PDA

View Full Version : Driver settings? (78.01)

sebcanadaceo
10-27-05, 05:27 AM
I have a few questions about the settings if anyone is willing to help?

I run on a resolution of 1152x864 and my monitor is an NEC XtraView MultiSync LCD 1850E

My card is a Geforce4 4400 Ti with 128 Megs.

"Performance and Quality settings"

I have "Image Settings" on "Quality", is that Ok?

"Antialliasing" was on "Aplication Controll" but I have switched it to "Off". Is that Ok or should I place it on 2x, 2xQ, 4x or 4x5?

"Anasotropic filtering" is also on "Off", is that Ok?

"Rotation settings" are at 0 and the "Refresh Rate" is at "60 Hertz", is that Ok?

Finally, my "Display Mode Timing" is on "auto detect". Is that Ok, or should it be on "General Timing Formula", "Discrete Monitor Timing", "Coordinated Video Timing - Standard" or "Fixed Aspect Ratio Timing"?

Please forgive all the questions, I know I must sound like an "idiot" but I just don't know much about all this stuff?

Any assistance is very much apreciated! Thank you.

Regards

-Seb

heeven
10-27-05, 11:01 AM
I have a few questions about the settings if anyone is willing to help?

I run on a resolution of 1152x864 and my monitor is an NEC XtraView MultiSync LCD 1850E

My card is a Geforce4 4400 Ti with 128 Megs.

"Performance and Quality settings"

I have "Image Settings" on "Quality", is that Ok?

"Antialliasing" was on "Aplication Controll" but I have switched it to "Off". Is that Ok or should I place it on 2x, 2xQ, 4x or 4x5?

"Anasotropic filtering" is also on "Off", is that Ok?

"Rotation settings" are at 0 and the "Refresh Rate" is at "60 Hertz", is that Ok?

Finally, my "Display Mode Timing" is on "auto detect". Is that Ok, or should it be on "General Timing Formula", "Discrete Monitor Timing", "Coordinated Video Timing - Standard" or "Fixed Aspect Ratio Timing"?

Please forgive all the questions, I know I must sound like an "idiot" but I just don't know much about all this stuff?

Any assistance is very much apreciated! Thank you.

Regards

-Seb

Let's see:
Many of the settings you're asking about depend on the kind of performance/image quality YOU want.
For instance, when the slider is set at performance it means you'll get the best performance (faster) at the expense of image quality. The opposite when you choose High quality. Quality is the default setting since you get a little bit of both, better performance and better image quality. But as I said before, it all depends on how comfortable you feel at each setting. Whether you prefer quality over performance or viceversa.
Anisotropic Filtering is another setting to get better image quality and as such it affects performance. Application controlled means you set your choice for AF in-game. But since AF is not that taxing in today's cards (and this is just my view) I suggest you set it at least to 4X.
Antialiasing is another issue. It's used to get better image quality by smoothing jaggies in polygons so it is very taxing in graphic cards. Since you don't have a last-generation card it is better to leave this setting at application-controlled or simply off.
"Display Mode Timing" leave it at auto-detect.
When it comes to your monitor's refresh rate that obviously is monitor-dependant. The only thing I can say to you is the higher the refresh rate the better. Above 70 hz is preferable. I dont' know if your monitor at 1152x864 supports a higher refresh rate other than 60 hz. Maybe if you lower your resolution you can set it higher.

I hope this helps you. :afro2:

sebcanadaceo
10-27-05, 10:12 PM
Thank you, your help is much appreciated!!!

Regards

-Seb

j0j081
10-28-05, 12:51 PM
unless you are playing older games AA and AF won't be much good on that card.