PDA

View Full Version : IBM Develops Xbox360 CPU??

rohit
10-26-05, 07:08 PM
What is this?
IBM has announced a custom designed microprocessor, built exclusively for Microsoft's Xbox 360 console, offering Microsoft a dual-source capability for the highest level of manufacturing redundancy and flexibility.

Due to Microsoft's aggressive timetable, IBM had to take the Xbox 360 chip design from concept to full execution in just 24 months. The chip was designed and developed by IBM and Microsoft to meet the requirements of the next generation Xbox 360 console. IBM had received the contract for the chip in fall of 2003 and was able to deliver it in time for Microsoft's worldwide launch of the Xbox 360 later this year.

According to Todd Holmdahl, corporate vice president for the Xbox 360, "The Xbox 360 chip set was designed from the ground up, specifically for high-definition gaming and entertainment. Working with IBM gave us the flexibility to design a processor to give game developers the kind of targeted power they need to make great games."

This chip features a customized version of IBM's 64-bit PowerPC core. It includes three of these cores, each with two simultaneous threads and clock speeds greater than 3 GHz. The chip features 165 million transistors and is fabricated using IBM's 90 nm Silicon on Insulator (SOI) technology to reduce heat and improve performance. Its 21.6 GBps Front Side Bus (FSB) Architecture was customized to meet the demanding throughput and latency requirements of the Xbox 360 gaming platform software.

Microsoft's next generation Xbox 360 gaming console will go on sale by November of 2005.
Does this mean, you can change the cpu in x360 ? jus like in comps?

P.S: delete/close this tread if this is already posted earlier.

Subtestube
10-26-05, 07:16 PM

I strongly doubt it - it's a custom design (and it's been known for a while that IBM did it - funnily enough they're [at least in part] behind the CPUs for every major upcoming console), and I doubt it'll have a traditional socket in any case (even though there will be pins in there, I doubt you'll be able to remove the CPU).

rohit
10-26-05, 07:21 PM
even i doubt it, but i feel some how, its possible.
BTW, who made the cpu chips for x360? i mean intel designed it but did they make/manufacture it? or IBM made it?

Subtestube
10-26-05, 07:25 PM
IBM designed and are manufacturing all CPUs for the X360. For the original XBOX I believe Intel designed and fabbed them.

News from today: http://anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=25155

saturnotaku
10-26-05, 07:26 PM
For the original XBOX I believe Intel designed and fabbed them.

The original Xbox CPU was nothing more than a tarted up PIII 733.

Subtestube
10-26-05, 07:28 PM
The original Xbox CPU was nothing more than a tarted up PIII 733.

I'd heard that, but wasn't certain ;). Good to know.

jolle
10-26-05, 07:45 PM
I recall people swapping out the 733mhz P3 with up to 1.4ghz Tulatin CPUs..
and some even replaced the GPU (GF3/4 something) with a FX5200, apparantly pin compatible.. not sure how well that worked out tho, I recall MS warning that it would mess everything up..

Its been know for a long time (old thread maybe?) that IBM was making the Xbox360 CPU, and that it was derived of the PowerPC CPUs (prolly similar to the G5).
Kind of funny, MS (PC OS maker) goes to IBM for a CPU, while Apple ditches IBM as their CPU developer, and jumps over to Intel, a PC x86 CPU maker, and if that wasnt enough, maker of the CPU in the old Xbox..

Rakeesh
10-26-05, 07:58 PM

You can change the CPU in anything that has one. Whether or not the one you replace it with it is compatible is a whole other issue.

I think what you are getting at here though, is whether or not the CPU is socketed so that you can replace it without doing an extensive solder job. I would say thats a definite no.

Some masochistic people actually did replace the 700Mhz celeron in their xbox with a 1.4Ghz celeron a while back.

rohit
10-27-05, 05:48 PM
I think what you are getting at here though, is whether or not the CPU is socketed so that you can replace it without doing an extensive solder job. I would say thats a definite no.
This is what i meant to ask. will it be able for a novice user to do it? without facing complications?

But its good Buisness for IBM/lenovo (whoever has developed).
SONY, X360, (i think even nintendo) is making the CPU's from them.

msxyz
10-28-05, 08:29 AM
I recall people swapping out the 733mhz P3 with up to 1.4ghz Tulatin CPUs..
and some even replaced the GPU (GF3/4 something) with a FX5200, apparantly pin compatible.. not sure how well that worked out tho, I recall MS warning that it would mess everything up..

Its been know for a long time (old thread maybe?) that IBM was making the Xbox360 CPU, and that it was derived of the PowerPC CPUs (prolly similar to the G5).
Kind of funny, MS (PC OS maker) goes to IBM for a CPU, while Apple ditches IBM as their CPU developer, and jumps over to Intel, a PC x86 CPU maker, and if that wasnt enough, maker of the CPU in the old Xbox..

The Xbox CPU was an embedded Pentium 3 processor (still available today, just look at Intel site for embedded X86s) which is pin 2 pin combatible with other CPUs of the same family.

The video processor is a custom chip made by NVidia that included also the "northbrdige" and the processor interface thus it's not possible to replace it, certainly not with a discrete AGP GPU!!!

The Xbox360 has a cutsom built symmetric multicore processor built by IBM which is code compatible with the 64bit PowerPC family. The processor features also an extended Altivec instruction set specifically engineered for gaming needs. The chip is not pin 2 pin compatible with anything else on the market, not even from IBM itself. From the past talks it's likely that this CPU will also include an hardware encryption engine similar to that found inside Via C3 processors which allow data to be scrambled directly by the processor (and in a completely transparen way) to prevent hackers from tampering with the code.

angshuman
10-28-05, 04:42 PM
BTW, who made the cpu chips for x360? i mean intel designed it but did they make/manufacture it? or IBM made it?
Slightly OT since Intel has nothing to do with the x360, but... If Intel designs a chip, then it will allow only one manufacturer to fab it -- Intel. Purely in terms of manufacturing technology, Intel is no many generations ahead of any other fab company (IBM, TSMC) it's not even funny. The sheer amount of volume that Intel fabs can churn out is frightening, and their yields are supposed to be unbelieveably high. Manufacturing is Intel's forte, not design.