PDA

View Full Version : Quick PATA to SATA question, please

PaiN
10-26-05, 08:40 AM
I'm rebuilding my #2 machine today and I just realized the mobo I'm using(Abit AG8) only supports 2 PATA drives ...which poses a serious problem to my drive configuration.
Here's my question; The main HD I want to run is a Maxtor PATA 7.2k 8mb 200gb drive....I can't put it on PATA because of the above. I have an Abit Serial2 PATA to SATA converter. I've never used one, I hear they are horendous on performace and compatibility. So, is the converter worth using or should I spring and get a true SATA HD? I'd like to hear from people with exp. using these converters.

thanks for any help////

saturnotaku
10-26-05, 08:48 AM
Back when I was running my old Abit NF7-S board, I used those converters and didn't notice any performance problems. That's not to say there wasn't any sort of penalty, I just never really paid attention.

Instead of springing for a new hard drive if you don't want to use the adapter, how about buying a PCI ATA/133 card? Those can be had pretty cheap.

PaiN
10-26-05, 09:07 AM
Instead of springing for a new hard drive if you don't want to use the adapter, how about buying a PCI ATA/133 card? Those can be had pretty cheap.

That's a good idea, sat :thinker: I used HiPoint ATA/133 PCI RAID controllers for years....too bad I don't have any around ;(

extreme4377
10-26-05, 04:30 PM
No problems using the adapters back with my NF7-S PaiN. What do you think is in most of the "SATA" drives today? Same thing just built in

PaiN
10-26-05, 07:34 PM
What do you think is in most of the "SATA" drives today? Same thing just built in
That's kind of what I thought, so I used adapter. I'm installing XP atm...seem to be working fine.

Dazz
10-27-05, 07:22 AM
I used the Hipoint PATA to SATA and worked fine for quite a while till i sold them, they where connected to 2x WD SE 80GB drives RAIDed. Damn sweet. Then i sold them and got 2x WD Raptors.

PaiN
10-27-05, 09:05 AM
Really no problem at all...I finished the installation and setup, the adapter works perfectly, performace (XP / Application loading, transfers etc) and general feel are spot on.