PDA

View Full Version : Please help

acrh2
10-27-05, 09:23 PM
http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/9342/monitor7ut.th.jpg (http://img484.imageshack.us/my.php?image=monitor7ut.jpg)

Ever since I installed 81.xx drivers, I have this problem.
Here are the symptoms:
1) If one CRT is connected, I get multiple "Default Monitor" entries in Device Manager.
2) When I open Display Control Panel, windows makes a sound as if it detected a plug-n-play device.
3) I see an extra monitor in the Display Control Panel, which doesn't really exist.
4) When I try to remove all or some of the monitors, windows redetects them on reboot.
5) When I edit the registry and remove all references to the monitors, windows redetects them on reboot.
6) When I try to update monitor drivers, windows says that I arleady have the best match.

Please help.

saturnotaku
10-27-05, 09:58 PM
And this is causing you a problem how?

TierMann
10-27-05, 10:36 PM
It looks like your monitor drivers are allready installed too. Usually it will just show Default Monitor or Plug n Play if it's not.

acrh2
10-28-05, 11:13 AM
I think I figured out what all of these are.
There are 4 dvi connectors with the sli setup, plus 2 tv outs.
I think that's where the 6 monitors total come from.
However, isn't it true that in the previous drivers 7x.xx, those connectors not in use weren't detected?
(I could also be mistaken, this is just a theory of mine).

Roch
10-28-05, 11:37 AM
I'm getting one extra monitor, I've also tried deleting but it reappears on reboot. It's a pain because it defaults to it every restart, I've worked around it by updating it to the proper monitor .inf file for my display, I'm guessing it's probably better to have 2 properly configured monitors in device manager than one, even if it shouldn't be there.

acrh2
10-28-05, 12:02 PM
I'm getting one extra monitor, I've also tried deleting but it reappears on reboot. It's a pain because it defaults to it every restart, I've worked around it by updating it to the proper monitor .inf file for my display, I'm guessing it's probably better to have 2 properly configured monitors in device manager than one, even if it shouldn't be there.

If you want to select which monitor is the default one (numba 1), you must do so from NView.

Also, I think I used to have just one extra default monitor (maybe for the tvout), but now I have 5 more instead of one.

Does anyone know where/how one can permanently remove a monitor? I can't figure out where to delete them. I know it's not in the registry, because I can delete all pertaining keys from the registry (and I do mean all, like all those funny class strings {65D45-A454BF...), and the monitors would still come back. I think there's an .inf lurking somewhere, but I don't know where to look and what to look for.

acrh2
11-09-05, 10:21 AM
UPDATE:

Check this out!

For reasons irrelevant here, I was going through all the service entries in my registry last night ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es]).

I was looking for anything out of the ordinary or suspicious, and setting it to "disabled". I found 5 entries that shouldn't have been there (4 really, but more on that later).
- 2 entries were for SAVRTPEL.SYS and SAVRT.SYS. These were disabled immediately (as I don't use Symantec protection features).
- 1 entry refered to SYMTDI service. This was another service from Symantec, but DHCP Client depended on it, so I had to reenable it. This still need to be investigated, as my other computer also has NAV, but does not require symtdi for dhcp.
- 2 last entries were most interesting. One was a "SafeDisk Driver". This was disabled as well, however I'm not sure which game I have uses it. I'll run them all tonight and see which one wants to reinstall it, if any.
The other was called "ProtectCD", and refered to a .sys file with the property description "Direct Hardware Access Helper Driver". Its Language was German and it looked very suspicious. These two were disabled as well.

So, all in all, I have disabled 2 Symantec security services, 2 CD protection drivers, and disabled and then reenabled SYMTDI. Guess what happened. The multiple Default Monitor problem went away on reboot! Now, if I have only 1 monitor connected, Device manager shows one monitor, just as happily as it did before.
The overclocking tab in Forceware (78.03 official), which didn't work for me before, now works fine.

Talk about game developers installing all this crap on your computer w/o your knowledge or conscent!

P.S. Anyone else experience anything like that?