PDA

View Full Version : Asus A8N-E decent short-term upgrade from A8V?

Idoru
10-27-05, 01:43 PM
I'm keen to move into the PCI-E world, currently run a ASUS A8V Deluxe which is AGP only. I'm conscious that socket M2 is not far off, and once that beds in during the second half of next year I'll look to upgrade my CPU (from current 3500 Newcastle) and move to M2 + DDR2.

In the interim, though, I'm looking for a lower cost PCI-E 939 mobo that can utilise my current CPU and RAM, while allowing me to move to a 7800 series GPU. (Will also upgrade my PSU to a 2.01 compliant model, my existing Antec 550W PSU is going to be sold on as a 'package' with my 6800 Ultra).

As my system also doubles as my business PC, stability/feature set is more important than overclockability, and my current A8V Deluxe has served me well over the past 12 months, so I'm happy to stick with ASUS (though I appreciate plenty out there think they suck).

That said, there are not a lot of A8N-E reviews around, and those that I can find were written when the mobo was first introduced, and was rather buggy. So, recommended or no? Cheers.

Riptide
10-27-05, 03:11 PM
Isn't there an A8V-E? Which is just the K8T890 version of your board? Might not be a bad temporary solution, as long as you get it at a good price (read less than $100).

Reaper106
10-27-05, 03:14 PM
I cant really give any opinion on the A8N-E as I have never used it. However I have never had a regret using ASUS, I have been using ASUS since the Pentium 1 days. Good luck and enjoy :)

AthlonXP1800
10-28-05, 12:05 AM
I got ASUS A8N-E new revision 2.00 board, it is really incredible very solid, stability and performance board. Never had trouble with the board, it is very stable with BIOS 1005 when I bought the board, it already supported dual core and upgraded to BIOS 1006 straight away without any issues. I overclocked my 7800 GTX to 500/1350 and the Athlon 64 X2 4400+ automatized overclocked to 2.38GHz when I had 4GB 4 sticks running at 400MHz. Yesterday I flashed the BIOS to 1008 and reconfigured the settings and noticed something had changed since BIOS 1006, it didnt overclocked my CPU automatized, I went into BIOS and enabled A.I. NOS Overclocking 10%. It saw my CPU overclocked to 2.42GHz and ran 3D Marks 05, it scored 8951 and very easy outperformed X1800 XT 512Mb in all games. :angel:

ASUS A8N-E is my first Nvidia board, I bought it for £76 in August 2005 after fedup of lose patient for VIA's new chipset to fix dual core incompatible, they never made new chipsets, my previous motherboard was ASUS A7V333 with VIA KT333 chipset. I am recommend ASUS A8N-E, it now use new revision 2.00 board, it not buggy as people were said, it never failed. :D

Idoru
10-28-05, 04:09 AM
I got ASUS A8N-E new revision 2.00 board... I bought it for £76 in August 2005...

I'm in the UK too - where did you pick up your board? I'm keen to get a rev 2 also (gather the chipset fan is better for one thing)... I usually just get stuff from Overclockers, but Tottenham Court Rd is only 20 mins away.

AthlonXP1800
10-28-05, 06:21 AM
I'm in the UK too - where did you pick up your board? I'm keen to get a rev 2 also (gather the chipset fan is better for one thing)... I usually just get stuff from Overclockers, but Tottenham Court Rd is only 20 mins away.

I ordered it from Overclockers UK on 9th August and had it shipped on next day delivery. :D ASUS A8N-E still listed (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ASUS_Socket_939.html) and in stock at Overclockers UK.

Idoru
10-28-05, 11:09 AM
Thanks. Out of interest, does the nForce Ultra 4 chipset on the A8N-E have native SATA, or do you need to load RAID drivers during XP reinstallation? Only ask because my floppy drive is acting up, though it may be some sort of driver conflict (very possibly Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta).

Given that I'm not interested in SLI, is there any real benefit (stability/performance?) from getting the A8N-SLI mobo, which is just 10 more expensive?

AthlonXP1800
10-28-05, 11:17 PM
Thanks. Out of interest, does the nForce Ultra 4 chipset on the A8N-E have native SATA, or do you need to load RAID drivers during XP reinstallation? Only ask because my floppy drive is acting up, though it may be some sort of driver conflict (very possibly Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta).

Given that I'm not interested in SLI, is there any real benefit (stability/performance?) from getting the A8N-SLI mobo, which is just 10 more expensive?

