PDA

View Full Version : 81.85 hosed my box please HELP!!

Pennyboy
10-26-05, 02:57 PM
Ok so I haven't had much luck with any of the rel 80 drivers and i'm starting to get p*ssed. My first problem was with the hour glass bug in rel 81.40s which was common. I then rolled back to 78.05, when nVidia released 81.85 WHQL I uninstalled 78.05 rebooted and installed 81.85 WHQL without problems and was happy until this happend:

I decided to format my PC and reinstalled Windows from scratch. I installed Windows XP with SP2, installed the Nforce4 chipset drivers then 81.85WHQL and rebooted and after the XP splash screen my PC bluescreened for a split second and gave me the option to start in safe mode, I rebooted and the same thing happened. This time I went into safe mode and uninstalled the drivers and windows would boot again. I reformatted again but I still get the same problem. So I reformatted AGAIN but this time installed 78.05betas and the problem went away. Ok, so I should of check the event viewer logs to write down what the problem was but I didn't. My system specs are below and the mobo BIOS is rel 1008 and my GTXs have the same revision BIOS.
At this stage my only guess is that its a DLL or something causing this issue because whats weird is that it doesn't occur when I uninstall a previous driver and install 81.85 so the old drivers must leave behind some old files that the new 81.85's don't replace, but this is my best guess.

This is driving me insance!! can someone PLEASE offer me some advise or has anyone experienced the same thing what did you do to fix this. I like nVidia but this is crazy I have never had this sort of problem from a ForceWare driver.

rombat
10-26-05, 03:19 PM
Hi Pennyboy, did you install your chipset drivers for your nforce4 motherboard? Just wanted to check you did that and what version did you use?

OWA
10-26-05, 03:25 PM
As a work-around, can't you do what you just listed. Wipe the system clean, install the OS, the chipset drivers, the 78.05s and then the 81.85s (maybe just install over the 78.05s if removing them first causes the issue appear again).

Also, are you installing the Nvidia IDE driver? If so, try skipping that part until after you have the 81.85s installed.

I had a similar issue since I just recently wiped my system clean. The way I got around it was waiting to install the IDE driver until after I had the video driver installed. I had a similar issue when I first put the system together. At the time, I thought it was related to my drives being SATA and supporting NCQ. When I went through this before, I was using the 7x.xx drivers and I got caught in the blue screen cycle just after installing the chipset drivers (including the IDE driver that I always install). So, I never made it to the video driver part. This time, I was fine after the chipset driver was installed (including the IDE driver) but I got caught in a similar blue screen cycle after the 81.85s were installed. I got around it like I mentioned already, waiting to install the IDE driver after the 81.85s were installed.

Pennyboy
10-26-05, 04:21 PM
Hi Pennyboy, did you install your chipset drivers for your nforce4 motherboard? Just wanted to check you did that and what version did you use?

Hey Rombat, yes I installed version v6.66.

Pennyboy
10-26-05, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=OWA]As a work-around, can't you do what you just listed. Wipe the system clean, install the OS, the chipset drivers, the 78.05s and then the 81.85s (maybe just install over the 78.05s if removing them first causes the issue appear again).

Thanks OWA for your reply. Yes I could just stick with my workaround but I think I will try your suggestion and install my vid card drivers before the Nforce 4 drivers. Its just a pain and pretty bad on nVidia's part don't you think? It seems as though they rushed to get these out.
The other question is it worth moving up to the 81.85's? I play games like BF2, Doom3, HL2 and FEAR. If the 81.85 aren't much faster or better for those games I am happy to stick with the 78.05s until nVidia fix what ever is causing this bluescreen loop problem.

SLippe
10-26-05, 04:59 PM
I would definately go with the 81.85 set for those games. I, personally, am using the 82.10, but no big thing over 81.85. Good luck.

OWA
10-26-05, 05:09 PM
I think I will try your suggestion and install my vid card drivers before the Nforce 4 drivers. Its just a pain and pretty bad on nVidia's part don't you think? It seems as though they rushed to get these out.
The other question is it worth moving up to the 81.85's? I play games like BF2, Doom3, HL2 and FEAR. If the 81.85 aren't much faster or better for those games I am happy to stick with the 78.05s until nVidia fix what ever is causing this bluescreen loop problem.
Actually, what I meant was, I installed the chipset drivers first but I unchecked the IDE driver selection so that it wouldn't install the IDE driver at that time. I then installed the 81.85s and after checking to make sure things were fine, I later went back and installed the nvidia IDE driver. A lot of people seem to have issues with their IDE driver and most recommend keeping the WinXP driver instead but I prefer the nvidia driver since, for example, it correctly identifies everything in the device manager.

