PDA

View Full Version : Corsair vs OCZ

Reaper106
10-27-05, 02:42 PM
Ok guys, I am ready to order my 2x1024 memory. I have been using Corsair XMS for my last 2 systems, this is for my AMD system listed below. I have heard good things about OCZ but have never used it. Newegg has a pretty good deal on the OCZ Platinum for 252.55 before a $27.00 mail in rebate "$225.55 after rebate" VS the Corsair XMS for 276.00. OCZ is clearly cheaper, Is it as good,better or not as good as corsair? I dont mind spending the extra money if Corsair is better, however if the OCZ is just as good then I would rather pay less.

Thanks for any advice:D

saturnotaku
10-27-05, 02:49 PM
I had bad luck with a set of OCZ memory that I recently RMA'd. It was unstable, and my BIOS wouldn't detect the correct amount. Some cheap Ultra branded memory from TigerDirect has been doing the job perfectly - the 2x512 I have is running alongside some OEM Infineon sticks at full DDR400 specs. I'm really happy with it. :D

Ninjaman09
10-27-05, 02:57 PM
I've been using OCZ memory for my past 2 systems as well as several systems I built for my friends and it works perfectly. The 2x1GB dual channel kit I have now runs perfectly and has never given me trouble.

Corsair has never disappointed me either. You really can't go wrong either way. :D

Oh BTW OCZ has the best warranty support EVER. They're awesome.

SH64
10-27-05, 03:07 PM
Generally OCZ seems to be more compatible with nForce4 boards IMO & thats why i stuck with them , but notice its only a self experiance i had along with quite few other people esp with DFI mobos.
we had troubles with the Corsair RAM on that mobo.

Strahd
10-27-05, 03:34 PM
I haven't had any problems with OCZ and I'm using 2 x 1gb sticks. I liked the price at newegg and the timings :) Memory in sig

Rakeesh
10-27-05, 03:45 PM
When I buy memory, I decide what specs I want, then I go down to Fry's electronics and find the cheapest generic memory that meets those specs and has a full lifetime warranty.

Fry's honors that warranty, so if anything -EVER- goes wrong with the memory I buy, all I do is take it down there and they'll exchange it for a new one on the spot. No paperwork, shipping, or anything - just a flat out exchange. So what if it is generic memory? It is guarenteed to work for many many years beyond what I will even care to use it for.

Right now I am thinking about going down there and buying 2x1GB PC4200 DDR2 sticks for $89.99 each, so about $190 to put my system at a total of 3GB of 533MHz DDR2.

Reaper106
10-27-05, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, decisions decisions. :D

Riptide
10-27-05, 04:12 PM
OCZ is good but keep in mind 2 out of 3 kits I ordered from newegg were defective right out of the box. You might want to get it from a different vendor. Or if you feel lucky go for it anyway. lol

Reaper106
10-27-05, 04:15 PM
OCZ is good but keep in mind 2 out of 3 kits I ordered from newegg were defective right out of the box. You might want to get it from a different vendor. Or if you feel lucky go for it anyway. lol

WOW, that is not very good odds, Thanks for the heads up bro. :)

jAkUp
10-27-05, 04:17 PM
OCZ for me... I've used Corsair, as well as OCZ. Corsair is getting out of touch with the enthusiasts IMO.

Reaper106
10-27-05, 04:26 PM
OCZ for me... I've used Corsair, as well as OCZ. Corsair is getting out of touch with the enthusiasts IMO.
Timings seem a little more relaxed than OCZ, however Corsair so far for me has been a very stable product. I guess I better decide soon, neither one does me any good sitting on a shelf in some warehouse lol:D

$n][pErMan
10-27-05, 05:48 PM
I have used both .. and I must say .. the OCZ I have now is by far the best RAM I have ever owned! OCZ has my vote! :D

jAkUp
10-27-05, 06:01 PM
Go with the OCZ, it works better on nForce4 boards especially :)

Strahd
10-27-05, 06:25 PM

I must have gotten lucky then because my memory was good when I ordered it from NewEgg the first time :thumbsup:

I think it's your bad luck streak Rip :(

Reaper106
10-27-05, 09:29 PM
Go with the OCZ, it works better on nForce4 boards especially :)

Ok jAKUp, I'm gonna try the OCZ out, I sure do miss working at a OEM. Man I never wondered what was good or bad, I just ordered it and tested. Then If I liked it we could order more in for stock. Ahhh the good ol days :D

Well here's to trying new things:beer:

keith33
10-27-05, 09:58 PM
Hey I don't know if it's too late but the Platinum 1GB sticks are made for low timings and NOT high speeds. The max you'll hit is around 235mhz unless you set a divider. This didn't matter to me because I don't overclock but I'm not sure what situation you're in right now.

Reaper106
10-27-05, 10:05 PM
Hey I don't know if it's too late but the Platinum 1GB sticks are made for low timings and NOT high speeds. The max you'll hit is around 235mhz unless you set a divider. This didn't matter to me because I don't overclock but I'm not sure what situation you're in right now.
Na, I dont OC, thanks for the warning though.:)

$n][pErMan
10-27-05, 10:08 PM
Ya .. but you can always lossen your timings .. you can't always make them tighter ;)