PDA

View Full Version : DFI and x16 in SLI MB?

Strahd
10-27-05, 03:29 PM
Ok, I'm looking to replace my A8N-SLI Premium because of the fact I have it mounted upside down and the heat pipe technology is effectively useless. What irratates me is the fact there was no warning about this on Asus's website that I found to warn me of this.

Does anyone know if DFI will come out with a dual x16 graphic ports? I don't want to change my motherboard if I can go ahead and get the dual x16 ports (versus x8 in SLI). The only reason I'm looking into changing my current motherboard is how hot it runs, not because of the x8 in SLI versus the X16 but if I'm going to change it, I might as well get it.

I have never tried a DFI motherboard and I have been all over their website and cannot find a mention of them doing a x16 in SLI motherboard.

retsam
10-27-05, 03:37 PM
just one question ...how do you mount a motherboard upside down?.... i just dont see a need for something like that ...why not just mount it the way it was ment to be mounted? i dont think any motherboard maker would even think of testing there motherboards upside down... wow now this is wierd..

J-Mag
10-27-05, 03:58 PM
just one question ...how do you mount a motherboard upside down?.... i just dont see a need for something like that ...why not just mount it the way it was ment to be mounted? i dont think any motherboard maker would even think of testing there motherboards upside down... wow now this is wierd..

All the Lian Li V series cases mount their motherboards inverted. Same with the TJ-06 i beleive...

But the main question is why do you want the 16x ports? It looks like it is only useful if running SLI AA modes.

Also, DFI has not announced a 32x SLI mobo, but Abit has (for AMD, 939).

Strahd
10-27-05, 03:59 PM
My case requires the motherboard to be mounted upside down. I own a Lian-LI V1200b

Strahd
10-27-05, 04:02 PM
@J-Mag if you had read my first post, you would know why :) To recap, since I have to replace my motherboard anyway due to the heat issue, I might as well go ahead and get a 32x motherboard. No sense getting another 16x when I can hold out for a 32x one.

J-Mag
10-27-05, 04:38 PM
@J-Mag if you had read my first post, you would know why :) To recap, since I have to replace my motherboard anyway due to the heat issue, I might as well go ahead and get a 32x motherboard. No sense getting another 16x when I can hold out for a 32x one.

Yeah I read it, but I don't understand the logic...

By the time any game actually uses the extra bandwidth, we will be in socket m2 and you will be buying another motherboard anyway. The ONLY useful application for the 32x lanes is SLI-AA, thats it...

Ask youself this quesiton: Will I be playing the majorety of my games with SLI-AA?

If the answer is No then you are wasting your money.

Strahd
10-27-05, 06:20 PM
What don't you understand maybe I can help. I have to change my motherboard. I need a new one that can be mounted upside down. So you think it's a waste of money buying a 32x lane instead of another 16x lane? I mean I have to change it anyway before it burns up. I turn all the eye candy I can on every game I play to the max.

Gorion
10-27-05, 06:23 PM
I'm holding out for a 32x also.

Every new tech there is always somebody saying "don't buy it, it's a waste of money". "Theres a new tech coming out in 6 months anyway"

Truth be told spending $1k+ on a computer to play games is a waste of money and there is always new tech coming out.

So buy what you like and enjoy :D