the principle of the thing.

J-Mag
10-26-05, 11:22 AM
I have a pretty similar setup and I have no artifacts on my BFG GTX's and I don't even have any ramsinks on the BGA (my sinks were not sticking well when i originally installed my waterblock so I decided to forgo them all together).

If I were you I would try one at a time and see if they clock just as bad individually. You may end up finding that jus tone of your cards is gimpy. Then you can sufffer for a while on one GTX during the RMA process...

Larethus
10-26-05, 11:44 AM
I have a pretty similar setup and I have no artifacts on my BFG GTX's and I don't even have any ramsinks on the BGA (my sinks were not sticking well when i originally installed my waterblock so I decided to forgo them all together).

If I were you I would try one at a time and see if they clock just as bad individually. You may end up finding that jus tone of your cards is gimpy. Then you can sufffer for a while on one GTX during the RMA process...

Hmm, I guess I am lucky (which is getting to be a really common occurrence with hardware for me lately). Although both cards do work at BFG stock speeds (460/1300) while on their own; that’s why I'm not too sure if one of the cards is gimpy? The issue is only when the cards are in SLI....