PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2 issues, and some general help needed please

deadmanwalkin'
10-27-05, 08:51 AM
I have just upgraded my video card from a ATI 9800Pro to a BFG 6800GT OC (damned card is almost as big as an ISA!!!).

Everything went smoothly. I've updated the NVidia drivers, and I have even played some counterstrike.

However, Battlefield 2 now won't load up. It initiates and then crashes and shuts down. Does anyone have any idea's?

I've already uninstalled/re-installed and patched. No Luck. Same thing happens.

EA's site is (in my humble opinion) less then helpful via support. Any suggestions will and are appreciated.

I am running:
Athlon 64 - 3200
1 GB RAM
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
BFG 6800GT OC (AGP)
2x80Gb SATA (non-RAID)
Acer AL1951B 19" Gamers LCD

Ok, second issue is. I have 2x80Gb SATA HD's. I now have a third 120Gb SATA drive but I am having difficulty having the third disk recognized. Any suggestions here?

Lastly...

I've upgraded my wireless A/P to a DGL-4300 DLink Gamers Router. This thing smokes a$$. However, the idiot in the basement has a Linksys USB 802.11G wireless adapter as well and can't seem to get his to work. Both pieces of hardware are the same wireless standard so I see no reason at all why they won't work togethor but they don't. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone. Your tried and true expertise would be greatly appreciated.

PsychoAus
10-27-05, 09:19 AM
on the BF2 problem, you have edited your videodefault .con file to allowrefreshrates to (1) havent you?

Only other reason it might be crashing to the desktop is maybe too much running in the background.

I just upgraded to 2gb ram and the game luvs 2gb of ram let me tell ya, even with 2 x 7800gtx cards in sli....

Burnt_Ram
10-27-05, 09:30 AM
are you using a refresh rate overide tool ? is so disable it, go into game then back out, re-enable and all should be good.

deadmanwalkin'
10-27-05, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty good at maintaining background programs. I have less then ten at any one time and I usually shut down those that aren't in use.

I will upgrade the RAM as well to 2gb (especially the stupid lo price it's gone down to) and will check the refreshes (in the card and the monitor) when I get back tonight.

Thanks though for the input.

The Boatman
10-27-05, 04:05 PM
Have you added 1280x960 as a custom resolution in Forceware? If you were playing at that resolution previously, you'll need to add that as a custom res in Forceware. But the 1.3 patch supports 1280x1024.

J-Mag
10-27-05, 04:20 PM
also NEVER use power management when running BF2, it will always crash my game if i have my hard disk set to spin down...

subbo
10-27-05, 06:20 PM
BF2 stores its settings in My Documents, so you have to delete those if the previous ATI settings are crashing the game. But dont forget your profile password! :)

Peoples-Agent
10-28-05, 01:24 AM
I had trouble with BF2 doing that when I installed additional ram, turned out to be a ram issue that never showed in anything else. Very strange, but I guess I was greatful as I then ran memtest to find the ram was fooked!
RMA'ed and two fresh 1GB sticks will be on route soon enough.

Not sure that helps much though.

|JuiceZ|
10-28-05, 09:16 AM
deadmanwalkin' if you installed the 1.03 patch and its crashing back to the desktop, try this fix (http://www.bf2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4493). It worked for me.