Yes it got 4 native SATA ports, 1 of my new hard drive connected to SATA1, no driver needed. :)

Idoru
10-29-05, 02:09 PM
Yes it got 4 native SATA ports, 1 of my new hard drive connected to SATA1, no driver needed. :)

That's useful to know. I assume a RAID driver disk is still required however? Final question: I keep reading about the noisy fan on the nForce chipset - is this still an issue with rev 2? Cheers.

Riptide
10-29-05, 02:10 PM
Yes you need a driver disk to use during setup for XP to see the disc drives attached to the NF4 controller. It should come with one although there is probably a newer version out already.

AthlonXP1800
10-30-05, 02:05 AM
That's useful to know. I assume a RAID driver disk is still required however? Final question: I keep reading about the noisy fan on the nForce chipset - is this still an issue with rev 2? Cheers.

Yeah you still need RAID dirver when you use RAID. The chipset fan is silent, I cant hear it, it had the same amount of RPMs as my 21dBA 2500RPM Thermaltake A1838 Silent Boost K8 Heatsink cooler fan, it not noisy.

AnteP
11-02-05, 02:39 PM
I have two concerns with my board:
1. It doesn't have firewire (it should be illegal to seel a mobo without FW in 2005 ;) )
2. The bundled ASUS application for BIOS updating in Windows won't even install. I've seen a ton of posts on this and there's no known solution. (Selling a mobo that requires a floppy drive for BIOS updates in 2005 should be illegal ;) )

Other than that everything is peachy! Works like a charm from day one. (Just updated to the latest beta BIOS 1010.003 or something which seemed to do wonders for my bootup speed)

uOpt
11-02-05, 02:40 PM
WARNING (without reading thread, just want to get this out):

A8V-E does not support dual-core, and neither does the Deluxe IIRC. Only the A8V-E SE supports dual-core, but is much too expensive for the features given. Nice board with ECC support, working almost everything.

The AGP A8Vs all support dual-core, to my knowledge, it is just the non-SE PCIe variants where VIA fatfingered something.

EvilEye
11-02-05, 03:04 PM
Other than that everything is peachy! Works like a charm from day one. (Just updated to the latest beta BIOS 1010.003 or something which seemed to do wonders for my bootup speed)

Thx, going to try it out, because my board takes forever to boot. Sometimes 2-3 min :confused:

AthlonXP1800
11-02-05, 03:22 PM
2. The bundled ASUS application for BIOS updating in Windows won't even install. I've seen a ton of posts on this and there's no known solution. (Selling a mobo that requires a floppy drive for BIOS updates in 2005 should be illegal ;) )

Hmmm well when I installed the motherboard back in August, I downloaded latest BIOS 1006 saved to disk from older system and flashed it on the new system through EZ-Flash and it worked without issues. Then a few weeks ago I downloaded latest ASUS Update version 6.10.02 and flashed BIOS 1008, worked perfect without issues. :)

AthlonXP1800
11-02-05, 03:28 PM
Thx, going to try it out, because my board takes forever to boot. Sometimes 2-3 min :confused:

That very strange, mine boot much faster at 15 secs. I dont think it something wrong with the BIOS, it may be waiting for some drivers loading caused boot delay during Windows XP boot screen. Try update all the latest drivers and also disabled unnecessary settings like Audio, MIDI, Modem, RAID etc you might missed something to disabled in the BIOS.

EvilEye
11-04-05, 08:36 AM
That very strange, mine boot much faster at 15 secs. I dont think it something wrong with the BIOS, it may be waiting for some drivers loading caused boot delay during Windows XP boot screen. Try update all the latest drivers and also disabled unnecessary settings like Audio, MIDI, Modem, RAID etc you might missed something to disabled in the BIOS.

Well the new Bios just made it worse :confused: . I had almost the same slugginess when booting with my old Abit AV8. Starting to suspect the hitachi-drives.....

AthlonXP1800
11-04-05, 10:48 AM
Well the new Bios just made it worse :confused: . I had almost the same slugginess when booting with my old Abit AV8. Starting to suspect the hitachi-drives.....

Yeah I guess so, I noticed in your signature you got 2 hitachi drives, SATAII and SATA, maybe they both dont mix very well, try disconnect each one drive at a time to see if it can improve the boot time.

EvilEye
11-04-05, 05:13 PM
I fixed it! :) I disabled "Enable command queing" for the hard drives and now Windows boots in 20 sek :cool:

AthlonXP1800
11-04-05, 05:38 PM
:lol: You finally did it. I can see why it happened, one of them have NCQ and the other dont have it must caused the NCQ in a state of confusion during boot up process that took 2 min to make a decision what to do next. :D