What I was also suggesting (more like wondering) was if it was a video driver issue or an IDE driver issue? I'm also kind of curious if my suggestion will help in your case or if I just got lucky.

OWA
10-26-05, 05:17 PM
Hey, I just saw that there are new betas available and new nforce drivers also. You may want to give those a shot. If I had waited just a couple of more days I could have used the latest with my fresh install. Oh well, although, I'm actually considering wiping things clean again since I still don't have everything installed anyway.

Pennyboy
10-26-05, 06:11 PM
Hey, I just saw that there are new betas available and new nforce drivers also. You may want to give those a shot. If I had waited just a couple of more days I could have used the latest with my fresh install. Oh well, although, I'm actually considering wiping things clean again since I still don't have everything installed anyway.

I will try the new nforce drivers and Betas tonight and I will let you know how I get on!!

Pennyboy
10-26-05, 10:01 PM
Ok boys, i've dnl the new 6.70 Nforce 4 drivers and currently dnl the rel 81.87 betas from Nzone.com so watch this space. I have my fingers crossed that these will fix my bluescreen then reboot in safe mode.
If I still have problems, then someones going to get murderized... so start running all you nVidia driver developers ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Pennyboy
10-27-05, 05:16 AM

OWA I am happy to report no nVidia software engineers will be killed!. I installed Nforce 4 v6.70 and Forceware 85.87 and no problems with bluescreens etc. So finally of got a rel 80 driver that works for me, I think I will stick with this setup for a while i'm sick of reinstalling!.

rudedog
10-27-05, 06:37 AM
Also, Asus bois for your motherboard is up to 1015-500.

The only requirement is chipset drivers 6.66 or higher before upgrading.

Pennyboy
10-27-05, 03:26 PM
Also, Asus bois for your motherboard is up to 1015-500.

The only requirement is chipset drivers 6.66 or higher before upgrading.

I know I should flash my BIOS to the latest but I don't really like doing it. My PC is working now with the latest Nforce driver and ForceWares so I think I will hold off on Flashing my mobo. I know that its usually safe but there is the chance it won't work and my mobo will be dead.

rombat
10-27-05, 10:58 PM
I would do the same Pennyboy, if your computer is working fine and ok for you than leave it as be. Now go and buy those new games and start having fun again! :)

Pennyboy
10-28-05, 05:24 AM
I would do the same Pennyboy, if your computer is working fine and ok for you than leave it as be. Now go and buy those new games and start having fun again! :)

Hell Yeah Rombat i'm going too!! I'm sick of mucking around with new installs and drivers I just want to game. Can't wait for Call of Duty 2 to come out here. BTW I am getting more FPS in Doom3 etc so i'm pretty happy with the rel 81.87s

OWA
10-28-05, 11:52 AM
OWA I am happy to report no nVidia software engineers will be killed!.

I think I will stick with this setup for a while i'm sick of reinstalling!.
Congrats on it getting it all worked out.

I don't blame you. Enjoy a working system for a while. :)

Edit: BTW, how did you do the install? Did you install over the top of the other one, leave the IDE part until last or do anything special?

Pennyboy
10-29-05, 06:00 AM
Congrats on it getting it all worked out.

I don't blame you. Enjoy a working system for a while. :)

Edit: BTW, how did you do the install? Did you install over the top of the other one, leave the IDE part until last or do anything special?

Hey OWA. What I did was reformatted my HD, installed Win XP w/SP2, installed rel 6.70 with the IDE Part. Then installed ForceWare 81.87 betas rebooted and crossed my fingers that it would work and it did!!. So I recommend anyone having the same problems as I did to use those drivers because I haven't had a single problem since. Plus getting extra frames in games too!!

OWA
10-29-05, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I just wiped my system clean again last night and that combination worked well for me also. It was nice being able to install the nforce and forceware drivers without having to use any sort of work-arounds.

Pennyboy
11-01-05, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I just wiped my system clean again last night and that combination worked well for me also. It was nice being able to install the nforce and forceware drivers without having to use any sort of work-arounds.

Good to hear that your PC is going Ok too OWA with the new drivers!. I'm still not sure i'm happy with the rel 80s though. When booting Windows two nights ago it got stuck on the Windows splash screen! and i'm convinced the 81.87s were to blame, it has only happened once so no big deal but I never had any issues with the rel 70 set. Oh well overtime they will mature and become less troublesome I hope.